Author Topic: Marlin Crawler  (Read 2397 times)

Dale Martini

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Aug '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Marlin Crawler
« on: Aug 27, 2018, 06:16:43 PM »
I have a 85 Toyota truck with a W56 Marlin built transmission and stock transfer case. In the sometime distant future I plan on changing out the 22RE to a 22RET. That being said is there a way for me to put in a 23 spline crawler and make it work safely with what I already have?
Thanks in advance!
Dale Martini

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
Re: Marlin Crawler
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2018, 12:33:26 PM »
Short answer, no.  The coupler that is on the output shaft of the transmission is 21 spline.  There is no way to change that output shaft in the transmission to make it 23 spline.  However going to a 22ret shouldn't break your 21 spline input.   It is not that dramatic of an increase in power.  Id run it just like it is.
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2018, 08:54:29 PM »
I don’t see the purpose of that coupler. Yes then you can put a 23 spline tcase input in, but the trans output is still 21 spline. So you haven’t strengthened anything, just moved the weak link from the tcase input to the trans output. And I’d rather break a tcase input any day over a trans output.

I think more importantly, the t-case input sees at least 2.28x less torque than the t-case output when in low range.  You need the 23-spline more at the t-case output thought my wimpy 21-spline stuff has been doing just fine with my high output (my 4Runner is lifted) big horsepower (singular) engine.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2018, 09:44:23 AM »
I think more importantly, the t-case input sees at least 2.28x less torque than the t-case output when in low range.  You need the 23-spline more at the t-case output thought my wimpy 21-spline stuff has been doing just fine with my high output (my 4Runner is lifted) big horsepower (singular) engine.

Correct.  It is suggested to have a 23 spline input for the second case if you are running a dual case, because 2.28 times the torque is hitting that input when the front case is in low.  Factory outputs are 27 spline, but Marlin sells 30 spline upgraded outputs which will see the most torque.  For your front case the input being 21 spline is not a problem.  It is extremely rare to hear of someone breaking a the input in a front case, and the input on the front case breaking is saving your transmission from breaking.  If you are worried about breaking a front input, you need to upgrade your transmission.

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 786
  • Male Posts: 944
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2018, 10:40:20 AM »
  Not the ultimate set up but a neat option to have for the guy who happens to have that 23 spline set up sitting there.
Sharing time between Northern Ca and Western Tn..

Dale Martini [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Aug '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for responding to my post! a lot of great info. I will take Hanks advice and stick with the 21 spline. (Thanks Hank) My 1985 Hilux Truck is almost finished. All that is needed is the Crawler.