Author Topic: Broken(?) Steering Hub Bolt (OEM steering)  (Read 1925 times)

83_P/U_4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Dreaming of Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Broken(?) Steering Hub Bolt (OEM steering)
« on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:50:14 PM »
Hellooooo Everyone! I was recently working on removing my steering knuckles and one of the studs on the lower side just spins when I use an impact wrench driver to remove it with the nut attached.

I assume it is broken but when I've tried to pull it out with pliers it won't budge. And it doesn't seem very loose so I'm very confused as to why it won't come off

So I'm looking for theories of what happened to it? How to fix it and if it's broke am I screwed?

Thank in advanced!!

83_P/U_4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Dreaming of Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Broken(?) Steering Hub Bolt (OEM steering)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:27:37 PM »
In an attempt to salt my own pot, I did some research and it looks like I need to drill it out close to the body of the hub and the pick out the rest. I am not enthusiastic about this but I haven't seen much else out there.

At this point I am assuming that it broke around the body and the dirt or cone or lock washers are somehow keeping it in without stopping it from spinning.

I'm gonna try to use a brass punch to knock it loose but it looks like I'll be drilling  :rivers:

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2018, 04:50:28 PM »
If you try to spin it with a wrench, can you see the stud moving, or is it just the nut spinning? If the nut is just spinning, that means the threads under the nut are stripped. In this case, your best bet would be to use an extractor (easy out) after drilling directly in the center of the end of the stud.

If the whole stud is spinning, its threads or the threads of the knuckle are stripped. You should be able to get the knuckle off to make it easier to reach the backside of the stud. Then, you can try tapping the stud with a hammer and punch while spinning it.

83_P/U_4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Dreaming of Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2018, 11:27:14 AM »
@Toyotadon :beerchug:
This is why I post here, for different points of view and why it's important to not assume if possible. The bolt spins but the stud doesn't :clap:. So you're right, that would mean the bolt is stripped. So I am going to hopefully use a double nut extraction to remove it and hopefully I can get the knuckle off then.

Any thoughts on replacing the studs with newer ones from Trail Gear vs OEM? ARP seems a bit expensive for me just trying to get the truck back to basics and light off-road adventuring.

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile

83_P/U_4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Dreaming of Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2018, 10:15:16 PM »
Yeah Mother F^ck#rs!!! :ladys-man:

Got the Steering Knuckle studs out and with not all that much effort (after getting the right tools). I am not sure what happened to the nut as it is still stuck on the stud but I used a Milwaukee Torque Lock Vise Grip to remove the stud with the nut still on. The stud is damaged but Ill be ordering some replacements so it is of no consequence.

The lesson I learned from this is that brass hammers are better than brass punches/dowels when you wanna hit steel hard and often but would rather not damage it and though some methods may leave more damage than others, i would say using the vise grips did get the job done.