Author Topic: Yard Truck - 1981 Toyota Pickup  (Read 1551 times)

Noco

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Yard Truck - 1981 Toyota Pickup
« on: Jun 23, 2018, 08:15:12 AM »
I decided to pull the 1981 Toyota 4x4 out of the back and start using it as a yard truck at my weekend property. The truck has been in the woods for 20 or so years because of some electrical and starting issues.

I began by evicting the 4 legged residents and a giving it a good pressure washing.

Moving on, I pulled the plugs and dumped a bunch of oil down each one of the spark plugs holes and let it set over night. The next morning, I pulled the plugs again and gave it a turn off the key. *Clicks* (The dash lights dim as I turn the key)

I redid all of the battery cables with solder, tinned lugs and cleaned the grounds. *Clicks*  after some googling, I found that up until 86, there was no relay and many people have great success adding a relay; I hope that's the case.

Next, I jumped behind the seat and started checking the lights and turn signals. The truck did not like that. I turn on the lights and both turn signal indicators turn on. Check the turn signals and the same thing happens.

So now, here I sit 2 hours from the beast - anxious to start learning and purchasing parts to get it running.

As mentioned, this truck will be dedicated to yard work. No hard top ever.

Now for the questions...
Where can I purchase a cap for the brake line at the master cylinder or proportion valve? If they're all bad, I'll fix the front brakes and cap the back.

Do Speedbleeds for the front calipers fit the rear drums?

Is there an easy way to bleed the clutch fluid? Do they have a common leaking component?

Is there a common cause for my lighting/turn signals? This is probably the last of my concerns. Worst case, I'll throw a cheap light bar on it.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Yard Truck - 1981 Toyota Pickup
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2018, 06:35:30 AM »
On the cap for the brake lines...  The later model drive line bolt, the ones with the 14mm head, will go right in.

I can pretty much gravity bleed the clutch slave.  Just crack it, put fresh fluid in the res and wait for good fluid to come out the bottom.  Your clutch slave may be crusty.  I would spring for a new on as they are really cheap.  There is a rubber line near your clutch slave right above the starter that can get porous and cause problems. It's cheap too.
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2018, 06:49:34 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Noco [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2018, 03:27:23 PM »
I'm here now with the truck. I installed a relay for the starter and it didn't help. I even pulled the plugs and only got a slight turn. I removed the starter and bench tested it and for my untrained eye it looks weak. I disassembled it to check the contacts, but this starter does not have the plunger like the other Toyotas I have worked on.

It looks a lot like this one.

Noco [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2018, 03:32:14 PM »
On the cap for the brake lines...  The later model drive line bolt, the ones with the 14mm head, will go right in.

I can pretty much gravity bleed the clutch slave.  Just crack it, put fresh fluid in the res and wait for good fluid to come out the bottom.  Your clutch slave may be crusty.  I would spring for a new on as they are really cheap.  There is a rubber line near your clutch slave right above the starter that can get porous and cause problems. It's cheap too.

Thank you.

I purchased a new slave and rubber hose. I'm definitely going to try and gravity bleed them.

I don't know if it's going to work or not but I got a couple parts manufacturered from Wearherhead that has worked on other Toyota brakes, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Noco [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2018, 08:38:17 PM »
I purchased and installed a new starter, fuel pump, slave, and the master cylinder for the clutch. I'm surprised how reasonable parts for this thing is. With the new starter and relay, I got it to run, but the truck only wanted to run when you rev'd it to 2500rpm. I found a couple vacuum leaks and adjusted the little screw on the passenger side and got it down to 1200rpm. The stench of bad gas is overwhelming.

It's probably gas related (it can't be helping the situation) or possibly a filthy carb, but I have to physically prime it with a shot of gas for it to run, then it'll idle in the 1200rpm range. I'll be syphoning the remaining gas out next chance I get.

The charging light is on 95% of the time, but it's not draining the battery. I've checked the wiring and connections.

I also can't get it out of 4wd drive. 4L to 4H is smooth, but I hit a wall putting it into 2H.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2018, 06:46:08 AM »
See if your alt is charging.  If it is it's probably the charge amp relay.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K