Author Topic: Not your average Toyota  (Read 9480 times)

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 646
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Re: Not your average Toyota
« Reply #60 on: Dec 23, 2018, 01:45:59 PM »
he lives in Britain

Oh, sorry to hear, Steve.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Gnarly4X

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 3814
  • Male Posts: 3,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Marlin and I slid "The Sluice" Martinez Canyon
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #61 on: Dec 23, 2018, 03:57:44 PM »
Yes, I know his profile says “Wales”.

My comment was from “outside” Wales, his realm.

My comparison was just looking at his criteria from my realm.

First, LittleSteve appears to be a fartsmucker, so I figured he did some homework before making his choice for his wants & needs.

Since I have very little knowledge about life, auto industry, economy, or life-styles, I only used what information I got from my brief “in the USA” research.

Car & Driver did an interesting article on the vehicles:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/we-drive-every-generation-of-the-land-rover-defender-news

I have, since a very young boy, always been very curious about any automotive related topics and discoveries.  So, I was actually hoping that LittleSteve would come back with more details of his Defender vehicle, experience, and what an early 4-wheed drive vehicle restoration would be like in another part of the world.

Like I said, anyone who likes old automotive vehicles and can restore them is a “preservationist”.  Obviously there are a good number of eccentric “preservationists” out there, including LittleSteve.

With the price of diesel fuel in Wales, you definitely need 30 MPG!

Great discussion!!

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #62 on: Dec 23, 2018, 04:06:30 PM »
So your argument is that Britain sucks, and that he should move to the US rather than worry about Toyota vs Slow British piece of....

NO... I was not arguing his choice for a Defender, just thinking how I would look at the same list of his requirements.

The Land Rovers and Defenders have a considerable following and popular with a niche market.

Wales, from what I've read is a beautiful country, and has a warm and inviting culture and people ... most likely very unique in that part of the world with its list of islands.

The weather for me would be an issue.  And, no I don't believe Great Britain "sucks"... but they do have their share of social-economic issues... but what country in the world does not?

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2018, 04:19:39 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #63 on: Dec 23, 2018, 04:19:38 PM »
NO... I was not arguing his choice for a Defender, just thinking how I would look at the same list of his requirements.

The Land Rovers and Defenders have a considerable following and popular with a niche market.

Wales, from what I've read is a beautiful country, and have a warm and inviting culture and people ... most likely very unique in that part of the world. 

The weather for me would be an issue.  And, no I don't believe Great Britain "sucks"... but they do have their share of social-economic issues... but what country in the world does not?

Gnarls.

no I wrote that to drew, who responded to your post.

"good luck finding an 1985 toyota in England that isnt rotted"
"Shipping parts is expensive from the US."

Which could only mean Drew is saying that Britain sucks. and Drew is seldom wrong :)

how do you go from controlling an extreme portion of the world (like 24%) to living on an island a little bigger than half of the United States national parks.

LittleSteve [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 917
  • Member since Jan '14
  • I dont even have a Toyota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #64 on: Dec 24, 2018, 01:38:30 AM »
The Defender is a '99 so its one of the last..
I find that it is in good condition and just requires a little TLC  after the three (yes only three) previous owners have neglected it slightly.
It was once a utilities truck that had a PTO hydraulic pump setup, which whilst being cool is useless. It did have a a roller shutter in the side of it which im in the process of buying, not to refit but to use elsewhere.

As you can see its not armour its a mug mat.
I will do more photos when it stops raining and or the sun shines.

Which could only mean Drew is saying that Britain sucks. and Drew is seldom wrong :)

how do you go from controlling an extreme portion of the world (like 24%) to living on an island a little bigger than half of the United States national parks.

Drew has never been here so with the greatest respect to him he doesnt know.
Helipilot has, so ask him.

24% is not an extreme portion its under a quarter. i think you will find that we are now in 2018 and cutlass and cannonade are now not a currency in who controls what, also it is now safe to say that the savages we took by rape, pillage and plunder have advanced enough to allow them to look after themselves, they have cars and mobile phones and everything now! 
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Bydd eich meddylfryd cul yn eich cicio i fyny'r asyn

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #65 on: Dec 24, 2018, 04:12:51 AM »
The Defender is a '99 so its one of the last..

Which engine is in this Defender?  The available engine options for USA imported Land Rovers may be different than what is available in Wales?

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2018, 04:39:07 AM by Gnarly4X »

LittleSteve [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #66 on: Dec 24, 2018, 05:01:04 AM »
Which engine is in this Defender?  The available engine options for USA imported Land Rovers may be different than what is available in Wales?

Gnarls.

2.5 5cyl turbo diesel. One of the best ever fitted to a land rover. 130hp
Bosch unit injection, common to BMW and VAG also.
Think common rail but with out the HP pump just a high volume low pressure feed to a supply gallery cast into the head.
Features anti stall tech and other stuff that was unheard of in a 4wd at the time of its release left the 2lt and the 2l of the Toyotas in the dust.
Backed by an R380 5 spd manual then a LT230 all gear driven trans case.

Trans case is full time 4x4 with locking centre differential, a low range of 3.32:1 and hi range of 1.67:1 there is options for bolt in overdrive/underdrive and bolt on pto. Also options for heatsink oil pans which attach to where the pto would go.
Park brake actuates on the rear output

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 6796
  • Male Posts: 2,430
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #67 on: Dec 24, 2018, 05:25:49 AM »
Ok I need pictures of this low pressure common common rail system. I'm interested.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #68 on: Dec 24, 2018, 05:55:15 AM »
Just to add a little more pomp ‘n stink…

If what I read on this is correct…. The 1999 Defender with a 110” wheel base, 4K+ lbs, 122 HP (Steve says 130 HP)  2.5L turbo-diesel – gobs of torque – would be a nice tow vehicle, just a little short on HP, high RPMs to get that HP!  I would have to see the actual MPG numbers to believe it will get 30 MPG… more like 30 MPL (miles per litre) LOL…. and at about $7.00 US per gallon for diesel.. ouch.

My SnugTop  http://www.snugtop.com/make/toyota    purchased in 1986 for my Toyota long bed was about $200.  In 1995, I sold it back to a retail top shop for $200.  It remained in excellent condition for 9 years.

Based upon Steve’s comments, it appears his options for 4x4s (with his feature list) in his world is more limited than we have here in the good ol’ US of A.

That old jewel will be a fun vehicle to restore and drive!!

Gnarls.

LittleSteve [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #69 on: Dec 24, 2018, 06:18:57 AM »
Td5 varied from 120 to 136hp.
They can be modified to 250hp with the right mods and be reliable.
Rev to 4850. What more do you want? Its not a cummins. Its more free revving than a kzte.
It doesnt need restoring how many more times?!

Still wouldnt run a glass canopy. Wouldnt last five mins.
And stop talking about me in third person its irritating.

The economy is correct. Ask an an owner, oh wait i forgot to convert to US gallons so its 25 miles per US Gallon.

There are only new Japanese trucks and Landrovers nothing else. I wouldn't have a new Jap truck because they are garbage
Diesel is $4.80 a US Gal.  Not 7.

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan

LittleSteve [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #70 on: Dec 24, 2018, 06:19:23 AM »
Ok I need pictures of this low pressure common common rail system. I'm interested.

Verking on it

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #71 on: Dec 24, 2018, 07:21:30 AM »
Helipilot has, so ask him.

24% is not an extreme portion its under a quarter. i think you will find that we are now in 2018 and cutlass and cannonade are now not a currency in who controls what, also it is now safe to say that the savages we took by rape, pillage and plunder have advanced enough to allow them to look after themselves, they have cars and mobile phones and everything now! 

HELIPILOT! Britain or Montana, since you were just there? Not pertaining to which forum member, just where you'd rather be (You wouldn't want to be driving on the wrong side of the road, now would you?) :)

also 24% of the Earths total land mass is a LOT. considering it was the early 1900s and the fastest one could reasonably travel was under 45 mph.

cmon let's get this land rover thing going. chop chop. Let's see if we can get a third picture of this thing maybe. You're 3 pages in.

Ever since Steve left, this land rover hating business has fallen on hard times. I need to recruit someone else.

LittleSteve [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #72 on: Dec 24, 2018, 08:01:42 AM »
 :yawn:

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #73 on: Dec 24, 2018, 08:17:51 AM »
OK LittleSteve.... now we're getting down to brass tacks!  :gap:

Steve, I swear down I was not purposely trying to irritate you or throw a spanner in the thread.  It's just my pomp 'n stink style. :disturbed:

I use the verb "restore" as in taking an old vehicle and fixing it, keeping it running, as well as adding enhancements.   :idea:

"repair or renovate (a building, work of art, vehicle, etc.) so as to return it to its original condition.
"the building has been lovingly restored"
synonyms:   repair, fix, mend, refurbish, recondition, rehabilitate, rebuild, reconstruct, remodel, overhaul, redevelop, renovate; informaldo up, rehab
"the building has been restored"

I think I've learned enough about the Defender for now.  :D

I don't like the smell of diesel fuel - burned or unburned-  so I'll stick to gasoline power.  :thumbdown:

I'm not a big fan of British made vehicles - too much history of poor quality - not to say the Defender is of poor quality - I don't want to pants the Defender.  :gap:

I don't think it would do very well for the 4-wheeling I've done.  I've never seen one on a trail so I don't really know.  :dunno:

I think my 1986 Toyota truck has way more comfort features and although not worth nearly as much as a clean used Land Rover, it is prized by some and enjoyed by small niche in the 4x4 off-road, rock crawling hobbyists.  :driving:

Even if I were suddenly quids in, I'd still buy a Toyota.   :smokin:

With that said, if I lived in Wales, I suppose you and I would be discussing how to find the best source for parts for our Defenders, while we talk about getting our Defender ready for action.  Then we could be out in the pull.  Although at my age up late at night and out in the pull I would be knackered way too soon.  :beerchug:

I'm too skint to be considering a luxuary icon like a Land Rover or Defender.  :spin:

Merry Christmas!!  :gap:

Gnarls. :blah:
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2018, 09:12:15 AM by Gnarly4X »

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 957
  • Male Posts: 1,605
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #74 on: Dec 24, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »
HELIPILOT! Britain or Montana, since you were just there? Not pertaining to which forum member, just where you'd rather be (You wouldn't want to be driving on the wrong side of the road, now would you?) :)

Seattle!!  :screwy:
I didn't grow up here I moved here intentionally. I like to visit other places, I've traveled all over the world and there is more stunning natural beauty here in Seattle than anywhere I've been. Not that other places don't have beauty to offer, but for me Seattle is THE PLACE. Montana and Britian were both too flat for my taste. I look out my window at a 14,411 ft. tall mountain on one side and the Puget sound on the other.
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2018, 09:39:17 AM by helipilot77 »
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-te turbo diesel with custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2121
  • Male Posts: 1,777
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Dec 24, 2018, 09:49:14 AM »
Seattle!!  :screwy:
I didn't grow up here I moved here intentionally. I like to visit other places, I've traveled all over the world and there is more stunning natural beauty here in Seattle than anywhere I've been. Not that other places don't have beauty to offer, but for me Seattle is THE PLACE. Montana and Britian were both too flat for my taste. I look out my window at a 14,411 ft. tall mountain on one side and the Puget sound on the other.
I have a couple other friends that have lived all over the world and picked Washington as the best place to stay.
It's hard to find a better place to live and unfortunately people are figuring that out. I grew up here and feel  blessed every day. Washington State for the WIN!
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #76 on: Dec 25, 2018, 04:08:54 AM »
... Washington State for the WIN!

Well.... have another perspective on the State of Washington..... I can think of lots of reasons why it would be WAY down on my list of places to live.  Four disadvantages pop out of my head right away... 1 - too damn cold and wet!  ... 2 - too damned expensive... 3 - too damn much traffic.  And... 4 - WAY too liberal, left wing radical for me.

Just my worthless opinion. :gap:

Gnarls.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1998
  • Male Posts: 2,254
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #77 on: Dec 25, 2018, 05:43:52 AM »
Well.... have another perspective on the State of Washington..... I can think of lots of reasons why it would be WAY down on my list of places to live.  Four disadvantages pop out of my head right away... 1 - too damn cold and wet!  ... 2 - too damned expensive... 3 - too damn much traffic.  And... 4 - WAY too liberal, left wing radical for me.

Just my worthless opinion. :gap:

Gnarls.

Cold and wet yes. Traffic and expensive only around Seattle. Most of the state isn’t too liberal just Seattle area
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #78 on: Dec 25, 2018, 06:14:48 AM »
Cold and wet yes. Traffic and expensive only around Seattle. Most of the state isn’t too liberal just Seattle area

I guess a 33% no-go factor is better than a 100% no-go factor.  And, Washington is still WAY better than Venezuela :gap:

Gnarls.  :usa:

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 245
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Dec 25, 2018, 10:10:15 AM »
...I look out my window at a 14,411 ft. tall mountain on one side and the Puget sound on the other.

Lima for the win :gap: Ocean on one side, as many 14,411 foot tall mountains as ya want on the other. Neither cold, wet, nor expensive. None of your nasty emissions laws neither. Traffic... uh let's not even go there. It's "fine".

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #80 on: Dec 25, 2018, 10:29:18 AM »
Lima for the win :gap: Ocean on one side, as many 14,411 foot tall mountains as ya want on the other. Neither cold, wet, nor expensive. None of your nasty emissions laws neither. Traffic... uh let's not even go there. It's "fine".

Lima Peru?.... Yeah... I'd love Lima.... they got one of my all time favorite veggie.... Potatoes!!

And who would NOT want to see Rainbow Mountain!!

But.... I hate mosquitos!!  Marlaria, Yellow Fever, Dengue Fever, and the dreaded Zika virus are potential risks!!

Nahh... on 2nd thought, I'll stay here in sunny AZ and buy Costco's Idaho Spuds Hashbrown Potatoes!!

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2018, 10:40:29 AM by Gnarly4X »

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1998
  • Male Posts: 2,254
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #81 on: Dec 25, 2018, 10:37:09 AM »

Emissions?
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #82 on: Dec 25, 2018, 10:42:48 AM »
Emissions?

Yeah... the air quality could be a breathing issue?  :yikes:

Gnarls.

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 245
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Dec 25, 2018, 11:30:16 AM »
Lima Peru?.... Yeah... I'd love Lima.... they got one of my all time favorite veggie.... Potatoes!!

And who would NOT want to see Rainbow Mountain!!

But.... I hate mosquitos!!  Marlaria, Yellow Fever, Dengue Fever, and the dreaded Zika virus are potential risks!!

Peruvian potatoes are better. Just simply better. Lima is probably a day and a half away from Rainbow Mountain. Close enough to be cool, but you're not gonna look out your front door and see it either.

And, by the way, the risks of all the above-mentioned diseases are pretty low in many parts of Lima because it's in the middle of a hot dry desert where mosquitos are not common.

Yeah... the air quality could be a breathing issue?  :yikes:

Lima air is 50% nasty smelly smog. On a good day. :crazy: But they have amazing trails there... they call 'em "roads" and by some kind of magic get 2wd vehicles over them on a regular basis :gap:

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 957
  • Male Posts: 1,605
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #84 on: Dec 25, 2018, 08:27:25 PM »
Sooooooo, I heard you took this new vehicle on a minor expedition Steve?
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-te turbo diesel with custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 519
  • Male Posts: 1,548
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #85 on: Dec 25, 2018, 11:01:08 PM »
Hang on. This thing isn't a toyota at all!
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2018, 09:25:12 AM by zippo »
If you see it, its for sale.

LittleSteve [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #86 on: Dec 26, 2018, 02:21:59 AM »
Hnag on. This thing isn't a toyota at all!

You can talk!

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #87 on: Dec 26, 2018, 03:59:13 AM »
You can talk!

For sure zippo can read and type.   :yesnod:

.... Probably can talk and walk... don't know for sure.

Gnarls.  :disturbed:

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 451
  • Male Posts: 3,501
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Dec 26, 2018, 04:13:41 AM »
OK let's see some photos of it doing something or going someplace :).
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

LittleSteve [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #89 on: Dec 26, 2018, 08:21:29 AM »
For sure zippo can read and type.   :yesnod:

.... Probably can talk and walk... don't know for sure.

Gnarls.  :disturbed:

Urgh,

I was referencing the fact the guy that has no wheeler at all was giving me :pokinit: for not having a Toyota.

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan