Author Topic: Holley Sniper EFI 2300??  (Read 7649 times)

Yotaoverland

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Holley Sniper EFI 2300??
« on: May 21, 2019, 06:33:02 AM »
Is anyone running the Holley EFI Sniper kit? I’m considering ditching my Weber since it keeps falling apart.
I’ve heard this is a great kit but I don’t know much about them.
1980 pickup LWB
22reperformance 22r
L-52 5spd
4.7 Tcase
Detroit Trutrac

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: Holley Sniper EFI 2300??
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 11:22:41 AM »
Not sure about your particular system but a friend of mine has a holley tbi on his 40.  Its has an annoying drivability issue because of the holley fuel map.  What happens is the map transfer is right where you are higher idle crawling etc.  So the ecu is continually back and forth between those segments.
Something to consider
hold this. . .

superex87

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2019, 04:56:04 PM »
I am currently fighting with  this exact setup on my brothers cj-7 with AMC 258. It has been nothing but problems. I will list them to keep them organized as there are a few.

1. Proprietary parts - Injectors, TPS, Fuel pressure regu8lator ect. As far as I can tell these are not off shelf parts. If they are Holley will not assist you with finding replacements. They want you to send the whole thing back to them to "service "  it. Which equals 2 weeks down time.

2. IT IS NOT PLUG AND PLAY! In the advertisements Holley states you don't need a computer to get this running. That is a blatant lie. Many of the features are not accessible from the touch screen. The software is not intuitive and will take you a long time to figure out if you have never messed with tuning software before. The manual does not go over the software at all.

3. We are currently using the negative side of the coil for a rpm signal and its shitty. Lots of guys out there having problems with electrical noise and interference causing it to run bad. To make this system work you need to drop another 1K+ into their special ignition system.

4. After we installed this on the jeep we had a hard timing getting it to start. Adjusted the fuel map a bunch and we got it starting and running ok. Randomly starting stalling when transitioning from throttle to idle. Over 2 weeks got worse then died completely. One injector was not spraying (both injectors should spray together). Injectors both tested good at 11 ohms. Wiring looked ok. i suspected a failed injector driver or computer. Called Holley and they wanted me to send it in to them for them to test. After initial communication a new in the box unit showed up with no explanation or communication. Installed new unit and the jeep starts on the initial fuel prime then stalled. It will not fuel after that initial start. I can jeep engine running with starting fluid. Holley is using the customer to R & D their product and they don't care how it screws over their customers. They know they have a problem but as far as I can see they have done nothing to fix it.

5. The computer is attached to the injection unit and is sealed with a resin of sorts so you cannot inspect the board. All so exposes the board to a lot of heat, moisture and vibration. Terrible engineering in my opinion.

6. The injectors feed into two rings that have a few tiny holes drilled into them in a poor attempt at better atomization. This is a lost cause as the injection holes are ABOVE the throttle blades. So the fuel just puddles on the throttle blades at idle anyways.

If there is a OEM injection manifold (or you can modify the carb manifold to accept injectors) then this is the way to go. Your going to have to learn how to tune anyways so you may as well build a Mega squirt engine management system for it. In the end you will be WAY ahead in money spent and you can get off the shelf parts to fix it when the need arises.

Hope this helps lol

Edited- Got the cj-7 running. Turns out we had a bad load of gas. My brother filled the tank up right before it started giving us trouble. Drained and refilled with good fuel and it fired right up. We ended up using the Holley hyperspark distributor instead of the stock coil. Fires right up and so far has been running good without any more problems.

5. After it is all said and done you will spend the same or more to get it running right then you will spend on a proper high end fuel injection system. You are getting what you pay for here.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2019, 10:14:43 AM by superex87 »

Yotaoverland [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2019, 06:59:52 AM »
I am currently fighting with  this exact setup on my brothers cj-7 with AMC 258. It has been nothing but problems. I will list them to keep them organized as there are a few.

1. Proprietary parts - Injectors, TPS, Fuel pressure regu8lator ect. As far as I can tell these are not off shelf parts. If they are Holley will not assist you with finding replacements. They want you to send the whole thing back to them to "service "  it. Which equals 2 weeks down time.

2. IT IS NOT PLUG AND PLAY! In the advertisements Holley states you don't need a computer to get this running. That is a blatant lie. Many of the features are not accessible from the touch screen. The software is not intuitive and will take you a long time to figure out if you have never messed with tuning software before. The manual does not go over the software at all.

3. We are currently using the negative side of the coil for a rpm signal and its shitty. Lots of guys out there having problems with electrical noise and interference causing it to run bad. To make this system work you need to drop another 1K+ into their special ignition system.

4. After we installed this on the jeep we had a hard timing getting it to start. Adjusted the fuel map a bunch and we got it starting and running ok. Randomly starting stalling when transitioning from throttle to idle. Over 2 weeks got worse then died completely. One injector was not spraying (both injectors should spray together). Injectors both tested good at 11 ohms. Wiring looked ok. i suspected a failed injector driver or computer. Called Holley and they wanted me to send it in to them for them to test. After initial communication a new in the box unit showed up with no explanation or communication. Installed new unit and the jeep starts on the initial fuel prime then stalled. It will not fuel after that initial start. I can jeep engine running with starting fluid. Holley is using the customer to R & D their product and they don't care how it screws over their customers. They know they have a problem but as far as I can see they have done nothing to fix it.

5. The computer is attached to the injection unit and is sealed with a resin of sorts so you cannot inspect the board. All so exposes the board to a lot of heat, moisture and vibration. Terrible engineering in my opinion.

6. The injectors feed into two rings that have a few tiny holes drilled into them in a poor attempt at better atomization. This is a lost cause as the injection holes are ABOVE the throttle blades. So the fuel just puddles on the throttle blades at idle anyways.

If there is a OEM injection manifold (or you can modify the carb manifold to accept injectors) then this is the way to go. Your going to have to learn how to tune anyways so you may as well build a Mega squirt engine management system for it. In the end you will be WAY ahead in money spent and you can get off the shelf parts to fix it when the need arises.

Hope this helps lol

5. After it is all said and done you will spend the same or more to get it running right then you will spend on a proper high end fuel injection system. You are getting what you pay for here.

Crap.. maybe I’ll just wait and do a real EFI swap onto my 22r from a 22re truck..
1980 pickup LWB
22reperformance 22r
L-52 5spd
4.7 Tcase
Detroit Trutrac

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2019, 06:25:16 AM »
As you know I'm a 3rz swap advocate. However I have installed the fitech set up on. Quite a few sbc and bbf in the past year or so. They work very well and have given no problems to the guys I've installed them for. Not sure if they have one small enough for a 22r though. May want to give them a call.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

bigwill837

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Jul '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2019, 01:10:16 PM »
Following.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 534
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2019, 04:53:33 PM »
For a smog control state or just staying stock, the 22RE swap is best. If you don't have to adhere to the silly smog rules and plan on mods later the 22RE bits with a stand-alone is best. All that is if you are a purist and gotta keep the 22R. If you really don't care about what engine is in there then a swap to something other than a 22RE could be an option.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

thegerb05

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2024, 02:13:15 PM »
Disclaimer: I'm copying my original post and pasting to multiple forums so that I don't have to type so dam much.

You probably have it all sorted out by now but for those who are looking to make the swap, this may help. I have the sniper 2300 efi setup on my 22r and absolutely love it. However, fair warning -- there is a HUGE learning curve with this setup. Firstly, you'll need to port the intake manifold so that the adapter relays a smooth transition. More on general setup here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu_ixe1YGCM&t=235s

and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4f3p-LWmjM

That should get you started. What these videos don't tell you is that the sniper will need to be tuned. Holley claims these setups are "self-tuning." That couldn't be further from the truth. Once you set the carb to learn, you'll need to drive around a bit and tell it to transfer what the carb has learned to your base fuel map. Doing this multiple times will start to make your 22r run better although, it doesn't end there. This can be on the handheld or through sniper program on your computer. That said...

You should download the sniper software to install on your computer. That can be found at Holley.com. Same is true for updating the handheld's SD card contents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR1KC4qcewU

Keep in mind that even if you go through this incredible learning curve, it still won't beat taking your rig to get professionally tuned. That's why the "self-tuning" claim made by Holley is a murky claim at best. But if you're dead-set on DIYing this like I did, this video is without a doubt one of the better tutorials out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cviwJki7olk&list=LL&index=25

Here are a couple more that were also helpful to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ppzR0lfXk&list=LL&index=27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpBwK8Tdqpc&list=LL&index=26

Also, I don't have my setup connected to the distributor so the carb isn't controlling my timing. It hasn't been a big deal for me though but you should make sure to have your timing squared away before all is said and done. Hope this helps!

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2024, 02:37:05 PM »
Disclaimer: I'm copying my original post and pasting to multiple forums so that I don't have to type so dam much.

Sharing knowledge like this is always a very generous offer.

You should get a deposit in your Karma Bank. :thumbs:

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Yotaoverland [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2024, 03:49:14 PM »

You probably have it all sorted out by now but for those who are looking to make the swap, this may help. I have the sniper 2300 efi setup on my 22r and absolutely love it. However, fair warning -- there is a HUGE learning curve with this setup. Firstly, you'll need to port the intake manifold so that the adapter relays a smooth transition. More on general setup here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu_ixe1YGCM&t=235s

That should get you started. What these videos don't tell you is that the sniper will need to be tuned. Holley claims these setups are "self-tuning." That couldn't be further from the truth. Once you set the carb to learn, you'll need to drive around a bit and tell it to transfer what the carb has learned to your base fuel map. Doing this multiple times will start to make your 22r run better although, it doesn't end there. This can be on the handheld or through sniper program on your computer. That said...

You should download the sniper software to install on your computer. That can be found at Holley.com. Same is true for updating the handheld's SD card contents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR1KC4qcewU

Keep in mind that even if you go through this incredible learning curve, it still won't beat taking your rig to get professionally tuned. That's why the "self-tuning" claim made by Holley is a murky claim at best. But if you're dead-set on DIYing this like I did, this video is without a doubt one of the better tutorials out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cviwJki7olk&list=LL&index=25

Here are a couple more that were also helpful to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ppzR0lfXk&list=LL&index=27

Also, I don't have my setup connected to the distributor so the carb isn't controlling my timing. It hasn't been a big deal for me though but you should make sure to have your timing squared away before all is said and done. Hope this helps!

Thank you for such an in-depth information filled response!
I actually have not gotten a sniper kit. I was pretty discouraged when I called LCE ( think it was them) and was told they don't sell the sniper kit for 22r anymore because it was known to damage 22rs on long road trip like driving.
1980 pickup LWB
22reperformance 22r
L-52 5spd
4.7 Tcase
Detroit Trutrac

thegerb05

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2024, 04:06:56 PM »
No problem! I haven't had any issues with mine yet and I frequently drive on the highway. It's worth noting however, that the master kit comes with an obnoxiously loud electronic fuel pump so it may be worth considering a different pump or using the standard mechanical pump 22rs come with.

bunyan84

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2024, 06:06:58 PM »
No problem! I haven't had any issues with mine yet and I frequently drive on the highway. It's worth noting however, that the master kit comes with an obnoxiously loud electronic fuel pump so it may be worth considering a different pump or using the standard mechanical pump 22rs come with.

how many miles you put on that sniper?

bunyan84

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2024, 06:10:42 PM »

thankyou for this i was having some trouble finding some good informational youtube vids.