Author Topic: Lil blue rebuild  (Read 2795 times)

yota_2128

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Jan '13
  • 82 Longbed
    • View Profile
Lil blue rebuild
« on: Apr 09, 2018, 08:29:31 AM »
I currently have a first gen with the current specs:
98 3rz out of a 2wd 4runner
W56b with dual cases, stock gearing
Yota ifs width front and rear with elockers (4.30s)
Bobbed short bed (took 10in out)
315/75r16 tires (~35s)
4in all pro springs in the rear and rears up front
Bent front frame
Crushed inner fender, from previous owner crashing it.
A recently bent front axle housing

I also recently bought the old frame that was underneath the punkin truck Justin from all pro built. The frame is set up with an all pro 3link kit and a tube bed. The tube bed is getting cut off and given to my brother (tan truck) the frame also came with a pretty sweet front bumper.

I also recently bought a 79 running and driving truck for the cab. It has a good windshield, sunroof and most importantly a straight cab. It does however have the standard first gen floorboard rust that I'm going to have to deal with.

The plan is to build up a diamond axle housing with yota outers and 8in elocker center section that's +6 width. I'll be using sa hubs to help improve my steering. Once this is built I'll starting putting it under punkins old frame using king? 2in body 12in travel coilovers and Johnny joints on all the links. Once the front suspension is done, lil blue will be torn apart and the 3rz, tranny, tcases and rear axle will all my transferred over. In the mean time while I save up for the link parts I'll be cleaning up the red cab and repainting it the same color as the blue truck and cleaning up the floors.
I'll post pictures when I get home later today :welcome: :beerchug:

yota_2128 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '13
  • 82 Longbed
    • View Profile
Re: Lil blue rebuild
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2018, 08:39:00 AM »
As you can see the frame is bent on the passenger side right behind the front spring hanger. I think it's gonna be easier just to go through with the new straight frame that's already set up for a 3 link. The frame in the pictures is after I spent 3+ hours with a wire wheel cleaning up the rust and crust from the fire. The tan truck is my brothers which will be getting the tube bed off the frame. I'll be using my bobbed bed and red cab.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2018, 08:56:44 AM »
Should be killer. I like your plans. After my own heart with those Diamonds full of toyota oem lockers.  :beerchug:

yota_2128 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '13
  • 82 Longbed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2018, 10:36:01 AM »
Should be killer. I like your plans. After my own heart with those Diamonds full of toyota oem lockers.  :beerchug:
I'm pretty excited for it. This will be my first frame up build. I've heard nothing but good things about the diamonds. I was a committed factory yota housing guy till I accidentally jumped it and bent my fully trussed housing

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2018, 05:15:47 PM »
 :popcorn:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

yota_2128 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '13
  • 82 Longbed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2018, 02:44:28 PM »
Small update, been working on parting out the red truck. Got it completely torn apart and have sold enough parts to where I only have $50 into the cab. Not too bad. Finally had some time to make forward progress on the rig. Started by chipping away the factory noise barrier. Only got through the passenger side before my hands gave out. Rust is a little worse than I was expecting. Was hoping it stayed to the floor and not up the kicker panel or firewall but I guess I'm not that lucky. Hopefully I'll have time to get the passenger side floor done on Sunday but we'll see. Also put the cab on the frame to see how much of the inner fender I'll have to cut, looks like I'm gonna be losing some weight on there for sure.

For finishing the floors I was thinking about doing por-15. Stuffs expensive but I've heard alot of good reviews, and I don't these floors to rust out again in a few years so I might as well do it right now while the cabs off.

Also looked at the rest of the cab and it looks like one of the previous owners had a thing for self tappers. So it looks like I'm gonna have a full day of spot welding and grinding to fill all of those up

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,557
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2018, 02:57:28 PM »
MMMMMMM - Rust repair.
If you see it, its for sale.

yota_2128 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '13
  • 82 Longbed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2018, 02:58:53 PM »
Had some time today to do some work. Got the inner fenders cut to clear the shock hoops. Finally got them to clear after cutting what seemed like half the inner fender out.

yota_2128 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '13
  • 82 Longbed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2018, 05:25:18 PM »
Been busy lately fixing the blue truck for a summer of wheeling. Blew a power steering pump last time I was out, replaced it with a psc pump with a larger cooler to I don't blow another. Found that BOTH my front leafs had a broken secondary spring causing bad axle wrap. Also decided to add the bottom two springs from my all pro leafs to the rear as they came to level the truck out. Also finally got some rear shocks. Ended up with 12in travel bilsteins. Should make it ride better.

And the relevant part so the front axle. The diamond housing came and I got it under the truck with the diff installed. Sh*tty part is that the rcv shafts didn't come in time so my friend in California is gonna install them for me while the trucks out there waiting for the Rubicon. For the mean time I assembled the axle without the shafts to move it around. The housing is pure beef compared to the faxotey housing. Can't wait to beat on it some.

The last planned event I have for the truck is early September so sometime after that the rebuild begins

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2018, 09:43:27 PM »
How wide is the housing? It looks good! Are you still running wheel spacers? Thanks :beerchug:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

yota_2128 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '13
  • 82 Longbed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2018, 09:49:50 PM »
How wide is the housing? It looks good! Are you still running wheel spacers? Thanks :beerchug:
Wms to wms is 64.25" no spacers in the front. I'm running a factory ifs housing in the rear with 2in spacers to get close to the front. I believe it's around 63.25" wms to wms with the spacers