Author Topic: What would marlin do  (Read 1636 times)

dubs chops

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Nov '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
What would marlin do
« on: Nov 29, 2018, 06:17:35 AM »
OK guys and gals, After taking my 83 LB on its first serious journey I have decided it needs a few upgrades.

First is the manual steering sucks! I know I will need to do a crossover kit on this in the near future. Question is, Can I run a IFS power steering box and just fill and cap it until I am ready to add a pump? or are all the IFS box's already power steering?

second is lift. there are so many options out there. I know I can go to allpro or here  and spend a butt ton of money but I know there may be better or equal options for less money. One thing I want is smooth. The truck almost beat me to death on rough dirt roads with the suspension that is on it. it literally would bounce me out of the seat sometimes no mild washboards at 10mph.

SO if you guys speak, i'll listen. i'll build what MarlinCrawler deems is the best options for my rig.

my rigs use will be mostly overland type stuff and driving around fire roads in forests. id like good highway manners also. I plan on running 33" tires for now but may step up to 35" in the future if I do an engine swap down the road.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,896
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Re: What would marlin do
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2018, 08:51:16 PM »
Throw out the 22r in favor of a 3rz get duals a 3 to 4inch lift 35s 529s dual detroits a roll cage a winch rcv shafts for the front axle and a warn winch and go have some serious fun
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2018, 05:32:58 AM »
Some ifs boxes are manual. But dont waste your time. Go get yourself some rear springs from a 85-88 4runner. Install them backwards in the front. It will ride like a dream, flex like crazy, and move the axle forward about 2.5-3" it also lifts the front a few inches. When doing that swap it is necessary to put in the crossover steering. Just get a ps pump and do it all in a day.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

dubs chops [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Nov '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2018, 03:48:24 PM »
If I get a power steering box now can run it without a pump? Just fill with fluid and cap? If I do the toyota 4runner springs and it moves the axle forward will I have tire clearance? I don't want to cut any metal since the truck is pretty mint. Also would I need to lengthen the front driveshaft?

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:44:22 PM »
If I get a power steering box now can run it without a pump? Just fill with fluid and cap?
As I recall, all IFS boxes are set set-up for power steering from the factory, a buddy had manual on his '86, all we did to convert back in '95 was add a pump/lines and pulley.

If I do the toyota 4runner springs and it moves the axle forward will I have tire clearance? I don't want to cut any metal since the truck is pretty mint. Also would I need to lengthen the front driveshaft?

For your planned uses, I would just run 33's with a regular set of lift springs, maybe 35's if there is enough room, regear it to 4.88's(5.29's if you go with 35's) with a rear ARB, front if budget allows, add a 2nd transfer case, and a winch.  This will give you all the gearing and traction you need to go anywhere you want and leave you with open diffs for the road.

The only way to smooth out the fire/logging roads is to run about 10-15psi in the tires depending on if they are MT's or AT's, at that psi, the tires will absorb the washboards and most of the small bumps.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Flood

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:45:51 PM »
Old Man Emu makes great springs for first gens too and don't require much modification. And like snowtoy said, lower psi helps. Most of the reason why washboards occur is due to people blasting through dirt roads with full tire pressure. Also, determining the correct speed to cross them at will help. Some washboards you can haul over while others require a slower pace. Finding the right balance helps. Good luck with your build!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:26:04 PM »
I have power steering on my 86.

I seem to recall that there was a version that didn't have power steering in 86.     

The non-power steering version had a different gear ratio (a lot more turns lock to lock).

This would mean a different gear box for manual steering.     I doubt you can just add the power steering, as what's the point ?   You'd still have all those turns lock to lock.

Currently out of town, so can't check FSM at the moment.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2018, 03:34:49 PM »
I have power steering on my 86.

I seem to recall that there was a version that didn't have power steering in 86.     

The non-power steering version had a different gear ratio (a lot more turns lock to lock).

This would mean a different gear box for manual steering.     I doubt you can just add the power steering, as what's the point ?   You'd still have all those turns lock to lock.

Currently out of town, so can't check FSM at the moment.

I am 99% sure you are correct about the stop to stop gearing being different because my 79 came with factory power steering but a friend had one with manual steering and his had a much easier turn of the steering wheel than mine when I loosened the pwr steering belt it became twice as hard to turn.

If your truck is as mint as you say then I would run 31 or 33's find some factory 4.56's or 4.88's (my 79 came with 4.37's)  I kept my front in the stock location until my wreck because swapping to ifs and histeer was more money than I had. 
   What I did was I went to a junk yard and got some 2wd chevy S10 rear springs and made my own spring packs for the front (toyota top two leaves, then bottom three S10 leaves) and added another long spring i think was the top S10 leaf to the rear directly under the second leaf of the stock rear pack.

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way