Author Topic: Another New Goodyear All Terrain  (Read 4428 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Another New Goodyear All Terrain
« on: Aug 24, 2018, 10:38:37 PM »
Quick version:  I ordered and had installed (or so I thought) all 5 goodyear duratracs in 6 ply flavor.  I've been beating around off road this whole time wondering why my 6 ply tires are as stiff or stiffer than my old 10 plies, then went to change my brakes recently and the max psi was in my line of sight... 80 psi?  On a 6 ply?

Ordered and had the tires changed again and it was intolerable to drive.  Already canceled 2 road trips due to the horrible ride and wigglin steering wheel at all speeds above 25 mph.  In and out of the shop several times before I finally call goodyear and get authorization to replace them with another goodyear product, so...

I installed these and am much happier now.  I just hope they allow me to corner as aggressively as the earlier 10 plies did -

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/goodyear-wrangler-ultraterrain-at/p/44183
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Another New Goodyear All Terrain
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2018, 12:11:21 AM »
What was the problem with old tires?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2018, 06:06:21 AM »
They were duratracs.....

I think what people missed about duratracs is they are a commercial tire not a consumer tire.  They aren't meant to ride good.
hold this. . .

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2018, 01:21:34 PM »
They balanced out well and rode fine in the 10 ply flavor, but when I swapped to the 6 plies they rode terrible.  I road force balanced them and only one was close to out of spec.  Replaced that one and the new one road forced beautifully and balanced well, but again the steering wheel wobbled at all speeds. 

Three or four of the tires shared the same date code so I suspect they had a bad run of carcasses. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2018, 10:15:51 PM »
I didn't know you were having so many issues with Duratracs. Bummer! Hope the new tires do a lot better.... looking forward to a report after you have time to wring 'em out thoroughly. They must be brand new, I haven't had much luck finding info about sizing, load range, etc etc. Are they an America's Tire / Discount Tire exclusive?
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2018, 10:12:15 AM »
I didn't know you were having so many issues with Duratracs.

Only with the 6 ply I installed august 6th

They must be brand new, I haven't had much luck finding info about sizing, load range, etc etc. Are they an America's Tire / Discount Tire exclusive?

:yesnod:
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2019, 08:53:08 PM »
Finally got a chance to offer up an update: rain and snow

I drove in a range of snowy conditions from hidden slushy patches you couldn’t see, slush up to about 1 1/2” deep, to 5” deep snow.  They pretty much performed as expected in all conditions.  Slid a little in the slush but mostly held a line unless I stabbed the throttle, with the back end wanting to walk out slightly on steeper off camber or banked corners.  I stopped several times from level ground to decent grades and they hooked fairly well if you are careful, but they weren’t happy taking off in the slush as the grade increased.  I was able to stay in 2wd for quite a bit of the time and was going between 30-40 mph depending on conditions.  I have about a 10 second video I will link later.

I have been doing fine in rain until recently.  I began pushing them a little and they would break free.  No surprise, I was kinda forcing the issue.  But today as I was rolling through an intersection, the front end broke loose a little and slid.  I wasn’t pushing it or turning quickly, or at least that’s what I thought.  A little more messing around will help me determine if it’s a me issue or a tire issue.  Which leads me to the next part...

My new wheels will be here this week and I am contemplating getting new tires.  I originally wanted the bfg ko2 and may go with those but am looking for other cheaper options which may perform similarly.  I really liked the original goodyear duratracs I had but they’re a bit spendy.  I am trying to avoid going with a mud tire but am intrigued by the milestar patagonia mt.  I will be doing a bit more research this week between customers and honestly am on the fence about getting new tires or just running these a bit longer, though now would honestly be the best time to swap em out
RIP KYOTA

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2019, 05:19:22 AM »
I'm also interested in the Patagonias........
Time to go wheelin!

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,336
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2019, 09:36:47 AM »
I'm also interested in the Patagonias........

they are cheap at least in 37s. under 250 bucks a tire
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2019, 09:43:07 AM »
they are cheap at least in 37s. under 250 bucks a tire

I know!!

Time to go wheelin!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:42:15 AM »
Week's almost over and I'm nowhere nearer making a decision.  May just swap to the new wheels tomorrow or saturday if we're slow enough and keep running these.  On my way back from duck hunting this morning I started thinking again of trying a set of 255/85-16, but they're not a cheap option and I'd need 5, plus there aren't many options in that size either, especially since I'm trying my damndest to avoid running a mud tire.
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:19:31 PM »
Week's almost over and I'm nowhere nearer making a decision.
Welcome to the club, though I *think* I'm finally pretty close to deciding what. Just not yet sure about when....   :dunno:

May just swap to the new wheels tomorrow or saturday if we're slow enough and keep running these.
Yeah, if it were me, I would get some more mileage out of your existing tires. But that's just me.    :twocents:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2019, 12:42:16 PM »
New wheels are on with the old tires.  Trying to decide if I wanna lift the front a little more and get some 255/85-16 later on
RIP KYOTA