Author Topic: Missing Trans Fluid  (Read 2895 times)

Stingray

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Missing Trans Fluid
« on: May 01, 2018, 08:48:27 AM »
It's not missing, I know where it went, It's just not where it belongs.
Recently finished truck and this was the first long day of driving, truck is
1997 4runner, V6 Auto trans, Pass Drop dual cases,

Truck has about 2k since the conversion, but yesterday was the first long day of driving, after about 3 hrs of slow trail riding I hit the highway to head home and the trans started slipping badly. I added almost a gallon of trans fluid with no sign of leakage so I knew something was up. After about 10 miles of highway driving the trans started slipping badly again, this time the underside of the truck was covered with a mix of gear oil and trans fluid.

Sounds like rear trans seal leaked/failed, and pumped trans fluid into the cases.

I'm running a Marlin adapter, and Marlin cases, I'll have it apart this week. Anything to look for or maybe suggestions on install to avoid having the same issue again?

Thanks

Stingray [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Trans Fluid
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 02:43:03 PM »
Ok, Cases are out, and I found the fluid.....  :ha_ha: :ha_ha: basically it looks like the seal walked out of the adapter in the back of the trans and was pressed all the way against the bearing on the case input shaft.

Has anyone had this situation, or have a solution?  It seems like maybe a thrust washer to go between the retainer clip in the case and the seal to keep it in the housing would avoid it backing out.

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,500
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 02:48:49 PM »
Are you running an eco seal from marlin?
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Stingray [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 03:06:27 PM »
I would say yes, the seal is clearly marked Marlin on it, and when I  bought the adapter it's the seal that came with it.

I'll be ordering another, along with output shaft seals for the case.
Just wondering if anyone has had this issue, or tips on install, A seal is a straight forward install.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:00:16 PM by Stingray »

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,500
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 03:55:58 PM »
The eco seal is kind of distinct, as it has a lip on it, so that it goes in at the right depth consistently. Compare to regular seal, that can go in at slightly different depth depending on the manufacture. It's very easy to mess this seal up, I've made the mistake of not aligning t case input shaft with seal. You end up messing up the seal. It's more common when installing cases when transmission is in vehicle.
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Stingray [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »
the issue was not the sealing surface, and it had been in the truck nearly 2k miles, it actually had backed out of the adapter in the back of the trans, when I removed the cases the seal was on the input shaft of the transfer case pressed tight to the bearing.
the sealing surface is still intact, but I'll replace it, not trusting it will stay in place

And yes its an eco seal.

Thanks for replying !! :biggthumpup:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:28:40 PM by Stingray »

Stingray [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 09:25:07 AM »
ok, Called today and ordered a new rear seal,  and a pair of T-case output seals for good measure, I have one seeping.
so now its measuring ID/ OD of the adapter and the seal. the answer is the trans should never build enough pressure to push the seal out of the seat.

and I'm not above the thought that My install could have been suspect. I've installed many seals in many applications. we will see.

I had one other option, if the output shaft on the trans moves and I didn't get the coupler on fully it could move enough to push the seal out of the seat. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:21:48 PM by Stingray »

cporche

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 12:07:53 PM »
check the vent on the top of the transmission, its possible it is full of mud causing the trans to "build pressure". the fluid in the sump aswell as the rest of the trans is always at atmospheric pressure unless when the trans heats up the pressure has no where to go because the vent is plugged.

Stingray [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 09:39:53 PM »
check the vent on the top of the transmission, its possible it is full of mud causing the trans to "build pressure". the fluid in the sump aswell as the rest of the trans is always at atmospheric pressure unless when the trans heats up the pressure has no where to go because the vent is plugged.

I'll be reassembling it this weekend, I'll check the vent, that was something I didn't think about.

Thanks for the advice!!

Stingray [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »
This morning I started re assembly, the trans breather is in a VERY inconvenient location, But with a piece of rubber hose sealed to the dipstick when I blow air into it I can hear and feel the vent working, and it builds NO pressure, also no I didn't use the compressor, just my breath, it's very clear, also It looks like not so much a hose as it's a hard line with a check valve on it much like a factory rear end breather. tight to the bellhousing at about the 12 O'clock position on the top of the trans.

SO WE WILL SEE.
Thanks for the replies.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 08:51:33 PM »
Is the seal in an area where you could ping/stake the surrounding area?
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Stingray [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 10:26:36 PM »
Not really, Marlins Eco-Seal has a lip on it. it's back together now, and I've driven it about 40 miles, If it happens again I have all the dimensions and will have a thrust washer/spacer made to fill the void between the seal and the retaining clip for the transfer case bearing