Author Topic: Everything that was wrong with your used Toyota  (Read 3123 times)

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Everything that was wrong with your used Toyota
« on: Apr 07, 2019, 05:04:30 AM »
I thought it might be entertaining to have a thread about the signs of abuse, strange quirks, badly done maintainance, etc that we have found on used Toyotas. I'll start with a partial list from mine:

Transmission filled with motor oil (at least, it was a strange thin brown fluid, not the proper transmission fluid...). This caused tremendous wear on the synchros and eventually trouble with the 2nd gear syncro.
Oil pressure switch twisted off in the block and replaced with a sheet metal screw
High Altitude Compensator broken with no attempt to repair or plug vacuum leaks
A grease zerk substituted for a brake bleeder
A missing internal shroud in a tail light causing the whole fixture to light up whenever any bulb came on
Valves set to zero clearance
Rear brakes destroyed and not replaced
Radiator broken loose from radiator bracket, with a failed (attempt at a) repair with JB-weld
Included jack destroyed by overloading.
The caliper support spring was removed from the front brakes, causing the shoes to drag
Choke so badly out of adjustment that the choke and high idle system did not work

That's about it for me. Post up your entertaining, crazy, or just plain weird things you found in an old Toyota!

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I found my '80 in a newspaper ad in the parts section.  It said there was a title and it ran when parked but the trans was probably bad.  It was a ranch truck that hadn't left the dirt for about 13 years, so while it had just barely turned over 100K it had some abuse and odd issues.

We were actually able to start it in gear and drive it onto the trailer.

Here is a list of the bad and odd things...

1)  Bad clutch slave.  This was all that was wrong with the trans :)

2)  The brakes pulled hard to the left.  I bled them and found red hydraulic fluid coming out of one side and brake fluid coming out the other.

3)  Seat belts wouldn't latch.  I went to replace them with some spares and found what looked like old grass plugging up the slots. 
     Turns out they were full of cow poop.   :gap:

4)  Bed rails were kind of S shaped.  A little work with a jack, ratchet straps and a BFH fixed that.

5)  One missing headlight.

6)  Bullet hole through the passenger side inner fender.  The angle looked as if if would have taken out the radiator. 
     That must have been interesting.

7)  Yellow cab top grafted on to a tan pickup.  Underside of the hood is yellow too.  Must have been in a rollover at one time.

8)  After a bit of driving I kept getting my fuel filter plugged up with this black stuff. 
     I finally dropped the tank and blew out the lines and found about 18" of deteriorating black hose in the tank.

9)  Intermittent dash lights and heater blower.  The fuse block was all crusty and green.  Unhooked the battery and took a wire brush to it. 
     Problem solved.

10) Had a gun rack in it.  Not sure how your head is supposed to fit in there with a gun rack, much less with guns in it.

Really wasn't that bad at all, especially for $250.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2019, 03:40:59 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
The caliper support spring was removed from the front brakes, causing the shoes to drag

What are you even talking about here?

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer

Drum brakes
Time to go wheelin!

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
No issues when I got mine. It was a cream puff that a grandpa owned and was garage kept.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I thought it might be entertaining to have a thread about the signs of abuse, strange quirks, badly done maintainance, etc that we have found on used Toyotas.

I don’t think there is anything particularly entertaining about finding a legendary early Toyota vehicle like the pickups and 4Runners that has been pathetically and stupidly misused, not properly maintained, and carelessly driven until it won’t run.

How many people who own and drive a vehicle do not know it requires proper maintenance or it will fail to operate?

Buying a used vehicle that has been thrashed is a choice.  I have bought used vehicles and chose NOT to buy one that was obviously not maintained or abused.  Resurrecting and bringing back to life a classic vehicle from a coffin, or rescuing a vehicle from a life of abuse is commendable and many people do it with incredible pride, talent, time, and money.

A major disappointing and sad reality during my 33 years of 4-wheeling is witnessing the guy who starts his journey into the ego-boosted-adrenalin-pumping 4-wheeling hobby with a beautiful pristine $30,000 vehicle and within a year or two it’s almost unrecognizable because it’s been damaged and thrashed, and sometimes literally destroyed in a rollover.  Then he spends $10,000 adding parts to it so it he can go out and thrash it some more.  At the end of a several years the $40,000 spent on his vehicle is worth $400 in used junk spare parts on Craig’s List......

..... BUT...  he might tell you that he had a REALLY great time.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2019, 04:19:05 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile

According to the FSM and the parts list, there is a spring to keep the front calipers from dragging on the disks when the brakes are not applied. Apparently, at some point someone decided that part was optional because when we did the front brake job it was just gone.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
The DIYer probably couldn't figure out how they went back in after switching pads, have found them installed backwards before, or they had broke and he was too cheep to buy buy new hardware.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
The DIYer probably couldn't figure out how they went back in after switching pads, have found them installed backwards before, or they had broke and he was too cheep to buy buy new hardware.

Given that this was the guy who used a grease zerk as a brake bleeder and put some thin brown not-transmission fluid into the transmission, none of the above would surprise me

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
I think I have found works done by one of his relatives here in Cali, had one where someone did a t-chain, then could adjust the distributor enough to set the timing, so they cut the end of adjustment arm off.  I imagine as they were hacking away at the arming, they were cussing out the stupid Japanese engineers for not making the arm long enough, like it was an engineering issue and not an installer one. :laugh:
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
According to the FSM and the parts list, there is a spring to keep the front calipers from dragging on the disks when the brakes are not applied. Apparently, at some point someone decided that part was optional because when we did the front brake job it was just gone.

Now I know what you are talking about. These are springs to hold the pads away from the rotors. The part that retracts the caliper pistons is the square-cut seal.

Oh, and shoes go with drum brakes and have a few springs to retract them.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Chewing gum wrappers around blown fuses

1/2" brass ball valve under the hood going to the heater core

Body lift made from 2 pieces of angle welded together

Seat held in by deck screws and fender washers to a 2x4 under the rusted out floor

Plexiglass roll up window on an 84 4runner tailgate

U joint caps welded to the yoke

Front black calipers on wrong sides with the bleeder at the bottom

Many electric fuel pumps on carb 22r engines that had no regulator so it washed the rings

Tailgate on a 94 patched with a .063 aluminum sign with tons of bondo on it.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but those are the ones off the top of my head.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
Oh, right...

The radio in my truck is an aftermarket job. To get power to the unit the installer ran a wire to the driver's side fuse box and jammed a spade terminal in beside a fuse. Then they left a loose wire with a bare end that intermittently contacted bare metal and caused the horn fuse to blow. :shake_head:

Also, at one point they apparently had trouble with the horn blowing constantly, or something. I don't know. The previous owner's brilliant solution was to file down the brass horn contact in the steering wheel until it couldn't work any more.

The driver's seat was mounted with one roller out of it's track, and one track broken so it couldn't lean forward or move properly. Then they mounted the track with a sketchy welded bracket that made it impossible to get a wrench on the mounting bolt.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Had a friend put His clutch in backwards twice.  :_oops:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
How?
Had a friend put His clutch in backwards twice.  :_oops:

How?