Author Topic: CBeers' 1985 4Runner  (Read 30918 times)

cbeers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4377
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: CBeers' 1985 4Runner
« Reply #90 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:29:31 PM »
Then one day I didn't really have time to do anything so I did some flex testing.

Here come a bunch of shots.  please let me know if you see something off.  Like Chris, the steering box placement you speak of...how do you see it now?  hopefully better  :thumbs:

One thing I am happy about is how my rear springs act with the cut retainer.  I asked you guys about that but.....  *crickets*

I think all looks OK?

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:33:46 PM »
 :usa:

as you can see it's not quite flat on the spring  but pretty close. I still think if anything is going to hit it's that spring retainer....

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:00:31 AM »
This last weekend my plans fell through and gave me a window of time/opportunity to get into the garage.  I had one goal SLIDERS.

First thing I did was to mock up the passenger side and see where on the frame the legs would hit and therefore where I needed to grind clean for welding.  OVRAROK gave me a good tip to carve out the pinch weld for a bit of extra clearance  :phone:

I also wanted to use frame plates vs. welding the legs directly to the frame.  So Saturday night I got the gang together, cutter, grinder and flapper to make some.  Slow going but got them done on Sunday morning.

Then more mockup time.  I find this to be a long process, even for sliders.  I probably overthink things but in the name of trying for accuracy.

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:07:16 AM »
A bit of angle....not sure what others have done so I just took a stab at it and made both sides match  :dunno:

Checked for level, not bad.

Then Dr. ImmortalYota80 swung by for the final burn.  I can't thank you enough!   :beerchug:

Aaand finally, my sliders are on the rig!  I still need to clean them up and slather with rattle can but that is the fun stuff really.  Very happy about this!

I only have shock hoops to frame, rear shock tabs to axle and a front steering stabalizer to weld yet.....getting really close !!!
My front bumper is already being built and should arrive in a couple of weeks or so...then rear bumper gets ordered.....new wheels and tires and it's ON.

This might take me months though !!!
 :outtahere:

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:32:32 AM »
Morning guys 

Not much in the way of updates lately, no shock there.  I still haven't even cleaned up the sliders to apply paint.  However, i did tinker around a bit when time allowed.

I've always hated that the PO cut out the tunnel so big to accommodate the previous 3" BL.  I was left with this gaping air tunnel for all of the years of grease and grime below to enter the cabin.  no good.

First step was to create a template from paper.  This whole project would probably get done in about an hour by you guys, but it's me  :wave:

Once that was done i cut out a sheet of aluminum i had around.  IN the end, not the best choice, i would use the sheet metal i had originally purchased for this project.  But i made lemonade I guess.  It worked good enough for me.

Mock up with the factory shift plate/boots.

Not shown are the many many revisions to allow more clearance, bending of the plate etc.  I even cut relief cuts to allow the plate to wrap the tunnel a bit.  nothing fancy but a bit cleaner final look, even though nobody will see it.

CB

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #95 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:40:07 AM »
Like you, I am very frustrated by hot air and outside material entering the cab. I have a huge hole in mine from the fact of it being a 2wd auto and now having a triple stick. I'll have my work cut out for me on fixing that.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Feb 26, 2019, 08:42:11 AM »
Once I got it to where it was good enough, i quickly realized that the screws were now too short.  I didn't have anything on hand and the day was getting late so i moved on to putting sound deadening in the rear cargo area.  Not Dynamat this time but hopefully good enough for the rear.  I am still not done, I kept a couple of sheets for more later but for now, this helps.

Got some longer screws finally and finished up the passenger side.

Then the driver's side.  I was so happy to finally have seats and carpet back in place (after months)   :driving:

I jumped into the driver's seat to pretend I was driving and CLUNK....THUD.....CLUNK.....

it seems when I clearanced the steering shaft flange I did it at the wrong angle and didn't do a good enough job.  Great.  I was bummed and went inside for the night.  Weekend was over anyway but kind of deflating.  That would have to be for another day and I was hoping I could get a grinder on the flange without pulling the booster and master again.....

I still need to source a shorter knob for the front box as it hits my transmission shifter.  I also have to figure out a center console solution, i want my storage back.

CB

« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2019, 08:50:59 AM by cbeers »

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26762
  • Male Posts: 3,514
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Feb 26, 2019, 09:45:10 AM »
What brand of seats are those?
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Feb 26, 2019, 10:14:10 AM »
 :gap:

cheap crap ones from ebay.  When I first got the truck I thought it didn't need much other than to replace the thrashed (bad) seats.  two kids under 2 meant $ was tight so I cheaped out.

They will get replaced eventually but for now will hold me in place.  They literally sweated out some sort of oily funk the first time they got warm in the summer sun and permanently stained them like salt flats. 

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Feb 26, 2019, 12:54:34 PM »
Here is my steering shaft done.  I had my brother and his wife in town for the weekend so time was especially scarce.  I was able to get my mini air grinder onto the flange by rotating it to just the right spot.  Rotate, repeat.  it actually went really fast for once.  It only took as long as it did because I went slow, removing only what was necessary.

Sleeved to lengthen (and now the splash guard is too tight so I need to mess with that), factory glue gone, red RTV in its place.  Thinking it might help avoid any rattle? Maybe?

Either way, I once again have steering. Sort of.  No pump or lines yet.  :driving:

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Mar 17, 2019, 02:18:26 PM »
Back to it....

I went out one day to try and install the PS reservoir and lines.  I had one new hose that I had ordered a while back after I noticed mine was old/bad. 

Then it was on to the high pressure line.  I forgot to take pics of the system in tact before I took it apart, not great but not the end of the world with only a few parts. After fiddling around a bit, I soon realized that my factory high pressure line was not going to fit with the new box.  At all.  That killed what little time I had that day but at least I knew I had to order some parts....but which ones?  what line?  off to the intrawebs for learning.

I ended up ordering two lines from Gates that offered two versions of the hard line to the box.  Not knowing what line I would need I figured one of them had to work.  Right?

Wrong.  Of course.  I messed around with both of them one night, trying regular and backwards configuration but no go.  Not even close.  By then I was getting tired of things not working and decided to just backwoods bend one line like I did my rear brakes   :gap:

Good enough for me, it fit physically even if not as nice looking as it once was.  It was still a new line which was the main goal.

I also replaced both low pressure hoses but could not find metric ID hose anywhere that was the right fit. I might look into it more someday but for now this will get me going.  At least they are new and not covered in gunk.

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Mar 17, 2019, 02:29:26 PM »
We finally had some warm weather so I took advantage of it by prepping my frame for paint.  I also still had to paint the top side of the sliders and touch up under the body for places i had missed earlier.  More clean up/prep, which I am absolutely sick of but I see the light at the end of the tunnel so i keep at it.

I was ordering some supplies from Summit and decided to get all professional with some paper for painting   :biggthumpup:

It was tedious taping everything up but worth it to be able to shoot paint without worry.  Next day I got home from the kids' sports and shot paint.  Like everything it's not perfect but good enough for me.  It's really fun to see it all kind of coming together lately.  More finish work than tear down/prep which is nice. 

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Mar 17, 2019, 02:46:51 PM »
Next up was the radiator.  Bestgen has had it in my head that it wasn't going to fit for a while now but I am happy to say it did.  Perfectly actually.  I was really happy about that as at first it wasn't looking good.  I mocked it all up to check for any issues but had zero.  I will admit clearance is tight in a couple of places but fingers crossed all is good.

I had one of those moments where I spent about 30 minutes looking for one of the lower shroud retainer clips but eventually found it.  I label and bag everything but that little sucker was out loose.
I had another one of "those" moments trying to get the lower shroud bolt in above the box.  I don't know why but sometimes things like that turn into mountains.

I got everything hooked back up and tight and even replaced the lower hose since I guess I bought one a while back.  Like Christmas in March.

After that was in I put the air box/intake back together.  This pretty much gives me a complete engine bay again!  Still a few things to deal with but it feels good to see it in a more complete state  :cool:

That's about it for updates.  I think next up will finally be the shock hoops for the front and tabs/brackets for the rear.  I also need to get a new battery since mine has been run down too many times over the years and is now flatlined.

CB

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Mar 17, 2019, 02:56:17 PM »
Sounds like it will be ready for MCR... :thumbs:

Crawlerbrennan2

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Member since Mar '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #104 on: Mar 17, 2019, 11:45:17 PM »
Sorry to hear you got took by the PO

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Mar 18, 2019, 06:05:42 AM »
Sounds like it will be ready for MCR... :thumbs:

I sure am tryin' !!!
my front bumper arrives in a week or so. i got an Addicted off road front.
going to try and get innovations rear with the swingouts but so far i can't get them to reply.
that's icing on the cake. right now i just want to DRIVE it again!

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Mar 18, 2019, 06:07:03 AM »
Sorry to hear you got took by the PO

you lose your account Brennan?  kind of funny to see mc employees pad their post count!

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Apr 10, 2019, 09:05:14 PM »
I figure it's about time for my monthly update   :biggthumpup:

We've had a lot of rain here lately and that means postponed kids' sports, which meant some time in the garage!

First thing on my list was the shock hoops and rear brackets.  Before I could even begin that though, I realized that the hoops wanted to be placed right where a hole in the frame plate was.  Of course.  So that got welded up in phases.  Weld, grind, sand, repeat until good (I kept going another round after this pic).

THEN, I was able to actually start mocking up the hoops and brackets.  Neither is a place and tack kind of deal.  I thought for sure the hoops would be but nope.  In the end it was worth the time spent grinding, checking, grinding, checking.....I'm so tired of grinding.  I shoved a spacer of paper folded up on top to hopefully keep them off of the body....we'll see if that actually works. 

Once I finally had them where I thought was good, I tacked them in place for Dr. ImmortalYota80 to wrap up some other time and that was pretty much my weekend of garage time.  Still, I was happy to see them finally going on after years of storage.

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: Apr 10, 2019, 09:26:42 PM »
The next weekend or so my bumper finally arrived!  I was so happy to finally be putting a solid bumper on this thing.  When I bought this rig the PO used some angle iron to shove the stock bumper up for the 3" body lift.  Then there was a big brush guard thing on it.  All of it had to go.  I had my eye for years on the All Pro but once they changed I couldn't do it.

I went with the Addicted Offroad bumper and I am very happy with it.  They made it custom fit for my 1" body lift and added tabs for their little turn signals.  I did not want a stinger but it did come with two tabs for lights. The bumper came well enough prepared for use but I got kind of funny about the details and started prepping it before I could paint it.  I also figured that since this was the front bumper it was going to see more abuse than the rest of the truck.

Hammer and chisel to get the bbs off.  Wire wheel and wire brush for the welds.  Air sanders for the ends.  I am really liking this little tiny belt sander I got recently.  It has a section at the end where there is no backing and it allows you to put it on a rounded surface pretty nicely.  Trouble is, it's tiny so it takes a while....a long while.  But the ends of the bumper came out good I think and it was especially useful getting into tight places.  Then I hand sanded the entire thing to get that nice dull finish for painting.

I first shot it in etching primer.  Sanded. 
Tack coat of black.
75% full coat, full coat, full coat. 
Dry overnight.

Sand, full coat, full coat call it good.  Let it be for at least a week (inside of course)

Oh...and it's me...so this is all rattle can    :cool:

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Apr 10, 2019, 09:38:54 PM »
Next thing I knew the Dr. was in town so I had to hustle up on fitting the rear tabs.  No big deal right?  Weeelllll... :hammerhead:

They didn't fit as I wanted due to the fact that i was wanting to turn them towards the upper mount. These were really made to be more vertical I think.  I started my favorite pastime of grinding....and grinding...you know....

Similar to my bracing on the front hoops, I had high hopes of the master being able to fill in where my fabbing came up short.  They were pretty decent but not professional or even close. I also found out that the 10" rear shocks I ordered were too short soooo I had to order more 12s.  I honestly need a "13" but can't seem to find one yet.  I already have an idea on a mod down the road to help on this subject.

Didn't matter, another big check box was getting checked, shocks would be able to go on finally!

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Apr 10, 2019, 09:46:25 PM »
After it got welded  I literally closed the rollup door and went inside for dinner.  I always clean up but this time I was over it.

Next weekend I cleaned up my messy from use garage and then started in on cleaning up all of the welding so I could paint.  You know what that means.....yep, grinding.  The only good from all of this is when i visit the dentist I think about working on my rig.  it's nearly an identical sound.

Once I got things where I was happy I shot my usual rattle can and called it good.  Next day I pulled the tape off and was happy to see such a complete state of my 4runner after all of this time.  I can't wait to start wheeling it.

CB

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Apr 11, 2019, 07:11:15 AM »
Looking good chris... :beerchug:

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Apr 11, 2019, 11:36:47 AM »
thanks boss   :D
I'm trying really hard to get this last push done so i can drive the dang thing again!
almost there....

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2019, 04:31:09 PM »
What's up guys  :usa:

been a hectic few weeks for time in the garage.  Our earlier rainouts are now nearly every day games, both kids, birthdays, school plays, music performance and on and on......nutso but all good stuff.

Where I could I poked around and did SOMETHING even if only to clean up shop, secure a loose line and check some hardware.  That brings up a good point.  I am planning on doing a full boat "nut and bolt" day where I will be checking each and every piece of hardware that I can touch.  I have nearly had the entire vehicle pulled apart at some point and I am no mechanic.  I also forget stuff.....not good.  I take lots of pics though!

Anyway, pics and progress right?

I finally got around to fitting up the shocks.  Found out my bolts for the back were too short so off to the hardware store I went.  Didn't get it right the first time of course so after my second trip I was good.  Typical.  I ended up going SS, thinking they might last longer?  Good or bad idea?  I found it to be a pain to get them bolted up.  I am weak  :slap:

One day I was cleaning up my workbench and I stumbled on a metal shield thing that had some blue tape marked brake.  OK.  I took it over to the frame and sure enough it lined up....what is the purpose?  Rocks?  Heat?  It was shabby like everything else so I started in on cleaning it up so I could paint it.  Wire wheel did most of it then final with some hand brushes and a quick sanding to reduce the wheel marks.  Not great but good enough.

weekend was done.

CB

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2019, 04:45:33 PM »
The following weekend(s) were blacked out for garage time, nothing happened other than me looking at it thinking about what else.

Last weekend I started filling up fluids.  Radiator with Toyota red.  Knuckles got grease into the square bolt spot.  Front diff got fluid to break in gears with.  Power steering.  While I was doing that I decided to drain the motor oil.  It had been sitting for so long, seemed like a decent idea.  I also got rid of brand xyz filter and put a Toyota filter on.  Nice that it came with the drain gasket. 

I then put the frame apron thing back on.  It looks clunky to me, is it factory?  I might make my own someday, but for now zipties are fine  :gap:

I routed my extended diff breather from MC and that was about the end of my free time. 

I am going to make a test pipe for my exhaust situation which will allow me to start putting around to break in gears and such.  Then legit exhaust, then smog man and then  :driving:

Once I buy a replacement battery.

QUESTIONS I need help on :

1) for the rear axle, my 1985 cable is too short.  What is the best way to solve this?  I have seen fabbed up extensions at the wheels and also some brackets for the frame but anyone have a "here, buy this/these and do this" solution for me?

2) the upgraded master cylinder, how to convert from my 1985 cap-low fluid sensor to the newer on-cylinder sensor?  Anyone have a OEM part number/source?

3) Battery - I had the autozone duralast basic thing in it before but want to do a decent battery now.  I also want to use the factory battery mount/bracket, is this possible?  If yes, anyone have part number for me?

Thanks in advance for your help guys  :beerchug:

CB

keycw

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 85
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Mar '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2019, 06:07:16 AM »
try this link for battery tray parts

https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=482272&ukey_make=1060&ukey_model=15426&modelYear=1987&ukey_category=21641&ukey_driveLine=6703&ukey_trimLevel=18419

I use an odyssey battery.  they are kind of pricey but I think they are miles better than pretty much anything else on the market. 
06 Tacoma prerunner DD

87 runner 22re 5sp restomoding

1980 short bed.  chevy 63, RUF, power steering/hysteer, ballin' camper topper

cbeers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2019, 06:19:59 AM »
hey keycw,
let me rephrase that. i have all new oem battery tray and brackets. my question is if an odyssey/optima/etc fits in the oem setup. sounds like yes. any chance you have the model # of battery? parts store said i needed to give them a model number. their system just shows "adj to fit" for everything other than a basic battery.

thanks!
CB

keycw

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 85
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Mar '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2019, 06:33:10 AM »
hey keycw,
let me rephrase that. i have all new oem battery tray and brackets. my question is if an odyssey/optima/etc fits in the oem setup. sounds like yes. any chance you have the model # of battery? parts store said i needed to give them a model number. their system just shows "adj to fit" for everything other than a basic battery.

thanks!
CB

looks like the number on top of my battery is 25-PC1400  and the battery is not a perfect fit, but very close.  all i did to ensure that it didnt move on my was i cut a small square of vibration rubber and put it between the battery and the washer bottle.  it might not be needed but i didnt wanna risk it walking on me. 

06 Tacoma prerunner DD

87 runner 22re 5sp restomoding

1980 short bed.  chevy 63, RUF, power steering/hysteer, ballin' camper topper

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3754
  • Male Posts: 2,853
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2019, 06:38:41 AM »
I got this one from Batteries + Bulbs
Time to go wheelin!

joeyf

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 848
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »
95 and up 4runners are almost 3" wider than the 86-95 pickups/4runners. Try seeing if the cable will work.

Deka is a good brand battery they are made by Easy Penn who is a US manufacturer
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 01:07:52 PM by joeyf »