Author Topic: The Right Coast  (Read 1541 times)

JBK

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 141
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The Right Coast
« on: Jul 24, 2018, 07:53:52 AM »
Fellas, I finally got the courage up to throw a post up on MC!  I have been on lurking on MC for a LONG time.  Like dial up days!  Any way, I live in SC.  Like South Carolina.  I have had a couple of Toyota trucks.  88 4runner, 84 4runner,93 Pickup, 85 4runner, 06 Tundra, 12 4runner, 01 Sequoia.  The last 4 are all in the driveway.  The 85 4runner has pretty much been my 4x4 go to for the past 10 years.  I wouldn't call what I do "wheeling" it is more or less to get to and get back from hunting or muddy job sites.  That can mean an 2 hour interstate ride then some public land roads.  Or a trip to my private spots which are old logging roads.  It is in pretty much stock form.  The old 4runner just works.  Its just time to make it really work. 

My list of where I need to start:

Suspension: Front.  Basically to get the front springs to at least flat.  An inch would be fine. Trying to improve on the ride, get a little more flex, and get rid of the rub with my tires.  My plans are to rework the stock leaf springs removing and adding newish leafs.  I will be sticking with the stock push pull steering for now.  I bought some 33x10.5 to see how the truck would handle them.  To my surprise its not bad at all around here.  They just rub pretty bad even after a little hammering.  Rear.  Really not sure what to do here.  Chevys, OME, AAL...I want the back to ride better, handle a little more weight, and flex better. 

Steering:  This probably should go with suspension.  I just want to tighten up the stock steering while going 65ish down the interstate.  All of my trips in the truck involve the high way.  Also replacing bushings etc.

Ground Clearance:  Other than the suspension, I want to replace the stock cross member support.  Maybe a drive train lift or a 1" body lift trying to get as flat of a belly as possible.  U bolt flip kits, hopefully I can get enough lift in the front to use one. 

Recovery:  Front and Rear bumpers.  I am more concerned with attachment points.  Also the id like a rear tow hitch for pulling my small trailer and my rear cargo basket.

Lockers:  I'm going to run Spartans F/R. 

Axles:  Replace leaky seals in the front.  4.88 Gears.  Possibly upgrade the front axles. 

Transfer case:  I am not sure if duals is needed for me.  Although running 2LO would be awesome!  I need to do a good bit more research. 

Any tips or advice from y'all would be great!  I know this type of rig is not some crazy trail rig, But one day ill make the trip out west with it!

JBK [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: The Right Coast
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2018, 12:37:27 PM »
Liveoak I went 33s to see how well the truck would drive with them.  I was pretty pleased.  I have defiantly thought about 32s.  I need to look into the sway bar disconnect.  I am not familiar with that.  Thanks for the reply and welcome!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2018, 12:39:50 PM »
Heck, this isn't pirate, you could have joined a decade ago. :greengrin:

Given your planned use for the '85, I would opt for a selectable locker in just the rear, rather than 2 lunchbox ones, one locker will make a lot of difference, and being able to turn it off will keep you from being pushed in a direction you don't want to go.

With running 4.88's you likely wont need dual cases, though if the funds allow, they are nice to as they, I get plenty of use out of mine on/off the trail.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

JBK [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2018, 12:53:59 PM »
Snowtoy, I found Marlin when I was a senior in high school.  That was in 2004.  Been a regular lurker for a long time!

I will post pics when I hit 10 posts! 

And yes, a selectable locker is on my radar!  I would love to find a Toyota E-locker.  4.88s and 32s sounds plenty low to me.  I will take my time and see if they are needed.  I have some junkyard pulling to do.  Hopefully this rain holds off this weekend!

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2018, 02:05:49 PM »
There are many ways to go about the path you are looking to take with this vehicle.  It all depends on how much you want to spend getting it done.  Cheapest way Rears up front, and Chevy 63's.  You will end up with a little over a three inch lift, enough for high steer and u bolt flip kits.  This is a very soft set up, which is great for wheeling, but there are set ups that work better for the road, and just as good or better offroad.  Do you have an idea for budget on this build? I, like snowtoy, would definitely suggest a select able locker for a street/ trail rig,.  If selectables are out of the price range, maybe take a look at a tru trac. Good for road and trail, takes a little getting used to on the trail, but effective when used right.  As far as seeing what gear ratio is right for you, check the Engine RPM Calculator on the Marlin Website,( https://www.marlincrawler.com/differential/ring-pinion ) try out different combinations and see what seems like it will work best for you. 
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

JBK [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2018, 02:29:24 PM »
TRevv I am familiar with the rears up front and 63s in the rear.  I am looking for something more stock.  Basically want to take all the old worn out stock suspension and steering and make it as capable as it can be.  I have read H8pavments write up on his truck when he first got it.  That is what I am going for.  Nothing wild.  I don't have a budget per say.  Just want a reliable rig that can get me there and back.

In the future I would love to make this truck super capable.  Making a rig that could make a trip West to wheel is my ultimate dream. 

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2018, 02:58:18 PM »
Old Man Emu makes some stuff that is very good, will match your stock mounting locations and freshen everything up and add a little lift.  Check out the Marlinks for some better tie rods and tie rod ends to freshen up your steering. 
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 24, 2018, 04:25:19 PM »
Here's my thoughts and experiences:

I started with an 85 Extended Cab truck on 32s with a 3.5" Pro Comp lift with blocks in the rear.  The truck was otherwise stock and performed really well.  My next step up was to go to a Superlift 4.5" lift and eliminated the rear blocks with 33s.  This also performed reasonably well, but the rear springs has almost no travel.  I replaced the rear springs with some Alcan springs and then ended up with a small block to get the ride heights to match.  This was the setup as long as I owned it and it was a great off road performer.  The 33s is where I became immediately unhappy with the performance so switched to 4.88 gears along with a Detroit Locker in the rear and Truetrac in the front.  I'm a big fan of my Detroit Locker and was impressed with the Truetrac, but it was no locker.  The Truetrac would do well if I power braked it which was only possible because of my single 4.70:1 t-case gears otherwise I would have been stalling all the time.  I eventually stepped up to the Longfield front axles (RCV now) and an Aussie locker in the front.  I also love my Aussie locker, but it's a bit interesting driving on snow pack with an automatic front locker.  I really have zero issues with the Detroit locker in the rear, it's a little different than an open differential but nothing that you can't easily get used to.  My Aussie and Detroit are in my 4Runner now and have been going strong for a long time.  If you need to drive on snowpack then I'd suggest selectable lockers (in the front for sure).  It sounds like a rear locker would be more than adequate for your uses and a selectable locker is obviously a great way to go.  I chose automatic lockers because I wanted to avoid the little issues that seem to plague selectable lockers.  It seems that on every trip someone has one that isn't working.  With ARB it's the air lines and on my most recent trip a fuse went out on one of the Jeeps with Rubicon lockers in it.  I wouldn't run a Truetrac in the rear or a full locker in the front without upgraded axles.  I ran a single 4.70:1 t-case in my 85 and loved it, but I tend to drive slow off road and understand that it can be limiting in some situations to not have the stock 2.28:1 t-case gears.  In my 89 4Runner I have the dual ultimate, but I suspect that would be overkill for your needs.

Welcome.  :welcome:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

JBK [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2018, 05:31:42 PM »
I just looked at the Marlink.  I need to do some more research, but that looks like the direction I need to go.  Looks like it's pretty much a direct replacement.  Minus the stabalizer relocation.