Author Topic: NOPVMNT: H8PVMNT's new job...  (Read 12625 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
NOPVMNT: H8PVMNT's new job...
« on: Aug 27, 2018, 04:57:11 AM »
What the heck happened to H8PVMNT?  He used to post every day whether we wanted him to or not and now he dropped off the face of the earth.

My nice job as a state appraiser with an office in small town MT was about to change this year due to a budget fiasco from our wonderful politicians not being able to get along with each other.  We had 56 MT Dept of Revenue appraisal offices where people in every county could come do business, complain or ask questions face to face.  This was especially useful in the rural counties where folks still aren't comfortable doing everything online.  Due to a 277 million dollar mistake in the budget we had to close all but 12 of our offices over the course of a year.  Most of us still had our jobs, but we were required to work remotely and report to a hub office in a bigger town as often as needed.  The point of contact for the tax payer would be gone.  With a trend to have less communication with the people we serve and tightening policies we were headed down a road to becoming faceless bureaucrats.  These jobs never paid much, but the work conditions were excellent in the smaller town offices and you could really do right by people.  You take that away and there isn't much motivation to continue the job.

I had been working part time fixing things and running machinery for a local organic farmer we buy our hay from since spring.  The work became more and more as the year went on and pretty soon I was working my state job and 30 to 40 hours a week farming too.  I was just about ready to make the move to the hub office when my farmer buddy asked me what it would take to get me full time, all the time.  I made him a number that would cover my salary and the benefits I would be loosing quitting the state and he went for it.  The goal is to save him enough repairing and maintaining machinery and driving trucks to cover my salary.

It has been said in joking that where I live the real estate is so cheap they almost pay you to live here.  In this case it's the actual truth.  The job also comes with a full time residence on site.  It is an old farmstead with an aging house and numerous outbuildings on a couple thousand acres of ranch land.  This is where they keep the cows most of the year so we will be responsible for checking the herd almost daily and maintaining fences and stock water.  Lots of wheeling  :thumbs:.  This area is covered with prairie dogs, pheasants and huge mule deer.  Terrain varies from rolling prairie to nasty badlands and valleys with v-notches and steep slopes.

We will be keeping our other home which is a paid for off grid cabin on an excellent trout stream for the weekends and slower times of the year.

My Toyota is slowly being adapted to become whatever we need that day, from an all terrain fencing machine to a mobile fab shop.  I can write off parts and tools which will be fun.  I have found that leaving the welder at home is kind of like coming to work with no pants on.

The tough part was going from working 2 jobs to dropping right into harvest, the busiest time of the year for the farming end.  This meant instant 12-16 hour days with a day off only if weather slowed us down. 

We just finished harvest, so the schedule will get a bit more relaxed and taper off to just a little cow checking and rebuilding things over the bitter winter months until calving starts in early spring. It should all pan out to about the same amount of hours you would work full time all year.

I will be posting pictures and antics of this new job/lifstyle experiment.  Should be fun and interesting...

« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2018, 06:23:21 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: NOPVMNT: H8PVMNT's new job...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2018, 05:23:33 AM »
Harvest consists of about a month of getting up too early to fuel, grease and blow out machinery and move the right machines to the right fields, then you cut wheat, barley, oats or whatever with about a half million dollar lawn mower, which sorts the actual grain off and blows the chafe out the back.  This also dumps grain into a huge cart pulled by about a 250 thousand dollar tractor, while moving, without smacking the machines into each other.  This is quite stressful the first few times you do it :).

Then you dump the grain into a tractor trailer and pump it into a huge death star sized grain bin with an auger powered by a PTO.  You repeat this process until 11:00PM or midnight, then you have a beer and go to bed for a few hours to do it all again. 

Other than the pace it's pretty easy and air conditioned until something breaks, then you sweat under he scorching sun while grinding and welding in a highly flammable environment with slightly less than the right tools.  This is an awful lot like fixing 4x4s out on the trail   :biggthumpup:.
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2018, 06:17:09 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2018, 05:30:33 AM »
The best part is this farm operation is organic, which means I don't have to roll in chemicals all the time and I can feel good about the food we are growing.  Did you know that non-organic chick peas, used to make humus, among other things, are killed off and dried out to ease harvest by spraying them with something that is a nerve agent to humans?  Don't eat humus!  If you knew all the stuff they spray on our food you wouldn't buy most of the stuff at the grocery store!

Here is a bit about Casey, my farmer buddy and one of the companies marketing his grain...  https://blog.generalmills.com/2018/04/how-annies-is-working-differently-in-montana/
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2018, 06:19:07 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2018, 06:26:15 AM »
Big rocks will damage the combine header (big cutting thingy on the front), so you try to get them out of the field.  I was able to pick this one up with a chain and the winch and crawl it to a ditch where it can live in peace...

– Steve McQueen

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2018, 07:47:44 AM »
Congrats H8PVMNT on the new job.

You are right about the nasty stuff they spray on agricultural things. I learned a bit about that during my biology coursework in college. Also when I was in Peru I saw a fair amount of agriculture one way or another. Seeing the way the crops were grown made me want to avoid rice, bananas, and pretty much everything else.  Basically, most stuff sprayed on crops is remarkably good at damaging living things, including (gasp) you 'n' me.

It's great to hear that you have a job that requires more outside work wheeling and less time in an office. Happy farming!

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2018, 02:40:44 PM »
This thread is the greatest thing since sliced...elbow pasta :)
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2018, 03:05:00 PM by 300k »
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2018, 03:23:54 PM »
Badass man, sometimes change does the mind/body/soul good. totally cool!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2018, 04:18:16 AM »
After harvest we got a few days to catch up on cows.  They are pretty nice cows, for cows   :thumbs:.  We herd them into a sorting pen where the boys get them to go down a squeeze chute into a table that clamps down on them and flips them on their side.  Then we put ear tags in and do something horrible to the bull calves and give them each a free rubber band.  Then they are officially steers.

Went out and ate a ribeye that night.

– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2018, 04:20:54 AM »
"Walking the crawler" totally plays for herding cows.  You put it in 2nd double low, set course and then get out and walk.  The cows totally think there are two of you...

– Steve McQueen

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2018, 05:08:36 AM »
Something horrible with the rubber band gun isnt near as bad as we used to have to do it. My step grandpaw has a couple hundred head of beef cow and I remember as a kid having to use the case knife on them little fellers as two grown men would have them by the back leg in a chute.   :yikes:
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

fireitup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2018, 07:20:52 AM »
The best part is this farm operation is organic, which means I don't have to roll in chemicals all the time and I can feel good about the food we are growing.  Did you know that non-organic chick peas, used to make humus, among other things, are killed off and dried out to ease harvest by spraying them with something that is a nerve agent to humans?  Don't eat humus!  If you knew all the stuff they spray on our food you wouldn't buy most of the stuff at the grocery store!

Here is a bit about Casey, my farmer buddy and one of the companies marketing his grain...  https://blog.generalmills.com/2018/04/how-annies-is-working-differently-in-montana/

Great article. Sounds like you are working for a class A outfit H8!
82 Pickup - 22R : OME NitroChargers/Springs : Timing Chain @ 180K

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2018, 10:44:21 AM »
Something horrible with the rubber band gun isnt near as bad as we used to have to do it. My step grandpaw has a couple hundred head of beef cow and I remember as a kid having to use the case knife on them little fellers as two grown men would have them by the back leg in a chute.   :yikes:

That is how a buddy's grandfather was doing it 30yrs ago, and they had the rubber band guns for sheep and goats, not sure if they were available for cattle then, or he was just old school, would branded them at the same time.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2018, 08:42:17 PM »
Kind of thinking we should hand out those rubber band guns at all the East and West coast Universities... tell them it makes the Richard bigger by starving it for blood...like a aerobic athlete gets stronger when deprived of oxygen...those leftards would believe anything...like Russian collusion...LOL

Call it the "Eunuch Challenge".
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,723
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #13 on: Sep 17, 2018, 01:35:57 PM »
How did I miss this thread? Glad you are enjoying your new job and documenting it all. Can’t wait to come and visit!
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,723
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #14 on: Oct 08, 2018, 08:53:25 PM »
That was fun. So last week I spent 5 days hanging out with H8 and his family, working on stuff around the organic farm that he works on now, shooting Prairie Dogs, and wrenching on Toyota's. That is one thing I just love about the quality of people on this forum. Thanks again to H8 and his family for welcoming me. Here are some pictures of the trip.

-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2018, 08:55:51 AM »
Sorry I haven't been on MC for a while.  But congrats on the new job. 

I really need to get that way and do some prairie dog shooting.  I love that area.  Beautiful.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2018, 11:54:11 AM »
Part of the job through winter is constant cow checking.  This herd is not really on much of a schedule so it's important to keep track of which cows are knocked up and keep an eye out for new calves before the temps plummet.

About half the herd is located in this big coulee, or valley for you coastal folks.  There are numerous v-notches and badlands type terrain that make for great wheeling opportunities.  Christmas eve we made cow checking into a family outing.  Here are a few pics of Caleb and I wheeling in some notches.  We kept it pretty mild...

« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2018, 04:09:31 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2018, 12:18:07 PM »
Man that looks like fun. Caleb's truck looks like it has some pretty mean articulation? How are your OME springs vs your RUF pack? I imagine it being warm and sunny but it was probably below 40 :gap:

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2018, 03:54:54 PM »
Haha yeah it was about mid 20s. 

The OME fronts are every bit as flexy as my RUFs, just a bit firmer ride.  I think the RUFs would make more articulation in theory but the limiting factor on the '80 is the 10" stroke shock. The rear OMEs are not real flexy, they are more for truck duty, but overall the truck performs great.

Caleb has some nice long RUFs with no shocks so it has huge articulation.
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:19:53 AM »
Got back from hauling grain last night and my wife calls and says there is a cow out at the place we are staying, could be more.  I grabbed a couple round bales of alfalfa with the bale truck and headed home...  ALL of the cows were out!  Must be between 150 and 200 here right now. Took us about an hour and a half with the bale truck and 2 Toyotas, but we were able to coerce the sea of beef back into where they were supposed to be and fix the crappy barbed wire gate they destroyed.

Cows are buttheads.
– Steve McQueen

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2019, 04:38:09 AM »
 Sounds like a hassle, but WAY better than pigs. Neighbors who don't fence their pigs properly are a common grievance where I live.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:44:46 AM »
Cows are buttheads.

Yeah. We were out on a nice little hunting road and it's someone's land of course. They had cows beef (was male and female. still call them cows?) all over and there was this one big ole' drooling bull just sitting broadside in the road. I put it in double low and just started inching towards him until he moved. But he really seemed like a big orange colored jerk.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2019, 01:39:28 PM by 300k »

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:14:23 AM »
Winter finally came and slapped us with a big snow stick this week.  This has caused the guy I work for to ski as much as possible on the weekends and go indoors and do his book work throughout the week.  Calving should start in the middle of February.  Right now the routine is feeding and watering cows in the morning and fixing things in the afternoon.

I'll try to post a day in the life of...

My day starts at 3:00AM, coffee with the wife until she works at 4:00AM teaching Chinese kids online.  Then I make some breakfast and try to thow something at her between classes...

Breakfast wrap with pancakes, bacon, sausage and eggs.

– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:19:51 AM »
The work day starts by unloading the previous days junk and chiseling the ice off suspension components so the truck works...

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2019, 03:55:21 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:23:53 AM »
The big cistern at the ranch house is messed up so we use a 500 gallon tank in the basement for domestic water.  Hauling water pre-dawn is an almost daily affair.  Water comes from a fill station in the little town about 7 miles away.  Recently lost the lid to the tank so the truck gets covered in an inch of ice every time while we wait for the new one to show up.

– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:31:42 AM »
Then I go to work and start the day by feeding hungry cows and breaking the ice in a reservoir with the Toyota.  The cows will actually walk out on the ice and fall through if you don't break a spot.  I was getting stuck in it but then I started chaining up.  Found my old rusty mud service chains from years ago. I used to use chain up before I had lockers and big tires.  Never really had use for chains for recreational wheeling after 35s and lockers.  Now I have little tires again but all the gearing and drivetrain goodies.  Let me tell you, locked up, dual t-case and chained up you can pretty much creep up, down, in or out of anything icy and snowy.

I still don't necessarily condone chains for rec snow wheeling, but for no nonsense work duty they are perfect.

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2019, 03:57:59 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:40:00 AM »
Needed a little tractor with forks on it to move a bunch of seed around in a shed.  The shifter linkage must have water in it because it locks up below freezing.  The usual way to unthaw it is to use a space heater in the shop but it was parked out a ways.  I'll be taking that apart later but for now I piped he exhaust to the frozen shifter with a bit of suction line. Unthawed in 15 minutes.
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:43:23 AM »
Had a busted rear shock eye so I needed to double check engineering.  Confirmed the length is fine so it must have been continual washboards.  Looked like the shock eye broke at the seem where a weld wasn't quite finished.  Anyway the front emu springs really seem to get it  :thumbs:.

– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:53:15 AM »
Snow wheeled home cross country 12 miles.  Blowing snow is like icy sand...
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04:00:17 AM »
Ended by unloading pellets and trying an odd beer my boss brought back from a ski trip...
– Steve McQueen