Author Topic: Protective coating for solid axle locking hub bodies  (Read 696 times)

83_P/U_4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Dreaming of Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Protective coating for solid axle locking hub bodies
« on: Apr 08, 2019, 08:31:50 AM »
Hey Everyone!

I’m crowd sourcing to figure out if putting POR-15 on the locking hub bodies to protect them won’t damage them and if it is something that is recommended (not necessarily POR-15).

In many videos and some forums I can’t find anyone using a protective coating on the metal body but I’ve also never seen it specified not to.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arlindsay1992

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 418
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Are we talking about the shiny hub bodies? Not the dial and cover? The hub body is steel with a thick and durable chrome plating. Most of them are still shiny after 30 years of neglect. I've seen some with light rust speckling. Nothing will reliably stick to the chrome so you'll have to chemically remove it. Once you do that I doubt anything will stand up to rust as well as the chrome. Also, without the chrome plating on the inside, the clutch that actually moves back and forth might not slide as well. Not sure if that's a valid concern.

What are you actually trying to accomplish here?

83_P/U_4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Dreaming of Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Mine was still shiny but I haven’t had it for those 30 years, I’m hoping to just keep it protected from any wear and tear from day to day use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk