Author Topic: Body compatibility (84-88)  (Read 6625 times)

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Body compatibility (84-88)
« on: May 30, 2018, 08:05:32 PM »
As the title of this thread suggests, I have some serious body compatibility questions regarding the second Gen P/U.

Are all 2nd Gen (84-88) Xtra cabs cross compatible with my 85' Xtra cab (RN65) frame? Are all body mount locations the exact same? What about 2WD cabs? The same minus the fenders and shifter holes?

I know that the RN65 designation was given to the long bed/Xtra cab truck frames for 84/85, so my frame would accept a 84-85 single or Xtracab body and bed.

I'm just not sure on the 86-88 IFS trucks and 2WD trucks. 

A big question to ask, but I wanted to see what those who have been wrenching on these longer than I've been alive have to say. I value it!

I want a rust free cab with A/C, I don't see the point in fixing my 85' cab with pretty serious cowl rust.

Thanks all!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 08:15:58 PM by Toybrota »

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Body compatibility (84-88)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 09:25:39 AM »
I am pretty darned sure the cabs cross over.  Not sure about the extra cab to single cab thing. Depends on the back cab mounts/front most bed mounts lining up.  Sure wouldn't be tough to relocate some mounts though.  Whenever we had body swapped, which has been 1st gen 4runner to 3rd gen pickup frame and a 3rd gen extra cab to a 1st gen long bed pickup frame, the front mounts pretty much line up, the rear cab mounts by the back of your seat usually nearly line up.  A little fabrication and massaging has always been involved swapping generations of bodies and frames but it's not really tough.

Basically what I am trying to say is if you are swapping the same body style I don't think you will have much to do, if anything.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 09:31:46 AM »
I am pretty darned sure the cabs cross over.  Not sure about the extra cab to single cab thing. Depends on the back cab mounts/front most bed mounts lining up.  Sure wouldn't be tough to relocate some mounts though.  Whenever we had body swapped, which has been 1st gen 4runner to 3rd gen pickup frame and a 3rd gen extra cab to a 1st gen long bed pickup frame, the front mounts pretty much line up, the rear cab mounts by the back of your seat usually nearly line up.  A little fabrication and massaging has always been involved swapping generations of bodies and frames but it's not really tough.

Basically what I am trying to say is if you are swapping the same body style I don't think you will have much to do, if anything.
That's exactly what I wanna hear!

I definitely got my eyes on a nice cab coming soon.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 01:31:47 PM »
The cab mounts at the core support are in a little different spot i believe.  Definitely on 2wd vs 4wd
hold this. . .

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 02:44:36 PM »
Each generation's cabs should interchangeable with their same type, might need a little adjustment, as with the beds.  Swapping x-cabd and Std cabs will require moving the rear cab mounts.

Beds are also interchangeable, not just within the same generation, but at least across the first 3, they aren't a perfect fit, but they are interchangeable.

'79 2wd bed on '86, though could only get it to 1.5" cab-to-bed space.

'91 4x4 bed on '85 2wd long bed frame, had to move the front bed mount, had to use the 2wd springs to center the tire, w/the 4x4 x-cab springs the tire isn't off.

Seats between 2nd and 3rd gens are interchangeable as well, '91X-cab 60/40 seats in an '86.  The seats are wider and just barely touch the doors, but the outer mounts lined up perfectly.

A buddy had an '87 4-Runner w/'94 4-Runner front and rear seats.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 02:51:42 PM »
Each generation's cabs should interchangeable with their same type, might need a little adjustment, as with the beds.  Swapping x-cabd and Std cabs will require moving the rear cab mounts.

Beds are also interchangeable, not just within the same generation, but at least across the first 3, they aren't a perfect fit, but they are interchangeable.

'79 2wd bed on '86, though could only get it to 1.5" cab-to-bed space.

'91 4x4 bed on '85 2wd long bed frame, had to move the front bed mount, had to use the 2wd springs to center the tire, w/the 4x4 x-cab springs the tire isn't off.

Seats between 2nd and 3rd gens are interchangeable as well, '91X-cab 60/40 seats in an '86.  The seats are wider and just barely touch the doors, but the outer mounts lined up perfectly.

A buddy had an '87 4-Runner w/'94 4-Runner front and rear seats.
Awesome, I know the beds are all mostly interchangeable. A 3rd gen bed might look pretty good on my 85'.

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 04:08:20 PM »
Id look for a non fleetside style like the red one above. 4wd of course.
IMO the outside hooks and bedrail are super useful and look cool.  I miss the :pokinit: out of my '79 every time i try and secure my gear. :(

Edit: i missed that the red truck is actually using a 1st gen bed.  There are 4wd hookside beds. I think probably 84-85.  There were way more 2wd hook beds
hold this. . .

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »
The cab mounts at the core support are in a little different spot i believe.  Definitely on 2wd vs 4wd
2nd get 2wd front mounts are 33" center-to-center, and are 44.5" center-to-center of front can mounts.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »
Awesome, I know the beds are all mostly interchangeable. A 3rd gen bed might look pretty good on my 85.

Will fit, just would look funny, the 3rd gen bed is 64" wide, the import bed for 2nd gens is 62.5" wide and for 1st gens are 61.5". 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:47:15 PM by Snowtoy »

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 04:53:49 PM »
Will for just would look funny, the 3rd gen bed is 64" wide, the import bed for 2nd gens is 62.5" wide and for 1st gens are 61.5".
True, it would look funky. I've seen some pictures, doesn't look too bad.

All in all, I just want a nice decent cab and bed. I won't be rock crawling this truck like crazy, I plan to keep her nice and clean.
It's getting harder to find decent stock trucks, might as well make mine one.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2018, 05:30:31 PM »
Took me until now to realize that the FSM has all the dimensions of the frames, including the cab dimensions and body mount dimensions.

According to the FSM for 85', ALL of the body mount locations are the same distances apart for 2WD to 4WD. I am assuming this means that cabs will cross over to 2WD to 4WD. May be picking up a junker 2WD truck tomorrow.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 23, 2018, 09:44:00 AM »

here is my old 2wd 85 with a first gen 4x4 bobbed bed (does have a 3" bodylift)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~