Author Topic: Marlin Crawler's New Rock Crawling Long Travel IFS Suspension System (#RCLT)  (Read 112264 times)

Mecey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Member since Oct '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hopefully we will have several on the shelf ready to ship by end of February, beginning of March.  This will not be a built to order item like a Tcase or Transmission which is what has the 8-12 week lead time. 

Who are you leaving messages with? As far as getting one in March, we are trying to get them out by that point, but nothing is guaranteed.  Unfortunately there are things that can delay this production that are out of our control. Manufacturing delays are the nature of the beast when dealing with custom machined parts like these.  We are at the mercy of machinists, software and computers, shop time and scheduling, milling machines and laser cutters, material availability, and on and on.  With so many variables its impossible to give a for sure date, but our rough ETA at this time with no hold-ups would be the end of February beginning of March.

Is it possible to put a deposit to guarantee first run?

SherpaMotorsports

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Excited to hear from you guys! RCLT is one of the last pieces of the puzzle for our 2020 Season. Its looking good on Charles 4runner, see you guys at Hammers.

outworld

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Just wanted to follow up on here..sent a couple emails to Mike and spoken to Kyle and Travis at the shop over the last couple months. Hoping there's a way to get an opportunity for first batch as I am planning programming for the year and trying to stall until I get a better idea of price and availability. Know you guys are working hard over there though!

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
Just wanted to follow up on here..sent a couple emails to Mike and spoken to Kyle and Travis at the shop over the last couple months. Hoping there's a way to get an opportunity for first batch as I am planning programming for the year and trying to stall until I get a better idea of price and availability. Know you guys are working hard over there though!

Its Trevor, but thats ok. :hahaha: We are not taking deposits or gaurunteeing someone a kit off the first run at this time.  That would not be fair to others that have been waiting if we pick and choose certain people.  So once they are live everyone will get the same oppurtunity to buy them, first come first serve, so be ready.
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

outworld

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Its Trevor, but thats ok. :hahaha:

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you get demoted on a wait list  :bowdown:

I'll be on the look out - good luck at KOH!

Mecey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Its Trevor, but thats ok. :hahaha: We are not taking deposits or gaurunteeing someone a kit off the first run at this time.  That would not be fair to others that have been waiting if we pick and choose certain people.  So once they are live everyone will get the same oppurtunity to buy them, first come first serve, so be ready.

And Trevor, that’s the reason you’re going to hear me calling every three days till RCLT is available, only been excited for the drop for a year...

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you get demoted on a wait list  :bowdown:

I'll be on the look out - good luck at KOH!

:haha: not at all.  I am not that prideful and definitely not petty, i know mistakes happen, especially something as easy as a name mix up to someone you have spoken to once (i am terrible at names and happens to me all the time, at least you were close).  :biggthumpup:
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

Mecey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
GREAT NEWS RCLT HOPEFULLS!!!

Just called and now they are hoping for May/June.

Great products, but let’s stop talking and posting about how great it is and get some into production. I for one am going another route at this point.

Mecey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
GREAT NEWS RCLT HOPEFULLS!!!

Just called and now they are hoping for May/June.

Great products, but let’s stop talking and posting about how great it is and get some into production. I for one am going another route at this point.

And I thought about it... I’ll keep waiting.

outworld

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The RCLT-equipped 4th Gen KILLED IT at KOH this week. Looks like a total success for the kit in its current form. Looking forward to release.   :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
The RCLT-equipped 4th Gen KILLED IT at KOH this week. Looks like a total success for the kit in its current form. Looking forward to release.   :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Do you have any links to video footage? Tried watching live, and only saw a glimpse of it once..
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

outworld

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Do you have any links to video footage? Tried watching live, and only saw a glimpse of it once..

I don't, but you can find a recap on Steel City Racing's Facebook page.

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
So... I have a lot to get updated :D

(Sorry for the wind noise. We have a nice mic with sock but I left it at home.)
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Here is what we posted to Facebook on Friday, including pictures and captions:
----------------------------

Congratulations to Steel City Racing and our third and final prototype RCLT HD that made history at this year's King Of the Hammers (KOH) event!

The team's 4.7-liter V8 4Runner became the first modern 4600 Stock Class IFS to complete both desert laps and all but a couple remaining rock crawling trails, placing 10th overall! This is also the highest ranking ever for a 4600 IFS rig!

Like many teams, Steel City Racing's goal was to finish regardless of time, however, when they along with two modified class cars arrived to the next to last trail, Chocolate Thunder, at approximately 5:50pm, event officials decided to close the course requiring cars to reverse back down from obstacles they were already on. Our own BigMike was with Robert of Otwell Fabrication at Chocolate Thunder when this occurred, witnessing remaining teams being sent back to Hammertown via side roads.

It is interesting that they did not allow these rigs to at least continue and finish unofficially on their own, and even more so for Steel City Racing, who's starting position wasn't until 8:30am, which meant their 10-hour limit was not for another 40 minutes. It's questionable if they would have made it to the finish line before their 10 hrs expired at 6:30pm, but they most certainly would have conquered the entire course as the 4Runner ran incredibly well and completed 126 miles of the hardest and most abusive single-day off-road race on the planet, something it may never have done without the incredibly strong Marlin Crawler "RCLT HD" independent front suspension and HD MarRack steering rack integrated system. In fact, RCLT HD was the only IFS system of the entire Wednesday race regardless of class or vehicle type!

We are incredibly proud of driver Charles and co-pilot Matt for completing the day without failure despite never having driven the rig on a single Hammers rock trail prior to this event! Their finish was a true testament to both their driving skill, quick adaptability, pit crew, and vehicle! Here is Charles' official team report:

"The @steelcityracing4x4 4th Gen V8 4Runner made history yesterday being the first modern IFS car to ever reach lap 2 and the first modern IFS car to ever complete multiple named Lap 2 rock trails (guacamole, aftershock, fissure mountain, sledgehammer, jackhammer, not her problem, etc), claiming a Top 10 position in the 4600 Stock Class at the 2020 @ultra4racing King of the Hammers. The 4Runner ran incredibly strong the entire day, completing one massive obstacle after another including conquering unimaginable 4400 lines in the rocks where 4500 and 4800 cars were broken in the alternate lines. Ultra4 Officially finally stopped us just before RM 126 due to darkness and time with only a few named trails to go before we would have hit the finish line after the easy desert and bypass sections. Our pit crew killed it all day! All of our sponsors products worked flawlessly together and never faltered for even one second! We only took one hard drivers side hit the entire day in a bypass section where we accidentally took the hard line after course markers had fallen down, slowing us down a bit during Lap 2. Our @marlincrawler RCLT Front IFS and @rocksolidtoys Rear 4-Link both armed with @ivdsuspension Shocks performed flawlessly. We had zero body damage thanks to our @4x4labs armor package, never had a flat with our @teamcoopertire STT Pros and @kmcwheels, and only used our @warnindustries Winch once. Special thanks to my amazing wife and three kids for enabling me to tackle this adventure, to my co-driver @matthew Tatum, to all of our sponsors, to our chief fabricator @otwellweldingandfabrication, and our entire pit crew."

Here come some misc pics from BigMike and Steel City Racing. We will post more once we go through all our memory cards!

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS again to team Steel City Racing!!

If you'd like to learn more about the first Toyota Long Travel IFS strong enough for Rock Crawling --- and now the only LT kit strong enough for the King Of the Hammers --- then please visit MarlinCrawler.com/RCLTHD. Release date, pricing, and updated info will be posted within weeks. Please click our "Notify" button to receive updates via email. #RCLT

Steel City Racing lined up and primed for Tech Inspection!

Misc pics from Steel City Racing during vehicle testing before the event!

Charles at left, Matt at right

Stopping for fuel. RCLT HD drives just like any other Long Travel kit on both city street and highway roads, perfect solution for the daily driver who also wants a bullet proof IFS that clears 37s without any body mount trimming.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Steel City Racing brought their race rig to our booth on Tuesday! Here it is parked along side BigMike's 2016 Tacoma, both rigs running our third and final "V3 Prototype" RCLT HD setup.

BigMike is running our +2.75" LT kit and the 4Runner is running our +3.50" LT kit, both of which will be available this spring.

In the foreground is another +2.75" V3 RCLT HD prototype being compared to a stock late model Toyota IFS system (2003+ SUV, 2005+ Tacoma)

Here is another +2.75" V3 RCLT HD prototype being compared to a stock late model Toyota IFS system (2003+ SUV, 2005+ Tacoma)

It's all in the details ;) #RCLT #RCLTHD #MarlinCrawler #KOH2020 #EMC

(*shear)

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
This is our +2.75" LT V3 Prototype kit on BigMike's 2016 Tacoma he daily drives and wheels with 40" tires.

The factory body mount with original forward-facing bolt is 100% intact and in the original factory location.

Designed to clear 37" tires without frame or body mount modifications, the only body mount clearancing required to fit 40s is the same amount needed for a typical UCA kit to clear 33s.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Picture from Steel City Racing, all ready for the Every Man Challenge race!!

Here they are back in Hammertown after completing 126 miles of the most difficult off-road race in the world.

Check out the location of all those scratches! Without the extreme high ground clearance of the RCLT HD lower control arms, they would likely have had to backup and find another line...

...and think of all the rocks that cleared the arms that we'll never know about! #RCLT #RCLTHD

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Here are pictures of BigMike's 2016 Tacoma during his travels to and from King Of the Hammers. Overall he averaged just over 20 MPG on 40" tires, cruising at 65 MPH (there) and 70 MPH (back home).

BigMike's Tacoma back at Marlin Crawler Friday morning after completing the 600 mile round trip journey. #RCLT #RCLTHD

Thought we'd toss this pic in of when BigMike arrived to the lake bed mid-day Monday. Quite the difference from a stock 3rd gen Tacoma!

...And that's it from our FB post. We are currently waiting for KOH's official camera crew to forward us high resolution pictures and video of our final prototype RCLT HD in action, and will post more as soon as we receive the files!

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16273
  • Male Posts: 1,013
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
looking good bigmike :thumbs:

RUGER :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Great show for the RCLT and Charles and his team.  Now that he has more experience on the actual trails, next year should be a "jaw-dropper" for the solid axle folks.  Nice re-work of the RCLT, looks quite solid now.   :biggthumpup:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Mecey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

So... I have a lot to get updated :D

(Sorry for the wind noise. We have a nice mic with sock but I left it at home.)

I knew it was going to be burley, but seeing the stock and RCLT side by side is crazy. I’m ready when you are Marlin...

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
I could cry right now!  I don't think I'll ever be able to get this kit.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

Mecey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I could cry right now!  I don't think I'll ever be able to get this kit.

Don’t cry. Anything’s possible. Save save save.

bahador

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Feb '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Quote from: Hilux_Max on Feb 01, 2019, 09:10:43 PM
2.   Will you be pursuing a similar lower control arm design for non wider track applications?
It's a possibility and would be called a "+1 RC +0 LT".

1) Is "+1 RC +0 LT" still a thing? I have heard no mention of this other than in this quote.

2) Will the RCLT Standard Kit (+1 RC +2 LT) be released as the same time as the RCLT Heavy Duty Kit (+2 RC +2.75 LT HD)?

Thanks

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Hello bahador and :welcome: to :turtle: land :wave:

1) Is "+1 RC +0 LT" still a thing? I have heard no mention of this other than in this quote.
Possibly. I still need to take steering measurements to know if it can be done or not.

2) Will the RCLT Standard Kit (+1 RC +2 LT) be released as the same time as the RCLT Heavy Duty Kit (+2 RC +2.75 LT HD)?
No. We are currently pushing very hard for a May release of RCLT HD, and a late 2020 release of RCLT.

Regards,
BigMike

bahador

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Feb '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Possibly. I still need to take steering measurements to know if it can be done or not.
No. We are currently pushing very hard for a May release of RCLT HD, and a late 2020 release of RCLT.

Regards,
BigMike

Thank you.

I've known about Marlin for a long time but have never owned a Toyota. I just sold my YJ and am actively looking for a GX470. I've budgeted for this suspension as well. I'd like to run a front sway bar so I'm leaning towards the non-HD version. But if the "+1 RC +0 LT" ends up becoming a reality, I'd consider that too. There's also a product made by ORI called "Level-It" which could work well with the HD version, but I'm not sure I should even be considering it.

Very good work. Your stuff is rad.

Mecey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Getting excited! Sent in my preproduction application in at 4am on Saturday as soon as the email came through. Not sleeping much due to a level 3 MCL tear in my knee....Ran out of talent skiing. 

canadian bum

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile

Regards,
BigMike

Will either of these be compatible with KDSS?
78 FJ45 Now going to be 1HD-T on 80 series axles / http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/107069-fj-45-build-up-restoration.html
79 BJ40 Going to be a 1HD-T on 80 series axles / http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/266976-bj40-build-up-resto.html#post4143046
06 Taco DC Daily driver, Dana 44 HP front, pro comp rims and 345/75R16 BFG KM2, Rear ARB locker, and All-pro plate bumper. Crashed.... now building an 05 Taco on tons and 4.7 V8 swap.