Author Topic: looking for permanent solution for preventing mice in blower fan?  (Read 708 times)

KauriJ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Female Posts: 12
  • Member since Oct '17
    • Kauri's vacation photos
The blower fan on our 1999 4Runner keeps getting filled with grass, nuts, etc., likely due to mice, or perhaps a chipmunk. If we clean it out, it just gets refilled---we've tried parking in a different location in our driveway, and dousing the fan housing in Lysol, but even that doesn't seem to be discouraging them.

I've read the many excellent posts on the 4Runner forums on cleaning out the blower fan, but oddly I'm not allowed to start a new thread there until I have lots of replies. I'm hoping folks here will have some suggestions on how to block off the entrance so that critters can't get in.

Also, I'm not particularly comfortable doing anything much more difficult than removing the blower fan (apologies for that---I study mathematics, where "experiments are cheap" :) so my mechanical skills are limited). However, fortunately we live only a couple hours drive from Mudrak's shop, so I could potentially take it there for specialty work if there isn't an easier fix.

I'm starting to get exasperated enough with this that I'm willing to "hit the thumbtack with a sledgehammer" and look into having a snorkel installed (since it'd be useful for future expeditions anyway), or somehow seal things off from underneath, if that would seal things up enough to solve the problem (I'm saying this humorously :) ).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

gnob

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 396
  • Member since May '02
A big cat
Poison
Make a grate under the cowl so they can't get in
hold this. . .

Lewis Hein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 244
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
Hey KauriJ,

I didn't know anyone else on here had studied mathematics. Good for you!

I assume you mean the blower fan for the heater/ac? Our 93 pickup had this problem, only with us it was a mouse that built a nest in the blower: This first came to our attention when I noticed one day that the heat and A/C system smelled like rotting meat and there was lots of junk blowing out of the vents. The air for the in-cab climate control comes in at the louvers right in front of the windshield, with a grille to keep critters out: sometime between 85 and 93 Toyota switched this to a plastic grill which can break or be chewed through.

I would start by inspecting this grille, which should be visible under the sheet metal. A snorkel for the engine will not help this problem, as the two air systems are seperated.

liveoak

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 115
  • Member since Mar '08
the louvers lewis speaks of do not seal the cowl area from mice, they can easily crawl in through the fenderwell, you have to place a grate over the cowl opening which is hard to get to, you can remove the valance and try to reach your hand in there or remove the fan and reach up laying down backwards on the floorboard. I have cut a 1/4" or smaller squared screen to the basic shape of the cowl opening and siliconed it in on all my vehicles because of the mice around here, don't forget to also screen the engine intake tube to keep them from making a nest under the air filter in the air box. if you  have a car you have to screen the rubber flapped air exit vents usually found in the trunk under the liner behind each rear wheel. be glad you don't have a newer vehicle as toyota has started using wiring with a soy based coating that actually attracts rodents to your vehicle. just google "rodents eating toyota wiring" some people have success with spraying peppermint oil in the engine bay as well as irish spring original scent bar soap (not aloe vera) placed around in engine bay
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2018, 01:38:11 PM by liveoak »
my 3rz swap. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97722.0

Let me start off with a basket of chips

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 646
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
(Outside) Cat method is highly effective. A little gross when they're chewed up and left on the door step, but better than in your vehicle :thumbs:
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

liveoak

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 115
  • Member since Mar '08
an outdoor cat wouldn't survive very long where some of us live, unless you have a coyote for a pet, you won't have a pet for long. Around here putting your animals out at night is considered feeding the coyotes
my 3rz swap. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97722.0

Let me start off with a basket of chips

KauriJ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Female Posts: 12
  • Member since Oct '17
    • Kauri's vacation photos
Thank you to everyone for all the information! This is such a wonderfully welcoming and knowledgeable group on this forum!

@liveoak: thank you for all the detailed info---that'll solve the problem perfectly, and is something I can handle! And,
yes, where I live an outdoor cat would (unfortunately) probably end up as a coyote's dinner.

@Lewis Hein: I'm also surprised to find someone else on this forum who has studied math! I'm currently in grad school working on differential geometry, and hoping to get a teaching/research job after I graduate (partly so I can travel during the summer). How about you?

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 954
  • Male Posts: 1,541
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • My build thread
I would recommend using 1/4” expanded diamond mesh lath to incorporate liveoak’s idea. It is easily cut with a pair of tin snips and is galvanized so it won’t rust right away, but paint will make it last even longer and will take the shine off it. Lath is thick enough that the rodent intruders can’t chew through it, but flexible enough that you can form it to any contour.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2018, 01:08:04 PM by helipilot77 »
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-te turbo diesel with custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97311.0[/ur