Author Topic: E-locker still won't disengage with actuator motor off  (Read 2403 times)

ProfessorPeanut

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Member since May '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
E-locker still won't disengage with actuator motor off
« on: Jun 01, 2019, 06:12:53 AM »
Sorry if this has been covered before, I had a hard time figuring out how to search for this.

Long story short, I built an 85 4runner from the ground up this winter and finally have it driveable so I'm trying to work out some of the bugs.

I put an elocker in the front axle and noticed it was binding all the time. I put the front axle on stands yesterday and tried to turn each wheel separately but notice my axle was still locked when the actuator motor was turned off. I pulled the motor off, slid the shift rail over as far as I could, but it still won't unlock. I'm on the road for the next few days so I'm trying to get some pointers for where to start when I get home.

When I hit the locker switch, it turns the indicator light on and off, which tells me that the shift rail is moving. I verified that the shift fork does move by hand. Maybe I forgot to put the shift forks on the locking mechanism? Maybe the ball detent is behind my shift rail, not allowing it to disengage entirely? I did rebuild the diffs this winter so I'm assuming I did something wrong on the assembly.

Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks guys

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16509
  • Male Posts: 1,017
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
are yer hubs unlocked or not disengaging.

RUGER  :usa:  :beerchug: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

ProfessorPeanut [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My hubs disengage fine. It's also drives fine when I unlock my hubs. It's just when they are locked that I have issues, 2wd and 4wd.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
If you cannot manually unlock it, it needs to come out. Simple as that.

Let us know what you find.
hold this. . .

ProfessorPeanut [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I also installed longfields if that means anything to anybody. I did have to grind out my knuckles to get them to fit. I don't hear anything rubbing when the axle is moving but I'm not counting that out quite yet.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
That should not stop it from un-locking, it is something in the locker itself!! I have no idea what it is because I am an ARB man!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

ProfessorPeanut [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Alright internet world, get ready to have your mine blown. It was the silly cotter pin that has it's own installation hole under the motor. It was sticking out just enough to catch on the set screw that goes in the hole. It couldn't have been sticking out more than a 1/16", but it was enough to stop the motor from getting the locking mechanism completely out of the diff. The more you know I guess... :shakehead: 

P.S. I'll add a picture later when I figure out how to do it from my phone.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Alright internet world, get ready to have your mine blown. It was the silly cotter pin that has it's own installation hole under the motor. It was sticking out just enough to catch on the set screw that goes in the hole. It couldn't have been sticking out more than a 1/16", but it was enough to stop the motor from getting the locking mechanism completely out of the diff. The more you know I guess... :shakehead: 

P.S. I'll add a picture later when I figure out how to do it from my phone.

Back from your trip so soon?  It's only been hours, so I assume you just couldn't wait!  Glad you figured it out.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16509
  • Male Posts: 1,017
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
glad you got it squared away

RUGER  :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

ProfessorPeanut [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Back from your trip so soon?  It's only been hours, so I assume you just couldn't wait!  Glad you figured it out.

I wish! I'm in the national guard, so I'm guaranteed to be gone all weekend. Fortunately since its a new build, a hauled a ton of tools with me in case I got bored/stuck. I think I just got lucky and was able to fix this by just pulling the actuator motors.

I hope this is the last of all my "new build" bugs, but we all know how that goes...

Northboundtundra

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Sep '19
  • Northbound Tundra
    • View Profile
Sorry if this has been covered before, I had a hard time figuring out how to search for this.

Long story short, I built an 85 4runner from the ground up this winter and finally have it driveable so I'm trying to work out some of the bugs.

I put an elocker in the front axle and noticed it was binding all the time. I put the front axle on stands yesterday and tried to turn each wheel separately but notice my axle was still locked when the actuator motor was turned off. I pulled the motor off, slid the shift rail over as far as I could, but it still won't unlock. I'm on the road for the next few days so I'm trying to get some pointers for where to start when I get home.

When I hit the locker switch, it turns the indicator light on and off, which tells me that the shift rail is moving. I verified that the shift fork does move by hand. Maybe I forgot to put the shift forks on the locking mechanism? Maybe the ball detent is behind my shift rail, not allowing it to disengage entirely? I did rebuild the diffs this winter so I'm assuming I did something wrong on the assembly.

Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks guys

Is it a factory style locker.
2001 A/C Tundra with 2UZFE v8 and R150F 5spd manual transmission swap