Author Topic: Smith and Wesson Consumer Safety Alert for M&P15-22  (Read 1149 times)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
".........breech face counter bore depth was not within manufacturing specification......."  What did they do, offshore manufacturing of the bolt to the ChiComs. 

The entire "inspect it yourself", while simple, is going to but them in the a$$ liability wise, I can't believe their Attorneys signed off on the process.  They should be telling their customers to take their model in and have a gunsmith or firearm store inspect for them, just as is done with vehicle safety recalls. 
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

jimbo74 [OP]

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Glad I built a 22lr on an AR15 lower
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,218
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
".........breech face counter bore depth was not within manufacturing specification......."  What did they do, offshore manufacturing of the bolt to the ChiComs. 

The entire "inspect it yourself", while simple, is going to but them in the a$$ liability wise, I can't believe their Attorneys signed off on the process.  They should be telling their customers to take their model in and have a gunsmith or firearm store inspect for them, just as is done with vehicle safety recalls. 

RESURRECTION:

Looks like a typical corporate "cost/risk" analysis.  Attorneys seem to always filter their version of the "law" through these ... $$$.  :gap:

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein