Author Topic: Toy mechanic  (Read 2431 times)

monyman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 259
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Toy mechanic
« on: Apr 27, 2019, 08:35:52 PM »
My brother is thinking of buying a trail Toyota, but he's not mechanically inclined and so wants to know if anyone would recommend a mechanic (somewhat) near Pleasanton, CA. If no mechanic, then no trail Toyota. Thoughts?
2001 Tacoma double cab SR5: 3.4l V6, Diamond axles, 5.29s, duals, ARBs, PSC hydro, 4 wheel discs, 38.5 TrXus and stuff

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Toy mechanic
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2019, 09:35:54 PM »
there is a pretty awesome toyota place in concord so I have heard... https://toyotapro.com/

there are a lot of people around here that would lend a hand if he is willing to work on it himself
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,238
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2019, 04:45:03 AM »
My brother is thinking of buying a trail Toyota, but he's not mechanically inclined and so wants to know if anyone would recommend a mechanic (somewhat) near Pleasanton, CA. If no mechanic, then no trail Toyota. Thoughts?

Thoughts....

Active trail running, and especially 4-wheeling, typically requires lots and lots of maintenance and repair to a vehicle.  Damage is almost a certainty.  Cost can be a big factor for most of us.  Cost of having someone do that maintenance and repair can be high.

Friends that have shop tools and shop skills is very handy.  Joining a club to gain fellow wheeling friendships can be a big plus.

A daily driver and trail vehicle requires more immediate attention.  A trailer queen requires a tow vehicle and trailer.  There are trade-offs to almost everything.

If paying someone to do that work, choose very carefully and be very aware of what to expect to pay in time and money.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2019, 07:49:30 AM »
Imo if you are seriously offroading, you need to know how to turn a wrench. No one, i repeat, no one wants to fix or be stuck behind your broken rig on their vacation.
hold this. . .

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2019, 12:47:47 PM »
Anyone who wheels should at least have the ability to diagnose basic issues and change parts, if his lack of mechanical ability is due to not being exposed to it, and he really wants to get involved in wheeling, he needs to buy a stock rig and a factory service manual, and learn the basics from servicing the rig.  From there wheel it stock, go through the general bolt-on upgrades, fix what he breaks, and then when it is time for upgrades that are beyond his ability, like an SAS if he starts with IFS, pay for them to be done. 
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

cbeers

• Online Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4347
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 05:52:17 PM »
I couldn't agree more.  While I am no mechanic, I am learning a ton about my rig and feel reasonably capable when the time comes for a fix.  Note, not if...when.  it will happen.  All the prep in the world can't account for everything, every time.

I would second Snowtoy's thoughts and if he is serious about learning this hobby, join a club and get real world experience with a support group.

I only have a rig in perpetual park mode so take that for what it's worth   :beerchug:

CB

monyman [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 259
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 04:20:09 PM »
Some back story is warranted. He's been wheeling for 15+ years, is a long time member of a Cal4Wheel club, has his ham license, has had 3 rigs (both Toyotas and Jeeps), currently has a very built rig running Fordyce and others, and has resources to keep up with his rig. He's just not overly mechanically inclined and is looking for a mechanic. Thanks for the input and keep it coming.
2001 Tacoma double cab SR5: 3.4l V6, Diamond axles, 5.29s, duals, ARBs, PSC hydro, 4 wheel discs, 38.5 TrXus and stuff

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 07:13:50 PM »
good to go
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,238
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 07:27:07 PM »
Some back story is warranted. He's been wheeling for 15+ years, is a long time member of a Cal4Wheel club, has his ham license, has had 3 rigs (both Toyotas and Jeeps), currently has a very built rig running Fordyce and others, and has resources to keep up with his rig. He's just not overly mechanically inclined and is looking for a mechanic. Thanks for the input and keep it coming.

Wow... your post was VERY misleading!  :thumbdown:

I'm curious what your ulterior motive was.  :dunno:

Based upon your "back story" if your brother needs help with finding a mechanic he is probably so badly disconnected from the 4-wheeling community he has another problem.  :gap:

Gnarls.  :driving:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

WizardMaster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2019, 02:30:52 PM »
Some 'other' habits are hard to break and need funding I spose. My automotive  mechanic charges $100 hr. Good thing he's a close friend so I borrow from him, what tools I don't have!! :D :D
Yours may go fast,but, mine can go anywhere and if you get in my way, I'll run over you with my big tires, the Taco Box way...... Nice and slowwwwwwww......