Author Topic: 84 solid front axle rebuild help needed. Mechanic or fellow member  (Read 3560 times)

Native Warrior

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 121
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Jan '19
  • An Indian Reservation High in the Cascade Range
    • View Profile
Hello everyone I am new to marlin crawler and I have owned 6 toyota’s And I finally got hands on a 84 Toyota 2.4 Liter Diesel. I am needing help rebuilding my front axle, i already ordered the marlin crawler kit today with the 3rd Member eco seal. Is anybody up for an educational rebuild on this project? I don’t have a shop or all the tools for this job. Otherwise I gotta take it to a shop for the rebuild. I would like to learn to rebuild it with more experienced Toyota solid axles guys. Any help is appreciated

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Your location helps..  Im in so ore and will be rebuilding my axle shortly.
hold this. . .

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile

Even though it is on a Landcruiser, it is an 8" front axle same as what you have. This is the most detailed video I've found. This coupled with a copy of the Factory Service Manual (FSM for short) which can be found with some googling. You will be off to the races.

cbeers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4347
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
this is something you can do at home using hand tools. you will need the large socket which is inexpensive.
if I did it anyone can.

youtube low range offroad they have a whole tutorial series. i found another one by jonsey's garage for a LC but also helpful.

take pictures as you go.
get a lot of rags/gloves as it can be messy.

truly a great learning project

hah Andrew beat me!

CB

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
I should add in regards to the tools. The tools necessary to do this job are tools you absolutely should own if you are going to own these trucks. I didn't have them when I bought my 4Runner either or the place to do it. Luckily my girlfriend's dad at the time had a garage I could use and I started building up my tool bag. I know you can rent storage lockers equipped with lifts and tools for the day in most areas if you can't find someone willing to lend you some garage space.

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
https://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AxleRebuild.shtml

This is what I used for instructions when I was first getting into Toyota’s!

Jimkola

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
It is a messy job. I'd have 1-2 rolls of paper towels and a fresh box of latex gloves. I pressure washed the knuckles before I started. I hate working through dirt and grease.

I used a brass drift and hammer to hit the studs and loosen the cone washers to pull the hubs off. It can take a few strong hits to dislodge them.
Besides the large socket for the adjusting nuts you'll need something to measure the preload when tightening the adjusting nuts. I used a small hanging scale.

Here's a link to a decent walk through. Goes well with the video SkaWAdoosh provided:
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/toyota-4x4-front-wheel-bearing-servicingreplacement-18322.html

He mentions tightening the adjusting nut, rotating the hub several times clock-wise/counter clock-wise, backing off and retightening,rotating, etc.
It's a very good point. And especially when seating in new bearings.
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2019, 08:23:26 PM by Jimkola »

Native Warrior [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '19
    • View Profile
I’m located in madras, Redmond area

Native Warrior [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '19
    • View Profile
Shout out to Marlin Crawler parts. Thank you guys for the speedy customer service and great shipping and handling of my solid axle marlin Crawler solid axle rebuild kit and eco seal received it all in undamaged box and in a timely manner. Thanks again.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
You can also look through the step by step walk through I made. Link is in my signature.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Osage1978

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 14
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Jan '18
  • Champagne taste on a beer budget
    • View Profile
Here's what I used having never done it before & no one to help locally. It's a step by step axle rebuild by LowRange. I did use some exploded diagrams from a few other sources but honestly it wasn't that difficult.

Edit: by the way I had no shop & limited tools & did mine in my front yard each evening after work a few hours at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe7MiOkiiAJwzBP7LoQpyrlyqum6rH5Ab
John 5:24

Native Warrior [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '19
    • View Profile
 Thanks everybody for the input also helping me with finding sources for information online with videos to use. I have ordered the total rebuild kit from Marlin Crawler’s.

83_P/U_4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Dreaming of Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
If it’s not too late I’d also add that you should consider the “ backing plate eliminator” from Low Range Off-Road, upgrading your brake lines from Marlin, magnetic drain plug and POR-15 for  protecting the steering knuckles and wheel bearing hubs but DO NOT USE IT ON THE LOCKING HUB BODY!!!! (Found that out the hard way) Also POR-15 adds a few millimeters to the surface so keep it away from any parts that need to be flush with something else

Hope it help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk