Author Topic: My spark plugs !  (Read 3657 times)

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
My spark plugs !
« on: Mar 05, 2019, 10:26:24 AM »
Maybe some of you engine guys can help me out. What are these spark plugs telling us? The intake on my daily driver (84 22R) sprung a coolant leak. Before pulling the intake to repair it, I decided to do a compression test and found all four of my plugs looking like this  :yikes: 

The engine has been using oil for years now (no leaks). I'm ASSUMING the condition of the plugs are a result of burning oil?  ???
Does the fact that all four plugs have the same buildup tell me anything about why I'm using oil ?

My compression tester gave up after the second cylinder but I believe my compression is acceptable.

Right now my plan of action is to repair the coolant leak, change plugs, wires etc. and see what happens
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1856
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Re: My spark plugs !
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11:11:24 AM »
Burning oil.  Most common 2 locations, past rings and past valve seals.  Most likely is rings if all 4 doing same thing.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11:27:55 AM »
Mine look just slightly better than that but I have to change them fairly often due to bad valve stem seals.  They barely leaked when I bought it in 03 and were batmanning the highway after putting down dirt roads the last couple deer seasons
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2019, 12:38:58 PM »
Burning oil.  Most common 2 locations, past rings and past valve seals. Most likely is rings if all 4 doing same thing.
  :rivers: I was really hoping to find out that the plugs where a sure sign my valve seals where bad and some new ones would fix it right up. I didn't figure I'd get that lucky.

Mine look just slightly better than that but I have to change them fairly often due to bad valve stem seals.  They barely leaked when I bought it in 03 and were batmanning the highway after putting down dirt roads the last couple deer seasons
How did you determine that it is your valve seals ?

80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2019, 12:51:17 PM »
The answer can be found with a bore scope.
Ring wash will be seen around the edge of the pistons if it's the rings failing.
Large amounts of oil dripping from the valves when open will be your indication of valve seals.
A quality bore scope can tell you a ton.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2019, 01:14:57 PM »
What were the compression #'s for cyl. 1 and 2?
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2019, 02:18:49 PM »
The answer can be found with a bore scope.
Ring wash will be seen around the edge of the pistons if it's the rings failing.
Large amounts of oil dripping from the valves when open will be your indication of valve seals.
A quality bore scope can tell you a ton.
Thanks, that's good to know. I may look into this.

What were the compression #'s for cyl. 1 and 2?
#1 was around 150 at 5 cranks but seemed to build up more if I kept going. Years ago I blew a head gasket and the #1 cyl took some water and lost a bit of compression after that.  #2 was at about 165 at 5 cranks but went up to around 180 with 7-8 cranks. The test was kind of questionable I usually go through the cylinders twice.

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2019, 02:25:44 PM »
If I have the cylinders scoped and find that the rings are bad. Am I looking at a full rebuild or is it possible to just replace the rings? I've been driving the truck 8 or 9 years and the motor doesn't knock or rattle just the oil consumption. I'm really not excited about dropping a bunch of $$$$ on this truck right now, especially on a 22r.

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:36:28 PM »
U could just keep replacing the plugs and top off oil...

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:49:04 PM »

Pretty much what I have done for years.

I just used a poor mans powers of deduction.  I have new rings if it’s that but I would be incredibly surprised if it were more than the seals
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2019, 09:08:01 PM »
Replace the seals, they are easy enough i think

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2019, 10:21:30 PM »
If I have the cylinders scoped and find that the rings are bad. Am I looking at a full rebuild or is it possible to just replace the rings? I've been driving the truck 8 or 9 years and the motor doesn't knock or rattle just the oil consumption.

By the time you tear it down to the point wear you can get to the rings, you might as well and rebuild it, which at that point, barring a major FUBAR in parts and/or machine work, it should be good for a few 100k.

I would start with the cylinder inspection, or do a compression test and see what the numbers are, if not good, see where the loss is and go from there.  If it is just the valve guides, it shouldn't cost you to more than a couple $100 to pull the head and have it rebuilt, if you pull it yourself.

