Author Topic: Auxrillry tank to main tank transfer.  (Read 5973 times)

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Auxrillry tank to main tank transfer.
« Reply #30 on: Sep 24, 2018, 10:17:07 PM »
But it's full of cheese...……...
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sep 25, 2018, 05:03:17 AM »
But it's full of cheese...……...

If it's 7 to 10 year old sharp Cheddar,  now we're talking good cheese. :thumbs: :yumyum:

10 year old Cheddar is about 70 to 80 dollars a pound by the way.

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sep 25, 2018, 05:37:54 AM »
Ok maybe I should describe how the system works. The Aux tank has a fill spout and a fuel level gauge on one side. There are three(3) 1/2" holes on the top of the tank, and a 1" hole on the bottom of the tank in the sump.

Looking at the tank from your right to my left, there are the following connections.   An air pressure regulator with gauge and a ball vavle. The fitting for the fuel pickup line/tube. A fitting with a ball valve for bleeding the pressure off the tank.

How it works is this.
1) You fill the Aux with fuel.
2) Replace the cap on the Fill tube
3) Open the valve on the air line. The tank is now pressurized to 10 to 15 PSI as per the regulator setting.
4) When you want to fill the main tank. You open the Vent Solenoid and then the fuel solenoid. The air pressure in the Aux tank pushes the fuel up the pickup tube and through the fuel line to the main tank. When the fuel gauge for the main tank show a full tank, you close the fuel solenoid and the vent solenoid. 
5) To refill the Aux tank you close the ball valve on the air line, then you open the ball valve for the pressure release line. You remove the cap on the fill tube. See step 1).  :biggthumpup:

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #33 on: Sep 25, 2018, 05:40:09 AM »
Although this thread has gotten somewhat “cheesy”, it appears you have figured out the “how-to”.   :beerchug:

I believe there is DNA in man that drives him to be attracted to a high stakes challenge.  Like those that attempt to sail around the world in a small sail boat and do it alone.  Or, the Iditarod Dog Sled Race.  :driving:

Although I have zero ambition or desire to exercise any of my lingering DNA to be a high stakes challenger, I am always curious when I read about those who do. :inthedark:

So…. if you don’t mind sharing, what drives you to want to do your expeditions in such challenging conditions?  And what is your “joy” to do this?  :psss:

I 4-wheeled for many years.  For me ….. when it is 115d F here in sunny AZ, it was usually just a tad too hot to truly enjoy a trail run.  So the level of discomfort had to be less than the joy.  When. and if. the discomfort was way more than the joy, I didn’t go. :gap:

Gnarls. :blah:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #34 on: Sep 25, 2018, 06:57:36 AM »
Is there a check valve in this "fill" line from the aux to primary tank? If not all I see is a gravity feed system that requires pressure to start the fill process. After that its siphoning by gravity.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sep 25, 2018, 08:04:17 AM »
Although I have zero ambition or desire to exercise any of my lingering DNA to be a high stakes challenger, I am always curious when I read about those who do. :inthedark:

So…. if you don’t mind sharing, what drives you to want to do your expeditions in such challenging conditions?  And what is your “joy” to do this?  :psss:
Gnarls. :blah:

Well I don't try to do my trips in extreme conditions,  but since a trip can be up to two weeks long the weather can change. You have to be ready to deal with conditions,  rain, snow or shine. 

Having enough fuel has always been a PIA on some trips.  I don't know if you hunt and fish, but having to waste a great morning for hunting or fishing just because you have to drive out to a trading post or town to get fuel sucks.

And there is also sections of highway up here where the fuel stops are six or seven hours apart.

You should google "James Bay Road", Dempster highway, Castlegar highway, McKenzie Highway.

The isolation and quietness are overwhelming,  and the landscapes, sun rises etc will touch your soal.

I grew up in the far north and you can not understand how hard some places down south are on me.

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Sep 25, 2018, 08:17:04 AM »
Is there a check valve in this "fill" line from the aux to primary tank? If not all I see is a gravity feed system that requires pressure to start the fill process. After that its siphoning by gravity.

There is a fuel shutoff solenoid.  Because of the height the fuel has to be lifted it is not classed as a graverty system, and with pressure behind the fuel it will not siphon through the filters.

Once the fuel has dropped over the head( Filter manifold) gravity helps it flow down hill, but if you lost tank pressure it would stop flowing because there is not enough suction to draw the fuel through the filters and there is also a vacum created in the Aux tank.

Very good question, one that I have to be able to answer to prove that it is not simple gravity feed. :thumbs:

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sep 25, 2018, 10:42:13 AM »
it sounds to me like you are making it overly difficult on yourself........

and this coming from me, who makes things overly difficult on myself all of the time.......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sep 25, 2018, 11:55:51 AM »
it sounds to me like you are making it overly difficult on yourself........

and this coming from me, who makes things overly difficult on myself all of the time.......

Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.  :D You got a crawler box in your truck? A crawler box which you had to get/make new drive shafts, cut holes in the floor of the cab, install shifter boots, most importantly install  a sticker to use.  Now you say me hooking up a couple solenoid, ball valves and a few feet of fuel hose, wire and a electric switch is over complicated. :eek: :ha_ha:

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #39 on: Sep 25, 2018, 12:59:03 PM »
Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.  :D You got a crawler box in your truck? A crawler box which you had to get/make new drive shafts, cut holes in the floor of the cab, install shifter boots, most importantly install  a sticker to use.  Now you say me hooking up a couple solenoid, ball valves and a few feet of fuel hose, wire and a electric switch is over complicated. :eek: :ha_ha:
Sure dont, but an electric pump just seems way easier to transfer fuel

Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #40 on: Sep 25, 2018, 06:15:05 PM »
Little $40 electric pump with 3/8 fuel line would be just fine with a valve to stop the flow and be completely legal.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sep 25, 2018, 06:24:13 PM »
Little $40 electric pump with 3/8 fuel line would be just fine with a valve to stop the flow and be completely legal.

The pneumatic system uses 1" fuel hose and does 6 gallons a minute at low pressure( 10 to 15 psi), and 10+ Gallons a minute at higher pressures.

Guys, Love the peer review but 99% of the system is built and ready to install.   :beer:

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sep 25, 2018, 06:26:36 PM »
Sure dont, but an electric pump just seems way easier to transfer fuel

How high can your little electric pump draw fuel? Two feet, three feet, four feet?

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sep 25, 2018, 06:37:11 PM »
Rockcrawltoy, that is no little electric pump...it draws almost as many amps as a ARB compressor.. :headscratch:
Yes 3.5 meters is good at just under 10 feet.  ;)

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #44 on: Sep 25, 2018, 06:41:36 PM »
Rockcrawltoy, that is no little electric pump...it draws almost as many amps as a ARB compressor.. :headscratch:
Yes 3.5 meters is good at just under 10 feet.  ;)

That was for diesel so I deleted it.  who said little fuel pump? WHo cares about amp when it’s gonna run for what 1-3 minutes.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Sep 25, 2018, 06:50:03 PM »
That was for diesel so I deleted it.  who said little fuel pump? WHo cares about amp when it’s gonna run for what 1-3 minutes.

I asked how high can your "little" fuel pump draw.  :yesnod:  But it is ok.    :thumbs:

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sep 26, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »
nah, my truck has a rear limited slip with 4.56s, 35s, and an electric transfer case
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~