Author Topic: Chevy 4.3 V-6 conversion in a 1992 Toyota Pick-up. HEADERS??  (Read 3603 times)

WizardMaster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hey all!!

I've been doing a lot of research that never seems to end and most cannot agree on what headers to use! On my 1992 Toyota P/U I have the GM 4.3 early no smog V-6 and I ordered a new set of Hedman headers w/ the part number I found on the tag of the old set.  The part ## is 69410 and I thought I was all set to go....but I did have reserve and didn't heed my own suspicions after seeing what I thought were repair patches on the old rusty set. I jumped the gun and ordered them and found that the header of the driver's side hit's the frame.......And that explains why THAT tube on the old header was removed, reversed and re-welded for frame clearance. The passenger side is fine.  NO I WON"T USE STOCKERS!!

A couple questions are, For those who have the 4.3 GM V-6 in your 87-95 Toyota Pick-up, what headers did you go with, including part numbers if possible. Why is the drivers side frame different than the passenger side frame rail or is it the headers????  I can see for the right drivers side header space, there is plenty of room for pass-through. Then my other alternative is to find a competent welder in my area, take him my old header and new header and tell him to make it match.  I figure IF I can find a welder to do the modification, it won't cost near the $300 or so for a new set of correct headers that will work. BUT, I think I also have cross member issues where the passenger side TH350 cross member  is in the way of the current headers that stop about 6" short and that would be a tight bend for exhaust if I didn't mod the cross member. That's not a real issue.

Anyway, can someone lead me to a site where I can locate the headers I need and I would like full length headers but may consider others. This conversion has been so common that they make kits and adapters for it to this day. I found one site that claims they have the headers( and were out of stock) months back and YOU MUST call them to order. I asked the owner why there were no prices or a place to order and he said he must talk to the individual to make sure they get what they need. I can appreciate that service and his site concentrates on the 4.3 Toyota conversions.. I just wish I hadn't jumped the gun and wasted $250 with Jegs.  Nice headers though AND made in the USA!!!!!!!

IF you look at the header to the left in the photo ( which would be the drivers side), you will see that part that bends up and back down, near the middle. That is what hits my frame! I don't know why that shape is there. It don't serve a purpose except to be a pain is the ass. Thanks for looking and thanks for your help ahead of time.

Yours may go fast,but, mine can go anywhere and if you get in my way, I'll run over you with my big tires, the Taco Box way...... Nice and slowwwwwwww......

WizardMaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
OK, I went to the shop and took comparison photos so you will see what I am talking about. I also found a minor change near the collector on the passenger side header that don't hurt a bit and may even have tightened up the trio.  OK here's the old rusty modified header and the new header side by side. I think too much was done to achieve removing that hump but I will double check fitment again. Sure wish i had my Lincoln 180!!!!

Yours may go fast,but, mine can go anywhere and if you get in my way, I'll run over you with my big tires, the Taco Box way...... Nice and slowwwwwwww......

WizardMaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
On the passenger side header you can see minor changes near the collector.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,896
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
my 93 4.3 swap is ca legal for headers I went with JBAs they came with the compliant sticker I had to cut and re weld the drivers side for clearance in 08 when I passed the ref he saw the sticker and didn't say anything
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon