Author Topic: Headlight upgrade  (Read 7422 times)

mountain,man1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 78
  • Member since Jan '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Headlight upgrade
« on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:15:26 AM »
I'm shopping around for a good headlight upgrade I'm thinking about using these because everyone else on the road has fu lights. Has anybody used these and what is everyone's thoughts on projection headlight upgrades?
88 TurdRunner 22RE W56B 31x10.5R15 no lift rust assisted weight reduction 100% trail damage

mountain,man1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight upgrade
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:16:02 AM »
I don't know why my phone posted 3 of the same picture
88 TurdRunner 22RE W56B 31x10.5R15 no lift rust assisted weight reduction 100% trail damage

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:16:53 PM »
Hellas are good but many people, myself included, prefer the beam pattern of Cibies. More light on the road and less light in the trees. I don't know about the others.
Cibies are harder to find and probably cost more (I haven't priced anything lately). I don't think you can find a better product and I like to stick with something that I know is top notch.
There may be some really good projectors but there are definitely some bad ones too.

Here's one source: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html
Just found another source, cheaper too: http://www.clearcorners.com/products/cibie/
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:41:42 PM »
Are you looking for useable light or looking to blind oncoming drivers?  I would also be very skeptical of projector lights unless you can absolutely verify they’re well built.

The link provided by stocker is a good one to check out and has very good info, too.  I ended up getting my cibies for about 1/2 price on amazon.  Do you still have the link, stocker?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

mountain,man1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:48:26 PM »
I've seen a few Jeeps running these I asked one guy about them in Blackhawk he said they're pretty well built with the LED bulbs it should be a plug and play I shouldn't need any ballast or extra relays

http://www.topgearautosport.com/part/A1286ZER261/Toyota_4Runner_1988-1991_LED_Black_Chrome_LED_Projector_Headlights_Kit.html

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09:34:55 PM »
Well built is one thing -- properly designed & engineered may be a different story.

Forgot about Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/Hella-Rectangular-Halogen-Replacement-Headlight/dp/B000FLTAE6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=cibie+rectangular&qid=1548047932&sr=8-1-spell
Price is about the same as my second link above. Not sure what their shipping amounts to though.
If you want an honest opinion on those LED projectors from an expert in automotive lighting, contact Daniel Stern. You just might save yourself a bunch of money, frustration, and hassle.
He might say they're great, he might say they're crap, or he might not be familiar with them. But he knows his stuff when it comes to lighting.

EDIT: Oh crap, I searched Amazon for Cibies and just realized the link that popped up is for Hellas. Nevermind. Chances are Amazon doesn't have rectangular Cibies in that size.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2019, 09:52:08 PM by Stocker »

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2019, 10:04:20 PM »
Are you looking for useable light or looking to blind oncoming drivers?

Given the amount of a$$holes on the road lately, I think most buy after market headlights to just blind other drivers, especially those twits that buy LED's.

I'm shopping around for a good headlight upgrade I'm thinking about using these because everyone else on the road has fu lights. Has anybody used these and what is everyone's thoughts on projection headlight upgrades?

If you want to see the road better, just buy some driving lights, that way you can point them directly where you need more light, and pick up a set of  night time driving glasses for all those running FU lights.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:17:56 AM »
Given the amount of a$$holes on the road lately, I think most buy after market headlights to just blind other drivers, especially those twits that buy LED's.
I think a lot of has to do with style. People often buy lamps because they think they look cool, not for actual improvement in lighting.

If you want to see the road better, just buy some driving lights, that way you can point them directly where you need more light, and pick up a set of  night time driving glasses for all those running FU lights.
Driving lamps will help, but upgrading to E-code headlamps is always a good thing. Huge improvement over stock lighting. Maybe do both, and don't forget relays if they're not already there.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:38:02 AM »
if it has a projector lens supported by a bracket, and uses regular bulbs, it is Chinese junk......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:35:21 PM »
I dont want to piss on the parade... but I had those in my s10 and they are complete garbage. Blind oncoming traffic and you cant see a darn thing from inside your own vehicle with them. I have reverted back to 55 watt sylvania from the parts house. They are great.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:44:58 PM »
A good example; I was in the turn lane the other day to pull into the grocery store and an oncoming car had super bright lights.  I pulled in right behind them and you could barely see anything in front of their car.  It was comical and sad, especially since you know they paid way too much
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

mountain,man1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:38:02 AM »
Maybe I'll just stop in the 4-wheel parts store and see what they have that will fit or maybe just add a LED light bar Amazon has some pretty good prices on those I think but I don't know I've never bought one before

mountain,man1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Time to go wheelin!

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:30:59 PM »
Glad to see real-world experience from redneckcustoms regarding those headlamps. That says more than our opinions are able to.  :thumbs:

As to the light bars: They are not substitutes for headlamps, and are therefore restricted to off-road use only. If that's what you're after, give 'em a try.
But if you want improved performance from headlamps, on or off road..... see posts above.   :twocents:

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2019, 02:17:49 PM »
OK I'll bite. My truck had those sylvania sealed headlights. They were worthless as it was, but one had the low beam burned out. We ran it around on high beam all the time and didn't get flashed too much lol. I upgraded to the H4 Vision X setup that Marlin sells and I really enjoyed them. Color was a bit more yellow than I had hoped for but whatever. That truck doesn't run anymore so that's neither here nor there :)

The 4Runner has the same housings, but with LED bulbs (from superbrightled). The bulbs totally suck cause they're in the wrong housing. Always getting flashed and I can't see crap. Luckily it's kind of rural around here so I can flick on the light bar and not be worried about oncoming traffic. That reminds me I wanted to take my H4 bulbs out of my truck and put them in the 4runner lol
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2019, 02:43:59 PM »
OK I'll bite. My truck had those sylvania sealed headlights. They were worthless as it was, but one had the low beam burned out. We ran it around on high beam all the time and didn't get flashed too much lol. I upgraded to the H4 Vision X setup that Marlin sells and I really enjoyed them. Color was a bit more yellow than I had hoped for but whatever. That truck doesn't run anymore so that's neither here nor there :)

The 4Runner has the same housings, but with LED bulbs (from superbrightled). The bulbs totally suck cause they're in the wrong housing. Always getting flashed and I can't see crap. Luckily it's kind of rural around here so I can flick on the light bar and not be worried about oncoming traffic. That reminds me I wanted to take my H4 bulbs out of my truck and put them in the 4runner lol
LOL, Your so funny 300k.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

AZ Rockit

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2955
  • Male Posts: 95
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with 300K
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2019, 03:31:47 PM »
What 300k didn't mention is the stock bulbs were about useless in red when we bought her. We drove 1000 miles at night with minimal visibility, partially because the bumper blocks upward light dispersion. We drove a mountainous road from Lolo to Highwood MT at night...light bar on about the entire way to avoid wildlife collisions. Could not see.
82 Long bed, 22r with 83 celica EFI, 31s
84 Xtra cab, 22r, Chevy springs, 31s
85 4Runner, 3rz, R151F, 244:1, 37s
85 Long bed, 22re Performance Stage 2 engine, 32s
85 Short bed, 22r
89 4Runner on a 94 truck chassis, just a roller (Montana Runner)

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2019, 03:36:52 PM »
Point being, instead of wasting time and money on bulbs that are nearly as bad as before, I would have bought the proper bulbs for the housing, which would have been brighter.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

mountain,man1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:13:43 PM »
The headlights I posted pictures of I could also get those with H4 halogen bulbs but I was told I needed to install ballasts to run the H4 bulbs. was I told wrong? If I get the set with H4 halogen bulbs it's also about $50 cheaper

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:11:45 PM »
You were told wrong. H4 halogen bulbs do not use a ballast, just a relay to supply maximum voltage for optimal light output.

However, there's a strong possibility of a problem with those headlamps. If they are designed for LED bulbs, they will not work well with H4s. If they are designed for H4s, they will not work well with LEDs. Yes, you can get light out of them, but the beam pattern will most likely be anything but ideal. In other words, light will go places it shouldn't go, and as a result, some of the light will not go where it should.

My gut tells me those are artsy-fartsy fashion statements, definitely not top-tier lighting.

It's your money but I bet you end up with something less than satisfactory. And a good chance you'll piss off every driver coming from the other direction at night. 

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:17:42 PM »
You seem pretty set on buying those lights even though people are cautioning you that they’re poorly designed and won’t work well no matter the bulbs installed.  People are trying to help keep you from wasting your money by sharing their experience.  Might not be a bad idea to drop the idea of buying those and consider quality units which are proven to work well

On a similar note, the lights in my tacoma were fairly dim when I bought it.  I asked someone smarter than myself their recommendation and he suggested it was worthless to do anything other than standard replacement bulbs, noting the “super bright” bulbs actually put out less useable light and were a waste.  About a year later a bulb burned out so I replaced it with a standard bulb and whatya know, it put out noticeably more light than the old bulbs, which turned out to be the supposed best from sylvania.  I waited till the other bulb burned out to replace it but don’t know why
RIP KYOTA

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:40:54 PM »
I think this light bar would be sufficient. what do you guys think?

https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Driving-Harness-Wrangler-Polaris/dp/B07F5RKJGQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1548171707&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=led+light+bar+kit&psc=1

Would be a waste of money due to being Chinese made crap by Chinese owned companies, would be better off with a $20-30 pair of halogen driving lights.

Are you sure you need brighter lights, or just new lights?  Lights dim with age before going out, corrosion at the connector can effect brightness and suspension sag can effect alignment. 

Before dropping a few hundred per light on upgrades, why not check the connections, voltage level to the lights, alignment, and take a look at the light to see what kind of condition it is in.

These are SylvainiaXtravision replacements in my '90 on low beam on a rural road.

A little better pick of distance.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

mountain,man1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2019, 05:56:45 AM »
Ill keep looking for a different option I was pretty skeptic of those lights that's why I posted

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:18:10 PM »
I don't know how much you plan on spending but if you are willing to spend a couple hundred I can highly recommend the Trucklites which has been bought by Rigid. they are awesome. they put out an incredible amount of light, will never burn out and are a straightforward bolt in replacement LED. They are one of the very few LED's that are actually DOT approved and have a crisp cut-off that wont blind oncoming drivers.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2019, 07:24:04 PM »
Want brighter lights...…..

Use relays and get full voltage to the existing lights first.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:02:55 PM »
And for what it's worth, I did a little search and danielstearns has the cibie listed cheaper than I could find anywhere else.  You'd want the 200mm × 142mm version, and don't worry about going too fancy on the bulbs, either.
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2019, 06:12:35 AM »
And for what it's worth, I did a little search and danielstearns has the cibie listed cheaper than I could find anywhere else.  You'd want the 200mm × 142mm version, and don't worry about going too fancy on the bulbs, either.
Exactly! I mistakenly posted what I thought was a cheaper source but didn't notice that price is for just one lamp -- Sterns price is for a pair. Good point on the bulbs too, standard 55/60W is ideal and puts out an amazing amount of light. Also, when you buy from Sterns you will get top-quality bulbs, not some cheap crap. The advice for relays and clean connectors is worth repeating. I am not familiar with the Trucklites posted by helipilot77 but if you're wanting something with a different appearance, those might be worth looking into. Pretty expensive though.