Author Topic: New IFS box - Thanks Trevor  (Read 4245 times)

Ritchie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 539
  • Male Posts: 265
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
New IFS box - Thanks Trevor
« on: Nov 09, 2018, 03:26:03 AM »
I recently received an IFS box from MC and have a question:

Is the rebuilt box set up to position the wheel @ 12:00, meaning if I attach the steering shaft with the steering wheel straight, will I have equal amount of turns LT & RT?

I didn't get home in time to call MC on Thursday.

Any input is welcomed.
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: New IFS box - Thanks Trevor
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2018, 04:49:31 AM »
Center the box. Then attach steering shaft.
hold this. . .

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2018, 05:29:18 AM »
Will do... just wanted clarification as to whether or not it was set during the rebuild.

Thanks for the reply.
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2018, 02:10:25 PM »
Just an up-date:
So I installed the box on Saturday. Doing this enabled me to spend time shortening up the winch cabling and PS lines. They no longer enter/ exit the DS wheel well. Now all are through the core support and looks really clean.
The new box has a shorter turning radius which I thought all were the same. Add to that, there is not a bleeder port on top of the new box as the old had one.
And yes, the box was centered but as suggested, I verified and all turned out well.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2018, 01:41:28 PM »
Update:
The steering is great and feels solid for the 1st time in more than 2.5 years.
I did get an occasional DS wheel hop after running over uneven pavement or bumps in the road. I am happy to say that the installation of a FOX steering stabilizer cured the issue.
No longer do I need to be up on the wheel ready to combat the wandering that resulted from driving on our crappy roads here in San Diego.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »
My Marlin box was centered, as I'm sure they all are, but left mine loose for the first "right-left" test.  Happy as a clam with my PS box and High-steer, Great Mod. Thanks again, Marlin and Crew.   :biggthumpup:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

epantano

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 275
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:54:24 PM »
Just an observation, but is your box vertical? I'm asking because looks like your pitman arm is stock drop. Are you hitting your spring like this? I just replaced my arm for that exact reason.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2018, 05:53:09 AM »
The box is close to vertical. The pitman arm clears everything by quite a bit. Do you need other pics?

epantano

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 275
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2018, 07:19:08 AM »
I think he has a three link conversion, no leaf springs to get in the way.
I see sure looks that way! Nevermind.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:11:22 PM »
So I made some inner fender splash guards for the front side of each shock tower. The DS inner fender well was cut larger than I wanted for the old winch cables and PS lines which I rerouted. Adding this cleaned up the area.
For the PS inner fender area, I relocated the windshield washer reservoir which left a large opening so I made a splash guard for it.
Next up are the rears for both sides which will happen once I re-do both front brake lines.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:59:36 PM »
After the SAC is now 100% complete and without issue... I was finally able to use my truck last Saturday.  In our group were 11 Tacoma's, 1 newer 4Runner and 1 Jeep.  We were in the southeast corner of San Diego county in an area known as 'Valley Of The Moon.'
Everyone had a great time and credit to Eric @sdfstop for taking the time to snap some photos.

edit:  I had to edit the Hashtag part for Eric. I'm new to social media.

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2019, 01:13:05 PM by Ritchie »

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:13:35 PM »
This just left Me wanting More!  :thumbdown:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:03:04 AM »
Haha... me too.
Sadly, those are the only pics he took. There will be more in the near future.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2019, 03:14:45 PM »
Did a bit of wheelin' at Corral Canyon OHV. Steering did well and we all had a great time.
Here is a pic of the steering being tested. All good.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 15, 2019, 03:18:28 PM »
... and here's another:

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2021, 08:52:09 AM »
Hey guys...

Scenario:
My steering is great off road and at very low speeds. Recently I've noticed that while driving on road with the wheel straight, I get a bit of resistance if I want to slightly turn RT while making a lane change. Once I 'crack' the wheel to the RT, the steering is smooth again.

This may be a weird question but here goes: What can or is causing this? It only happens in that one spot and only to the RT.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Ritchie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2023, 08:34:30 AM »
So, no real updates, but the resistance in the steering was air in the system. All good now. The front of the truck is all set without issue.

In September of 2021, I ordered a pair of FOX 12" CO's, Hyperco springs and other parts to 3 link the rear.
Brian from 4WU made a visit to my dads shop to get dimensions in making a 3 link kit for the 1st gen Tacomas. He made his templates and he was off.

Fast forward some months and I now have his 1st kit for the Tacoma. After several months, I received word from him that the coil springs have arrived. Still waiting on a plate kit to box the rear before I tackle this project.

Blovid19 really screwed up logistics... I was hoping to be finished by now.

More to follow.