Author Topic: L52 swap for an L45 in 82 Hilux 4wd diesel with 2 piece bell housing?!  (Read 1490 times)

geoffraynak

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone
VERY new guy here looking to get some questions answered.
Generally competent with the internet ... but I feel mostly incompetent with this oddball truck:
so looking for some help:

We have an '82 HiLux 4WD Diesel that was imported to the US from Australia...
It is RHD ...
The owner was going to use it as his in-town Bay Area daily beast ... but the motor completely blew about a week after the car was imported.
We are now resurrecting the truck as an electric conversion... and want to look into a 5-speed for versatility and range benefits.

Here are truck details:
VIN plate says:
Model: LN 46R-KRPQ
Engine: L
Trans/ Axle: L45 G142
Pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/WHxBPFnDTric1uZ18

I'm able to decipher all these codes pretty well ...
and know that it had a 2.2L diesel ... and 4.875 rear end.
mated to the L45 transmission

But here is my question:
CAN WE DO A 1-TO-1 SWAP WITH AN L52 EVEN WITH THIS TWO-PIECE BELLHOUSING?

there is a thread here:
https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89749.0
that says the L52 will be a 1:1 swap for the L45
we are hoping to not need to fab new cross members or move the linkage holes in the tunnel ...

and this page seems to indicate that the two transmission are the same length (20.875)
https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/transmission/transmission-gear-ratio-chart

But I'm trying to confirm that it will be the same 1:1 for the two-piece bellhousing?!

If yes ... the plan would be to get the 'HD' version of the L52 ...
https://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/rebuilt-complete/l52

the electric motor will output about 130HP and 170 ft-lb of torque

thanks in advance, everyone!

geoff
https://www.instagram.com/momentmotors/

jmac80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 184
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
short answer is no....Im 99% sure

there is a write up on yotatech related to this...82 diesel looking to swap in l52.....i didn't look beyond first reply but dude was saying what I thought based on below:

....this is me, not the yotatech post.....I have an 80 (gas burner) that someone else swapped a l52 in place of l45.  I believe you will need the crossmember and to weld in frame mounts for the l52 (which you don't have) in order for it to fit.  My frame mounts look different from yours and appear to sit forward of what your pics look like and from where I can see marks on my frame.  I don't know why they even cut mine off unless they tried to move those first and realized it wouldn't work.  You will have no 2nd (front bell housing w/ l52).  You will also have to deal with drive shaft alterations (likely both front and rear).  At least w/ my 20r I have had slave cylinder issues and have to use a late model slave cylinder with weird connections to mesh with earlier model hoses...you have a later model but it is diesel and not US so I know nothing about that.

I will try and post pics of mine below for reference, but also totally off topic...You mentioned the import status.  I live in Oakland and looked at buying an imported samurai from Asia (guy already had it on peninsula and was selling on CL) as you can find nice ones for cheap.  I researched what it took to get it tagged/to pass smog...and it is virtually impossible for something this old. 

Onward with rant, I did switch a w56 into an 81, which is what you should do given you have to move the mounts anyway.  The w56 is WAY better than the l-series for cruising around town and on highway.  I mounted to w56 cross member (which you can find easily) onto angle iron welded to frame and drilled.  You will also need to lop off ends of xmember and weld angle iron onto that and drill to match up with frame mounts.  You will also have to cut a little of the cab out for shifter...but not much...it can still look very clean.  You will almost definitely have to do some flange matching/drilling as well.

let us know what you end up doing.....tell dude to check the requirements for getting tags because I believe he will find it's damn near impossible.

also, welcome :moods:
1980 long bed; 20R; L52; 3" OME; 30-spline Marfields; Marlin high steer; PS; AC

jmac80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
Here's pics

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

geoffraynak [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
thanks for your note JMAC80 ...

I'm a bit confused ... for sure....

i am looking at the "rear support member' on our 82 4x4 diesel ... and ... from our images ... it appears to be identical between the L45 and the L52
if you look at my album again ... the "transfer adaptor" does not get a special call-out in the FSM
so ... if the 4wd t-case adapter is identical ... then the trans should just bolt to the front of the adapter with zero issues
i don't care where the trans bell housing ends up
i just want to keep the t-case (and transfer adapter) in the same place as currently in the truck
if they stay where they are ... then all the shifter holes in the tunnel stay in the right place
and more importantly ...all the prop shafts can remain un-altered

is my logic sound here?

if the transfer adapter is the actual transmission mount ... and it mounts to the crossmember ... and the transfer adapters in L45/L52 are identical ...
then we should be fine for the tranny swap!?

thanks for playing along!!!

geoff

jmac80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/5-speed-swap-into-1982-4x4-253564/

I don't think it's gonna be a direct swap and that secondary bell housing makes me think it diesel specific and your bolt patterns on block may be different.  If you're gonna buy the l52 from MC, just call and ask them.  They will know and look at your pictures.

less interesting, here's the CA DMV BS on the import....I don't think he can get tags.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr09a

geoffraynak [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
sooo ... we are lucky ... since our HILUX already has CA tags ... that part is taken care of ...
i don't know the full story ... but it has plates and was driving around SF when it blew.

AND ... we are NOT keeping the diesel ... we are converting to electric ... so we are making whatever adapter plate we want to whatever bellhousing there is...
in fact ... i already have the 22R pattern in CAD ... so I'm part way there.

is my logic sound ... that the transfer adapter for the L45 and the L52 are identical?
if yes ... then i think i'm good to go?

jmac80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
I think your good to go then......I wasn't following you when you were saying electric earlier.  I get ya, now though.