Author Topic: Spartan lockers Front & Rear for daily driver  (Read 10335 times)

Osage1978

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 14
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Jan '18
  • Champagne taste on a beer budget
    • View Profile
Spartan lockers Front & Rear for daily driver
« on: Feb 20, 2018, 02:36:43 PM »
So I've bought 2 Spartan lockers for my little 82 daily driver, they're safely at Zuk's waiting on me to ship him my 3rd members

My question is for you guys running these on the street at times am I going to regret this decision and how much is it going to effect my driving when not off-road
John 5:24

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Spartan lockers Front & Rear for daily driver
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2018, 04:03:17 PM »
bestgen doesn’t like his for sure. I would highly recommend my Detroit for a rear application. It has the classic “bang” on occasion but is quiet most of the time. In the front with hubs out you’ll never feel any difference with a locker.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:56:56 PM »
My rig's rear 3rd chewed up and spit out a Lockrite auto locker, so I went to a welded rear but, that ate up too much tire tread so I bought Tacoma E lockers and fit them to my 85 front & 87 rear axles.
There is nothing like selectable traction devices and Taco lockers are affordable but, limited to 4:88 gear ratios so I've been informed.
I am really happy with my Taco lockers and how they actually work.
fasterspider, now older and slower.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3712
  • Male Posts: 2,846
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2018, 05:20:28 AM »
The Grizzly is also a good option for the street.
Time to go wheelin!

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2018, 05:37:40 AM »
Depending how you drive will be a key factor here. A friend has a taco with a Spartan in the rear. When I drive it I have to be easy on accelerating while turning on the street or I get a clunk. If you know what it's going to do and can drive around it you'll be fine.

I have a true Trac in my tow rig and LOVE IT! yes it was expensive and yes I felt like a fool paying for it. Once I drove the thing around it's like it's not even there until I need it. Perfection in the world of street driven "locking" rear diff.

Taco e locker is cool to, I have one and a housing I modified for it but haven't put to use yet.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2018, 06:22:39 AM »
The Grizzly is also a good option for the street.

I still need to meet up with Chris and go for a ride in Myles 4Runner with a Grizzly to compare to my Detroit.  I thought Chris indicated that the Grizzly makes the same noises as the lunchbox lockers that most find annoying on the street.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3712
  • Male Posts: 2,846
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2018, 06:24:59 AM »
I have one in the Jeep and I haven't noticed any quirky handling.
Time to go wheelin!

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:27:18 AM »
I still need to meet up with Chris and go for a ride in Myles 4Runner with a Grizzly to compare to my Detroit.  I thought Chris indicated that the Grizzly makes the same noises as the lunchbox lockers that most find annoying on the street.
Not so far. Only had two pops from Myles's grizzly. 30 mile on it at this point.
My Spartan pops and cluncks all the time. Like all the time.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:55:36 AM »
I used to run lockrites and the Detroit ez-locker in the rear.  They make a lot of noise, more bucking on certain kinds of pavement in the summer.  Whenever you go to the tire shop they tell you your rear end is broken  :disturbed:. Where your at with your throttle in a turn has a lot to do with how much noise they make.  It's nothing you can't get used to.  The full Detroit we ran in my wife's 4runner was way smoother for sure.  We have aussies in front ends now and I think they are the smoothest of the lunch box lockers by far.

I run welded and spools in the rear now so I'm probably not the one to consult on street manners :).
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2018, 02:22:14 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Osage1978 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2018, 03:58:05 PM »
I went with the Spartan lockers because of the price & Zuk said he prefers them over other lunchbox lockers, I'm hoping to maybe run one up front until I change gears down the road and maybe then go to a selectable type. I'm running 31x10.5 super swampers. If the rear holds up when I eventually get to 35's I may go with something else. This is my first time putting lockers in a vehicle for myself, having driven others off road I'm excited to see the difference it makes vs my current open diffs

Thank you men for your information, it's greatly appreciated

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2018, 04:06:52 PM »
I went with the Spartan lockers because of the price & Zuk said he prefers them over other lunchbox lockers, I'm hoping to maybe run one up front until I change gears down the road and maybe then go to a selectable type. I'm running 31x10.5 super swampers. If the rear holds up when I eventually get to 35's I may go with something else. This is my first time putting lockers in a vehicle for myself, having driven others off road I'm excited to see the difference it makes vs my current open diffs

The difference with lockers is significant, even one in the rear makes a huge difference.  I think I would go with a Detroit rear over lunchbox lockers front and rear. Just don’t want to hear that clicking noise...

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2018, 12:44:01 AM »
Depending how you drive will be a key factor here. A friend has a taco with a Spartan in the rear. When I drive it I have to be easy on accelerating while turning on the street or I get a clunk. If you know what it's going to do and can drive around it you'll be fine.

I have a true Trac in my tow rig and LOVE IT! yes it was expensive and yes I felt like a fool paying for it. Once I drove the thing around it's like it's not even there until I need it. Perfection in the world of street driven "locking" rear diff.

Taco e locker is cool to, I have one and a housing I modified for it but haven't put to use yet.
I loved my taco e locker. I had the full housing which is 3 inches wider over all I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2018, 09:53:53 AM »
I loved my taco e locker. I had the full housing which is 3 inches wider over all I believe

My buddy who has been helping me build my rig for the past almost three years said the Tacoma axle housing was prone to twisting under hardcore crawling so I stayed with the 87 3" wider rear axle housing I paid too much for in my 85 Xtra-Cab when I put the Taco locker in.

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Spartan lockers Front & Rear for daily driver
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2018, 10:17:08 AM »
My buddy who has been helping me build my rig for the past almost three years said the Tacoma axle housing was prone to twisting under hardcore crawling so I stayed with the 87 3" wider rear axle housing I paid too much for in my 85 Xtra-Cab when I put the Taco locker in.
:pokinit:, should of told me you needed the 87 housing. I had one laying around that I just wanted out of my garage

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2018, 10:57:09 AM »
:pokinit:, should of told me you needed the 87 housing. I had one laying around that I just wanted out of my garage

Hind sight is always 20/20. 😉

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2018, 10:57:38 AM »
Hind sight is always 20/20.
This is true

Osage1978 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2018, 07:10:00 AM »
So this truck will be daily driven around 6-7 miles max & the wheeling it does will be general off road and mild. Mud, dirt trails and very mild rock while hauling firewood and hunting dogs . I've bought the Spartans so I'll probably go ahead with them and upgrade as my skills & truck progress. I'm only running stock suspension ( it's supposed to have a 3" lift by a previous owner but I can't tell it ) and 31x10.5 super swampers, stock 4:10 gears I'd like to get it taller and eventually run 35's & 5:29's . I took a job locally for 1/2 the pay to be closer to the family so buying different lockers is pretty much a no go for the moment.

Thank you to everyone who has chimed in, really appreciate everyone's comments

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2018, 09:07:13 AM »
It sounds like you would have been better putting all of your funds towards a single longer for the rear rather than splitting it for two less expensive lockers.  It sounds like you don't really need two lockers for the wheeling that you plan to do and all automatic lockers have some downsides when they are not needed.

I hope you're happy with the results.

Have you upgraded the front axles?  If not, don't put a locker in there unless you want broken axles...

Osage1978 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2018, 11:04:20 AM »
No I haven't upgraded it unfortunately, but like the 200 other things on my list I really want to lol

You're correct about what I should have done, But it's the live & learn thing.

I had driven a local Cherokee before & after Spartan lockers f&r and my buddy loved his & the difference was unreal so I jumped & ordered up 2 .

It was like the first time a teenager see's boobs all I could think about was getting my hands on some for myself.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2018, 11:23:19 AM by Osage1978 »

Osage1978 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2018, 11:17:22 AM »
My story is essential this: I was 16, my sister's boyfriend had a bad a** 83 Toyota pickup with 33's . He took it anywhere & everywhere he wanted, hauled way more in it that he should have been able to. It was the coolest thing I'd ever seen as a kid & something of a local legend around here from the things he did in such a tiny truck. Grew up reading 4x4 mags, owned a jeep or two, saw the Marlin Crawler truck in magazines which kept me wanting a Toyota

Turn the page, I'm 40 now. Bought the nicest first gen I could find locally and am basically learning as I go, making plenty of mistakes along the way unfortunately

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2018, 12:53:33 PM »
Skip the front locker for now. You’ll regret it if you break an axle and didn’t  need the locker.

Osage1978 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '18
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2018, 02:24:04 PM »
I appreciate the advice, maybe I'll look into some longfields & tackle the front axle all at once. Summers coming quick here and I'll be busy cutting once I start I can't afford to have the truck down

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2018, 02:29:08 PM »
30 spline RCV axles and hub gears.

Osage1978 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '18
    • View Profile

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2018, 03:29:19 PM »
Stock axles will be fine as long as you dont go treating it like a traxtor and snatching every thing you see.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Osage1978 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '18
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2018, 04:23:38 PM »
I just have to buy what I can when I can. I've got a wish list that's adding up quickly and I'll have to either win the lottery or take a second job at the least to ever finish it

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2018, 03:30:48 PM »
Just don't sit and spin in anything but mud or snow or turn around in the v-notch.  I also helps to take the birfs apart, clean them and pack them with nice fresh grease. You'll be OK with 31s as long as you don't dumbass it  :driving:.  A front locker is a doubles edged thing, you can do more easier so you can hack on it less, but you can break a lot easier if you push it, so develop a methodical driving style. I did pretty good with a front locker on IFS and 33s for years until I upgraded my t-case gearing and started doing competitions.  Then we broke CVs like glass :).
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2018, 03:31:17 PM »
My rig's rear 3rd chewed up and spit out a Lockrite auto locker, so I went to a welded rear but, that ate up too much tire tread so I bought Tacoma E lockers and fit them to my 85 front & 87 rear axles.
There is nothing like selectable traction devices and Taco lockers are affordable but, limited to 4:88 gear ratios so I've been informed.
I am really happy with my Taco lockers and how they actually work.

Selectable is always the best way to go for a rig that is street and trail. Im also using tacoma E-lockers, but with 5.29 gears.  I put them front and rear.

Technically the Spartan is a lunchbox locker.  Lunchbox just refers to a non- full carrier replacement style locker (becuase theyre small enough to fit in your luchbox unlike a full carrier replacement locker).  You should be fine with a Spartan only running 31's, once you get up into the 35 inch range you will be pushing the limits of a Spartan.  A Spartan in the front is fine.  It wont cause any difference unless your hubs are locked in.  Once your hubs are locked in it will be hard to turn if your on the throttle.  Having one in the rear you will just have to learn to take turns off the throttle to let it ratchet, otherwise you will burn through tires.
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

Osage1978 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '18
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2018, 08:42:30 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll remember to take it easy but I have definitely been known to "dumbass" it at times so I should probably look to upgrade axles before I go with bigger tires & lower t-case gears which are a future plan for sure.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll remember to take it easy but I have definitely been known to "dumbass" it at times so I should probably look to upgrade axles before I go with bigger tires & lower t-case gears which are a future plan for sure.

Larger tires will obviously increase the risk, but you're more likely to break axles with your stock transfer case gears.