Author Topic: Marlin Crawler's New Rock Crawling Long Travel IFS Suspension System (#RCLT)  (Read 112246 times)

canadian bum

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
Thank you for all the nice replies everyone. It's been a long summer for me as I broke two ribs early last month which has slowed down my productivity. No major updates as of yet, however I plan to submit all drawings for V3 (hopefully the last) prototype this Friday to begin building it in about 2 to 3 weeks (time it takes to laser cut as well as build V2 jigs). I'll be posting more once that process begins. I am definitely behind with the Standard RCLT kit production unfortunately...
Thanks for the reply. I do prefer the idea of a double sheer setup but am not committed on the TRE of choice yet. What is the source on that tie rod end? I'd like to review it's specs. As for the bend angle, I have designed the steering arm with a 10-degree slant which could be increased more if needed.
Currently and in order, the downtravel limits are:
#1: The inner CV joint. (RCV cannot improve this any further so the only option is a diff drop which defeats a major purpose of RCLT)
#2: The MarRack ITR joint. (Easy to improve this design)
#3: The TRE jam nut interfering with the steering arm. (Easy to improve this by adding more than the 10-degree angle in the steering arm)
#4: Finally, the heim joint max bend angle. (Same as #3: Easy to improve this by adding more than the 10-degree angle in the steering arm)

So downtravel is already limited by the axle shaft long before the heim joint. I've discussed a few different axle designs with RCV including the use of a slip-joint mid-shaft, which they actually designed for UTVs but the added cost for this was very high (on already one of the most expensive parts) and even despite the use of roller bearings still encountered too much friction resulting in other issues. The concept is to ditch the 30-degree max angle inner slip joint and use the fixed (non-slip) 43-degree angle outer CVs at both out-board and in-board locations... The end result would have a quite large diameter meaning the spacing of the RCLT V-Groove would need to be increased which would result in a major loss to ground clearance...

$$$$

Ideally, yes. Same for the axle shaft. But it's not easy fitting 40s haha My ride height is, however, about 0.75" taller than before, which I do not like, so once I get healthy and resume working on the Taco I plan to lower it a bit which will help level those parts out.

Regards,
BigMike

Hey Mike, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Source for the TRE is Evolution Machine and Fabrication, EMF out of Canada. Clayton builds some really high end parts. https://www.emfrodends.com/

I use all his joints in my builds and some custom steering parts as well.
78 FJ45 Now going to be 1HD-T on 80 series axles / http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/107069-fj-45-build-up-restoration.html
79 BJ40 Going to be a 1HD-T on 80 series axles / http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/266976-bj40-build-up-resto.html#post4143046
06 Taco DC Daily driver, Dana 44 HP front, pro comp rims and 345/75R16 BFG KM2, Rear ARB locker, and All-pro plate bumper. Crashed.... now building an 05 Taco on tons and 4.7 V8 swap.

Rockdwg

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 72
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
so just out of curiosity with this RCLT kit what size lift would a guy need for the rear??  my current Tacoma is a 08 DCSB TRD off Road. only thing done to it is a leveling kit and a C4 plate bumper

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
When you finalize the design and put it up for sale will Marlin Crawler be available to do the installation?
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

dankunz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
*poke poke*  I need something to do this winter :)

loveatfirsttaco

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hate to be a pain but it looked like things were so close to production.  Can you give us a new timeline or update on RCLT?  I've been saving my money to buy this over other LT options.

Thanks

Mecey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Member since Oct '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hate to be a pain but it looked like things were so close to production.  Can you give us a new timeline or update on RCLT?  I've been saving my money to buy this over other LT options.

Thanks

Also ready to pull the trigger. Any updates?

dankunz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
It snowed in a lot of the country. Does that mean it's winter?  Winter 2019/2020 production!  woohoo!   :gap:

canadian bum

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
Any release schedule for the standard kit? Testing being done? Pricing? Thinking of something for the 4Runner...
78 FJ45 Now going to be 1HD-T on 80 series axles / http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/107069-fj-45-build-up-restoration.html
79 BJ40 Going to be a 1HD-T on 80 series axles / http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/266976-bj40-build-up-resto.html#post4143046
06 Taco DC Daily driver, Dana 44 HP front, pro comp rims and 345/75R16 BFG KM2, Rear ARB locker, and All-pro plate bumper. Crashed.... now building an 05 Taco on tons and 4.7 V8 swap.

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Really?  I already have one..

:therethere:.....I wish...
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Where did u get your fiberglass fenders?
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

DMG

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Most of the suspension on a Tacoma is really similar to a 1st gen tundra.  Will you make a kit for the tundra?  Or will it be adaptable to a tundra?

dankunz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanksgiving done!  I need a winter shop project!  This seems perfect :)

loveatfirsttaco

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Ok Big Mike.  Give us some good news....   :crossed: :crossed: :crossed: :crossed:

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
What's the estimated price? For the whole setup including cam bolt reinforcement etc.  I need to start saving....Oh shocks too.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

4stair

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
would love to see what one looks like on an fj cruiser, how much tire it will clear, and a ball park price so i know if i am truly interested in it or if i am looking for a full time wheeler instead.

Mecey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
What's the estimated price? For the whole setup including cam bolt reinforcement etc.  I need to start saving....Oh shocks too.

I think we should all start a betting pool on eta and price.

I’m saying 9k and April.

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
See here: https://www.marlincrawler.com/suspension/rclt/rclt-hd

Release group 1:
  2005+ Tacoma
Release group 2:
  2003+ 4Runner
  Lexus GX470
  FJ Cruiser
Release group 3:
  1995-04 Tacoma
  1996-02 4Runner

Release groups 1 and 2 are getting very close, should be releasing this winter, hopefully around February (watch two of the test vehicles running in in KOH).  Group 3 will take a different design that is a ways off.   
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
When you finalize the design and put it up for sale will Marlin Crawler be available to do the installation?

At this time Marlin Crawler will not being doing installations.
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

dankunz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I’ll be installing mine.  Send it!!!

Mecey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Release group 1:
  2005+ Tacoma
Release group 2:
  2003+ 4Runner
  Lexus GX470
  FJ Cruiser
Release group 3:
  1995-04 Tacoma
  1996-02 4Runner

Release groups 1 and 2 are getting very close, should be releasing this winter, hopefully around February (watch two of the test vehicles running in in KOH).  Group 3 will take a different design that is a ways off.

February release as in I could see one in February or as in I could order in February but would have a 8-12 week build time?

dankunz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I left messages etc.  I would like to get mine on in time for an event in March.

Need some response!  Happy New Year!

Release group 1:
  2005+ Tacoma
Release group 2:
  2003+ 4Runner
  Lexus GX470
  FJ Cruiser
Release group 3:
  1995-04 Tacoma
  1996-02 4Runner

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
February release as in I could see one in February or as in I could order in February but would have a 8-12 week build time?

Hopefully we will have several on the shelf ready to ship by end of February, beginning of March.  This will not be a built to order item like a Tcase or Transmission which is what has the 8-12 week lead time. 

I left messages etc.  I would like to get mine on in time for an event in March.

Need some response!  Happy New Year!

Who are you leaving messages with? As far as getting one in March, we are trying to get them out by that point, but nothing is guaranteed.  Unfortunately there are things that can delay this production that are out of our control. Manufacturing delays are the nature of the beast when dealing with custom machined parts like these.  We are at the mercy of machinists, software and computers, shop time and scheduling, milling machines and laser cutters, material availability, and on and on.  With so many variables its impossible to give a for sure date, but our rough ETA at this time with no hold-ups would be the end of February beginning of March.

dankunz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
I would not be ready until I moved to Oregon Could anybody recommend a good shop up there?
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
I would not be ready until I moved to Oregon Could anybody recommend a good shop up there?
What part of Oregon?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
I"m thinking about 1 to 2 acres in the Pacific City area.  And an additional 40 acre parcel in Klamath(It's cheap).
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

TheDragonChk

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hopefully we will have several on the shelf ready to ship by end of February, beginning of March.  This will not be a built to order item like a Tcase or Transmission which is what has the 8-12 week lead time. 

Do you have pricing available yet?

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
Do you have pricing available yet?

Not an exact cost yet, too many variables still not accounted for to know what we have into it in order to make a reasonable price for it.  However at this time, once you include the RCV Axles, the MarRack, and Coilovers, plus the kit you will be somewhere in the 8-10k area.  obviously if you already have your coilovers or RCV axles than you can deduct that, as they will be sold separately. 

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
I"m thinking about 1 to 2 acres in the Pacific City area.  And an additional 40 acre parcel in Klamath(It's cheap).
I don't know of any shops in those areas. If you want to bring it up to the Portland/Vancouver area, there's a few shops I'd highly recommend. Feel free to message me

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda

Not an exact cost yet, too many variables still not accounted for to know what we have into it in order to make a reasonable price for it.  However at this time, once you include the RCV Axles, the MarRack, and Coilovers, plus the kit you will be somewhere in the 8-10k area.  obviously if you already have your coilovers or RCV axles than you can deduct that, as they will be sold separately.

Are you planning on selling the MarRack separately?