Author Topic: 1988 4Runner Build  (Read 1602 times)

CableRunner88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 108
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
1988 4Runner Build
« on: Feb 27, 2019, 12:31:52 AM »
Alright after much back and forth and many of you rolling your eyes at my need to want to fix or replace my 3.0. I have found a donor vehicle and will be starting my 3.4 swap. Bare with me as this probably won’t go quickly... I have only done minor automotive work replacing parts here and there on and this is my 1st official build. I have had many a 4x4 in the last 15 years and most have not been anything special beyond a barely functional bolt on lift that the previous owner had done years before I got a hold of it. So here we go...

I have a 1988 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with all the bells and whistles with a spun rod bearing. After tearing down the tie rods and dropping the oil pan and removing the piston rod caps I found the 2nd rod from the front was toast the bearing was mushroomed and the rod had become more oval than circular... I desperately wanted to bandaid the engine and move on with life but after weighing my odds and what looked to be a glitter bomb going off in the oil panI had decided it was beyond a cheap recovery... so I became desperate and took 4 months searching for a 3.0 to replace it... I should have taken the advice that I originally got off here and found a donor with a 3.4 but I didn’t and here I am today licking my wounds and recovering from a bruised ego...

The 1st thing I will be doing is a 3.4 swap then most likely a solid axle swap. So stay tuned and any advice or recommendations along the way would be greatly appreciated.

My 1988 Toyota 4Runner the day I bought it.

All strapped up and on its way to its new home

In its new home

And then the defilement began... I needed new tires for my 2003 GMC Yukon and since the Runner was more of a sitter at the moment the Yukon got some new shoes and the 4Runner went a little ghetto... 22’s that are for sale BTW ($250)

And the 3.4 donor. Last owner put a new engine in it 3 years ago and put 40k and a collision on the engine but I drove her 20 miles home today and the engine ran perfect.

So like I said any help or advice on the swap would be great!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Ford F-250
1988 Toyota 4Runner
1991 Suzuki Samurai

CableRunner88 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 108
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 1988 4Runner Build
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2019, 11:04:19 PM »
Ok got the 3.0 out of the 88... left the power steering pump, a/c compressor. Anything else I need to retain for the 3.4? I’m going to replace the clutch and flywheel while I have thing out and separated.
1990 Ford F-250
1988 Toyota 4Runner
1991 Suzuki Samurai