Author Topic: Looking for info for a 22RE rebuild  (Read 1673 times)

mountain,man1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 78
  • Member since Jan '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Looking for info for a 22RE rebuild
« on: Mar 31, 2019, 06:10:08 PM »
I'm thinking of rebuilding my 22RE in the next year or so. I've been looking around for long blocks or a full crate engine but the prices are a little steep for me. Was wondering how much folks typically spend taking their blocks to a machine shop to have them cleaned and bored and how much of a boar folks typically go. My engine runs good but is a little poochie at times. At the very least I need a new head because my spark plugs are seized and can't put an exhaust header on because I have 3 exhaust manifold bolts that keep falling out. Also wondering is it possible to rethread my spark plug holes for a slightly fatter spark plug
88 TurdRunner 22RE W56B 31x10.5R15 no lift rust assisted weight reduction 100% trail damage

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Looking for info for a 22RE rebuild
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2019, 10:13:39 PM »
I spent $800 in total for all my machine work for my 22R rebuild. Block work, head work, everything.

How much it needs to be Bored depends on 2 things. How worn/damaged it is, and how much it's been Bored before.

For example, mine was Bored .020" over. The machine shop will tell you, and you buy parts off of that.

Machine Shops can also fix those bolt holes, but so can you. It's easier than you think. I fixed a stripped exhaust manifold bolt hole by drilling and tapping it for a heli-coil thread insert. Works great for me, no leaks. Same with the bolt holes for the spark plugs. You can use heli-coil on those too.

I wouldn't recommend a pre-built short block either, unless you were to go with 22RE performance. They make fantastic stock motors. However. They are $3500, and have a 32 week wait time.
You never know the internal parts used on cheap rebuilt motors.

A few things I learned on my rebuild:

Just get a new crank. Avoid the headaches of a poor sealing rear main, weaker crank since it's ground. $250 from LC engineering.

Use new hardware for everything. I've worked with old hardware on these trucks, overtime the everything gets rounded or stripped. I bought new hardware for everything, and it had served me well. Cheap, and worth while.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

mountain,man1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 78
  • Member since Jan '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2019, 05:55:36 PM »
I found a new engine. https://www.toyotatruckengine.com/brand-new-toyota-22r-or-22re-long-block-all-new-22r-or-22re-engine/

Has anybody purchased from this company? It looks like it would be worth it to me then I can still have my truck going while I build up the engine I have. I've done an engine swap on my truck once about a year before I bought it off my buddy but it was a junkyard engine. I've never built a whole engine before. Not going to lie I'm a little nervous about building an engine.
88 TurdRunner 22RE W56B 31x10.5R15 no lift rust assisted weight reduction 100% trail damage

arlindsay1992

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 418
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2019, 07:03:09 AM »
Qualtity rebuilds require quality parts. Most of the crate motors you can buy for $2000 or so are built as cheap as possible. There are only two or three places I'd consider to buy a rebuilt motor from, and only one I eventually decided to buy from. Buy quality parts and rebuild it yourself or spend the coin.

I'd trust a used original engine off Craigslist over a cheap rebuilt engine any day of the week.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2019, 01:38:11 PM »
Found a couple reviews
http://www.scamion.com/toyotatruckengine-com-d3

Yelp
https://www.yelp.com/biz/aaa-auto-performance-colorado-springs

CO's Better Business Profile
https://www.bbb.org/us/co/colorado-springs/profile/auto-repair/aaa-auto-performance-0785-6303236

I would call and ask who supplies their parts, ifthey don't tell you, they are likely Chinese, possibly Indian, otherwise they should be willing to say.

Personally, I would rather pick up one out of the wrecking yard w/200k on it and run it while you rebuild/have rebuilt your current engine.

My engine runs good but is a little poochie at times.

What is it doing when it does this?

At the very least I need a new head because my spark plugs are seized and can't put an exhaust header on because I have 3 exhaust manifold bolts that keep falling out.

Have you tried spraying Power Blaster around the plugs, and seeing if you can free them?

For the stripped bolts on the exhaust manifold, you can go with the "standard" sized stud that is in between the metric sizes, and retap, or as mentioned try helicoil.  Exhaust leaks will cause performance issues

Before buying anything, I would try to remove the plugs, and then do a compression check and adjust the valves, if compression is good, do a basic tune-up, spark plugs/wires, cap/rotor, air filter, test for vacuum leaks, test VSV's, water temp sensor, egr valve/smog equipment, etc., you may not need a rebuild after all.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,238
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2019, 08:43:07 PM »

:haha:  "My engine runs good but is a little poochie at times."   :laugh:

What is it doing when it does this?   :rofl:

It's getting ready for some "hoochie koochie"!!!!!  :rofl:

Gnarls.  :lipsrsealed:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein