Author Topic: Timing chain broke, now I begin my first chain replacement  (Read 3191 times)

IMRICH

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
I have an 85 Toyota pickup with an unknown year 22 RTE.  I had just started it up to leave a gas station and there was a noise and 0 spark.  I tried to restart but nothing happened.  So turns out that I had a broken timing chain.  I am in the process of installing a new one but how do I find TDC?  I would like to get the timing chain replaced then do a compression test to see if I have bent valves.  Not sure how to go about this as the timing mark on the crank is not close to lining up with the mark on the cam gear.
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2018, 05:29:36 PM by IMRICH »

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The chain has marker links on it.  Put one on the crank mark at the bottom of the gear, # 1 cyl. will be top dead center if you have rotated the crank with the plugs out and your finger over the plug hole and feel the rush of air coming out as it comes up, rotating clockwise. with that set, go back up to the head and rotate the cam to have the mark on the gear at 12 o'clock. the other mark will line up now, if not, take the chain off and rotate it, top link to the bottom and bottom link to the top, the links are not equal from on side to the other.  You need the cam gear off anyway but set the cam at 12 o'clock first. there should be NO slop on the driver's side of the chain with both marks lined up, cam at 12:00, crank at 6:00. You will have to collapse the chain tensioner and rotate the crank a little when trying to get the gear back on, the tensioner comes from the factory with a pin locking it back, so you just  pull the pin after the chain is installed, at least it used to.  Your on your way, have fun, it's awesome to do it yourself. Most of all, put metal chain guides in while you have it out.  :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: 
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2018, 06:50:49 PM by Slabzilla »
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Some pictures to help.

Distributor install

The 22re is an interference engine, so you could have damaged the valves if the engine was turning over at the time the chain broke.
To set  timing.

Install the distributor like this

The t-chain may not be your only fix, the 22r is an interference engine, so if it was turning over when the chain broke, you could have slightly bent valves
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

IMRICH [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Thanks guys that is exactly what I was looking for.

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
How can these chains snap? Did you notice the chain slapping noise?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Cmpns8n

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
There are some pretty helpful YouTube videos out there too.  As was stated above, if your chain actually BROKE, you very well could have bent valves and might be better off having your head checked out.  There are a couple of tricks in those videos too as far as lining everything up and making sure you dont forget the hidden timing cover bolt.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Pull the head. You will have bent valves.  :usa:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Go to harbor freight, buy a dial indicator. Check each valve for runout. My guess is some are bent.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Just check the valve lash. If you find that one is way loose. Bingo bent-o  :wave: Hi I am your bent valve.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.