Author Topic: EMPI vs Longfields  (Read 931 times)

Engi-nerd

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
EMPI vs Longfields
« on: Jun 01, 2018, 01:30:35 AM »
The general consensus seems to be to go with the Longfield axles, however Iím curious how the Marlin supplied EMPI birfs/shafts stack up against the Longfields.

Iíve been looking around, and thereís isnít a ton of information out there regarding the EMPIs.
What is your experience?

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 646
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Re: EMPI vs Longfields
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2018, 02:01:28 AM »
Most people like original Bobby Long Longfields or RCV. I've heard if you manage to break an original Bobby Long then you have to warranty it thru TG, which I've also heard is a headache.

https://www.roundforge.com/articles/toyota-pickup-and-4runner-chromoly-birfield-axle-guide-and-comparison/

That's a cool site. Doesn't add too much technical data
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

gnob

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 395
  • Member since May '02
« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2018, 05:01:00 AM »
Bobby sold the empis for a minute.  They werent very strong.  RCV is the way to go.
hold this. . .

Engi-nerd [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2018, 09:28:05 AM »
Makes sense, the warranty for the RCV speaks for itself, compared to the EMPI warranty through MC.

- Sales Employee -

TRevv

• Hawk
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 234
  • Male Posts: 194
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2018, 04:53:44 PM »
Longfields were made by RCV to Bobby's Spec when he was alive.  When he died Bobby's wife sold the name of the company to Trail Gear who continued to make their same "Dirty Thirty" axles, just now with the Longfield name.  Old school original Longfield shafts are great, and RCV makes no question the top of the line axle on the market right now.  EMPI is drivetrain company that makes products for most national car brands including a division that works exclusively with VW.  They make a very high quality, exact machined product, with a high quality Chromoly material. IF you are looking to upgrade your shafts, but dont have the funds to drop on RCV, the EMPI shafts are a great upgrade. 
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

Gnarly4X

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3634
  • Male Posts: 2,889
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Marlin and I slid "The Sluice" Martinez Canyon
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2018, 07:41:48 PM »
Longfields were made by RCV to Bobby's Spec when he was alive.  When he died Bobby's wife sold the name of the company to Trail Gear who continued to make their same "Dirty Thirty" axles, just now with the Longfield name.  Old school original Longfield shafts are great, and RCV makes no question the top of the line axle on the market right now.  EMPI is drivetrain company that makes products for most national car brands including a division that works exclusively with VW.  They make a very high quality, exact machined product, with a high quality Chromoly material. IF you are looking to upgrade your shafts, but dont have the funds to drop on RCV, the EMPI shafts are a great upgrade. 

Very good info.... thanks TRevv!
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR