Author Topic: Steering Box Sector Shaft Loosening Itself  (Read 3541 times)

redwolf3

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 39
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
Steering Box Sector Shaft Loosening Itself
« on: Jun 16, 2018, 11:27:59 PM »
Hey guys, I've been fighting with the steering box over the last few months and hoping somewhere here might have some ideas for me.

The basic issue I'm having is that every time I go out wheeling lately I have had an issue with the Sector shaft bolt on my steering box backing itself out and then leaking / dumping all my fluid. I'm on my 3rd remanufactured box now with all 3 of them doing the same thing while wheeling.

I am capable of rebuilding the box9es) myself, but my concern it will just keep happening (and cutting my wheeling trips short) if I don't understand what is causing it.

The only thing I can currently think of is that with 35's and a stock pump / IFS box, the steering often can't handle the load. When that happens I just force the steering manually through the wheel. I've wheeled other Toyotas in the past in the same way and never had this kind of issue, but I've also never had the size tires, lift, etc. I have on this one, nor have I tried trails at the level I am taking on now.

The only thing I can think of to help is to add a Hydraulic ram so the stock box isn't working as hard, but again I'm concerned that without finding the true root cause it will still keep happening.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: Steering Box Sector Shaft Loosening Itself
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2018, 07:29:52 AM »
There is no reason gor the bolt to back out.  It isnt evem doing anything except touching the top of the secotor shaft. 
My recommendation is get a known good used box and quit freakin' with reman garbage.
hold this. . .

redwolf3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2018, 11:25:06 AM »
Any recommendations on how to identify a "known good used box", seems like that would be just as problematic as buying a new or remanufactured unit.

The first box that failed was actually a used unit that worked fine for me for well over a year, but I never did any heavy wheeling with it. I discounted this because it was a used junkyard unit of unknown origin.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2018, 12:27:07 AM »
If it's the bolt I think it is...………….  (the one on top in the middle)  they have a jam nut.

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2018, 05:52:21 AM »
I've never had this problem when I was running a stock pump and junkyard box.
Time to go wheelin!

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2018, 05:59:55 AM »
A  ... "known good used box", seems like an oxymoron?

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2018, 09:11:39 AM »
A  ... "known good used box", seems like an oxymoron?

Gnarls.

Idk why.  A car that was running and driving blows a motor or goes upside down....
Known good used box.
Again ill take a Yota box over reman anytime.
60$ and 2 hours to go through and tap it.    Moving on.
hold this. . .

redwolf3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
Steering Box Sector Shaft Loosening Itself
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2018, 06:16:43 AM »
I've never had this problem when I was running a stock pump and junkyard box.

Yep, jam nut has been there every time, torqued and adjusted properly. It’s fine right up until I take it out wheeling and then it appears to self loosen.

I’m going to try re-adjusting my current box and then seeing if there’s anything I can do to lock it down better.

redwolf3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2018, 06:20:20 AM »

Idk why.  A car that was running and driving blows a motor or goes upside down....
Known good used box.
Again ill take a Yota box over reman anytime.
60$ and 2 hours to go through and tap it.    Moving on.

First box was “known good”. Worked great for 2 years, right up until the first time I took it off roading (beyond basic suspension flex tests at least).

Since it appears I’m the only one to have ever experienced this problem, looks like I’m just going to have to analyze my setup one piece at a time and see if I can figure out why it’s backing out.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2018, 07:35:03 AM »
Make sure your spring isnt hitting the draglink or Pitman itself
hold this. . .

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2018, 07:42:57 AM »
Random thought. Did you move your steering box forward? Is the nut resting on the inner fender or core support somehow and vibrations/movement is causing the top bolt to loosen up?

redwolf3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2018, 04:27:46 PM »
Make sure your spring isnt hitting the draglink or Pitman itself

Good suggestion. I'm pretty sure I have a solid inch of clearance between the spring and the pitman arm at full compression, but I'll have to confirm.

redwolf3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2018, 04:30:05 PM »
Random thought. Did you move your steering box forward? Is the nut resting on the inner fender or core support somehow and vibrations/movement is causing the top bolt to loosen up?

It's actually an '85, so I had to fab in the box. It is moved pretty far forward, but I cleared out all the metal around it. There is a minimum of a 1/2" clearance all around the box. Several inches above the top of the steering box / sector shaft nut / bolt.

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Jun 27, 2018, 05:25:45 PM »
Put something like this:

http://www.mapcycle.com/uncategorized/04-0076-locktab-countershaft-sprocket-nut-nor.html

on the jam nut and safety wire it so the jam nut can't turn.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

SuperBeast

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Aug '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 10, 2022, 03:23:11 PM »
I just replaced my steering box with a reman from my local parts store and started having the same issue last weekend.  I never had this occur before and figured a reman was a factory box that had been rebuilt.   I only had a 17mm wrench on the trail when it happened to me so couldn't get the angle to tighten it correctly and was hoping it was just loose.   The jam nut works fine driving around normally but as soon as I try an obstacle the nut backs out and fluid drains.  If I figure it out I'll let you know, please do the same

redwolf3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 10, 2022, 03:38:20 PM »
I just replaced my steering box with a reman from my local parts store and started having the same issue last weekend.  I never had this occur before and figured a reman was a factory box that had been rebuilt.   I only had a 17mm wrench on the trail when it happened to me so couldn't get the angle to tighten it correctly and was hoping it was just loose.   The jam nut works fine driving around normally but as soon as I try an obstacle the nut backs out and fluid drains.  If I figure it out I'll let you know, please do the same

I guess I should follow-up on this thread I abandoned a while ago  :ha_ha:

On mine, the nut backed out so far I was worried about getting it adjusted properly again. It was also under warranty so I just took the box in and had them swap it. I never had this problem with the stock box either, but mine was a factory solid axle so I had to swap the box when I went over to crossover steering.

After going through 3 steering boxes and having the same issue I added ram assist and haven't had any issues since.

It would be great if you could figure out the cause in case others have a similar issue - I know I'd love to understand the root cause.

OVRAROK

• Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,499
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 10, 2022, 05:59:38 PM »
Back the nut off, put a little orange loctite on it.
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

SuperBeast

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 11, 2022, 09:45:33 AM »
Back the nut off, put a little orange loctite on it.

I'll try some locktite but am really struggling to understand why it is loosening in the first place.  I noticed that the washer with integrated O-ring was missing the rubber portion and am not sure if that was a cause of the leak which then made the bolt back out easily or the effect of continuously trying to tighten the nut to then have it come loose again.  Either way, I replaced the washer yesterday and will see if that works.  I looked for thread locker at that time but couldn't find it but will be adding some next time for sure

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Aug 11, 2022, 10:48:23 AM »
Maybe the threads on the bolt and nut are too worn to hold torque??
Time to go wheelin!

SuperBeast

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 11, 2022, 02:09:51 PM »
The threads are perfect and I'm only a couple posts away from being able to post pics so hopefully I'll be adding some soon!   I have my original steering box here and I pulled the sector shaft to get a good look at the adjusting screw that protrudes from the top of the box and how it mates to the sector shaft.  I don't see anything that would lead to the sector shaft turning the screw/bolt causing the nut to come loose.  All I can figure now is that the washer with O-ring was bad allowing fluid to pass through the threads of the nut and somehow act as a force to turn the nut????   I wont know until I get a chance to do some real driving because it hasnt happened under normal load.  I'll see if I can simulate the strain of an obstacle and see if it happens again.  Baffled