I'm really not excited about dropping a bunch of $$$$ on this truck right now, especially on a 22r.

Whether or not rebuilding is worth the cost depends on what you can do yourself.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,223
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2019, 02:03:21 AM »
Hi toyodaaddict,

First… I would NEVER let my spark plugs get like that!  Looks like neglect!... shameful.  :thumbdown:

How many miles on that engine?

How many miles on that engine with those spark plugs?

How much oil is it using?

Does it smoke?.. at cold start, warm start, or under load?

Any crankcase blow-by or rocker cover pressure?

If you want to get more information about its condition, do a complete compression test and a leak down test.

The head on these engines is THE most important part and can affect engine life and performance more than any other component!!  :yesnod:

If the head needs rebuilding I doubt you will do it successfully on the cheap… it needs to be inspected, mic’d, and done correctly by a professional or expert head builder.  :thumbs:

Re-ringing a tired engine most likely will not be worth the effort, time, or expense.  :thumbdown:

That’s just my opinion – it may be worthless.  :gap:

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:20:23 AM »

That's the plan. Hopefully I can get another year out of it.  I just wanted to verify that the oil consumption was what did that to my plugs. Also, I've seen more experienced people do things like put new bearings in an engine that starts knocking and have good results. I was just curious if I could correct the problem and prolong the life of the engine.

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:40:53 AM »
By the time you tear it down to the point wear you can get to the rings, you might as well and rebuild it, which at that point, barring a major FUBAR in parts and/or machine work, it should be good for a few 100k.

I would start with the cylinder inspection, or do a compression test and see what the numbers are, if not good, see where the loss is and go from there.  If it is just the valve guides, it shouldn't cost you to more than a couple $100 to pull the head and have it rebuilt, if you pull it yourself.

Whether or not rebuilding is worth the cost depends on what you can do yourself.
After rebuilding the 22RE in my 80, I'm not to excited about rebuilding another 22r/re. Its hard to justify a 22r/re being worth what it cost to do it right.  When this engine is done I may consider an engine swap of just updating to a 3rd gen 4runner.

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:54:31 AM »
Hi toyodaaddict,

First… I would NEVER let my spark plugs get like that!  Looks like neglect!... shameful.  :thumbdown:

How many miles on that engine?

How many miles on that engine with those spark plugs?

How much oil is it using?

Does it smoke?.. at cold start, warm start, or under load?

Any crankcase blow-by or rocker cover pressure?

If you want to get more information about its condition, do a complete compression test and a leak down test.

The head on these engines is THE most important part and can affect engine life and performance more than any other component!!  :yesnod:

If the head needs rebuilding I doubt you will do it successfully on the cheap… it needs to be inspected, mic’d, and done correctly by a professional or expert head builder.  :thumbs:

Re-ringing a tired engine most likely will not be worth the effort, time, or expense.  :thumbdown:

That’s just my opinion – it may be worthless.  :gap:

Gnarls.

I dont think the plugs have been in there more than 10k miles, I could be wrong. It's my only daily driver, I try and change the plugs once a year.

Unknown miles on truck and engine.

I dont keep track of oil. I top it off, roughly half quart or so every 300-400 miles.

Smoke? Yeah, on cold start for sure. Warm start, yeah. I don't notice smoke while driving but i'm not looking for it either.

I think there is some blow by. I get some seepage around the pcv and the vent hose on the valve cover.

At some point I need to get a leak down tester and learn to use it. That's a tool/skill that would have helped me out many times. it's all a learning experience for me.

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2019, 02:42:14 PM »
Leak down testers are hit and miss.  If theres an obvious loss of compression, they are good.  Sticking valves are iffy...  they are about as useful as the compression tester, they only tell half the story

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,223
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:44:53 PM »
So 10K or 1 year on spark plugs is not neglect... glad to read that.  :gap:

Those plugs are really fouled... I've not seen plugs that bad out of a 22.  :yikes:

If you just replace the spark plugs you might consider going up one heat range.

I think a compression test and a leak down test can tell you quite a bit about what's going on in the engine.

Of course with a leak down tester you need an air compressor.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2019, 03:38:20 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein