Author Topic: Two more Marlin shifter knobs  (Read 4827 times)

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Two more Marlin shifter knobs
« on: Feb 20, 2018, 01:04:59 PM »
I only had one of Marlin's shifter knobs for more than a year and dealt with the Fail Gear knobs that came with their twin sticks but, no more.

fasterspider, now older and slower.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: Two more Marlin shifter knobs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2018, 03:51:18 PM »
That's blasphemy putting Marlin equipment on a TG product. You had any problems with that twin-stick, I know three people that broke their's, one on the first trip!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2018, 04:31:45 PM »
That's blasphemy putting Marlin equipment on a TG product. You had any problems with that twin-stick, I know three people that broke their's, one on the first trip!!
If Marlin still sold twin sticks, that is what I would have bought and my set up hasn't let me down yet but, I shift T case gears gently. 🤔

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:46:20 PM »
Still a few good options out there for twin sticks, depending on if davez are in stock.  Coulda swore sky was supposed to be making them too
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:17:49 PM »
Still a few good options out there for twin sticks, depending on if davez are in stock.  Coulda swore sky was supposed to be making them too
I'm not having a problem with the Trail Gear twin sticks and if I ever do, I'll look for an alternative set up.
At the time I bought my twin sticks, Trail Gear was all there was. 🤔

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2018, 05:14:50 AM »
I have those same twins. Been running them for about 10 years. 1st time out the rollpin broke. I disassembled and put new rollpin in in both sides. ZERO issues since. Not trying to stand up for TG, but that particular product once ever so slightly repaired is a good one.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2018, 05:18:23 AM »
FROR!
Time to go wheelin!

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2018, 05:32:11 AM »
My next set up (r151 w/dual 2.28) will have a home brewed thripple stick set up i got from lizard lips. I have seen the fror but don't particularly care for the shifters turning out like they do.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:54:09 AM »
I have those same twins. Been running them for about 10 years. 1st time out the rollpin broke. I disassembled and put new rollpin in in both sides. ZERO issues since. Not trying to stand up for TG, but that particular product once ever so slightly repaired is a good one.
Is there a chance they started using a stronger roll pin?

lone walker

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 606
  • Member since Oct '09
  • we're there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2018, 05:50:21 PM »
LMFAO

had a MC twin stick years ago, still think it's one of the best design other then fror....

« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2018, 06:16:35 PM by lone walker »
Going, going, gone

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2018, 10:37:06 AM »
I'm not having a problem with the Trail Gear twin sticks and if I ever do, I'll look for an alternative set up.
At the time I bought my twin sticks, Trail Gear was all there was. 🤔

There is problems with twin stick idea in general.  You are putting too much torque to one output and the twin stick design itself is weak.  In general there is not much point in a twin stick, the only advantage a twin stick gives is going into 2wd low, how often does a person need to be in 2wd low? In the off chance that someone does need to be in 2wd low... put it in low and go unlock a hub.  This would keep the torque equally to the front and rear outputs, as well as eliminate the issue of the shifters themselves.

"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2018, 12:52:22 PM »
It also allows your shifters to only travel fwd and backward making for much nicer cuts in the floor and nicer shift boots. Keeps it more organized.
06 tacoma street truck

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2018, 07:21:03 PM »
FROR!

I ran the FROR twin sticks for part of a Moab trip and for my one trip to the Round Up.

I had the Marlin Crawler Twin sticks in my truck and near the top of the Moab Rim trail the 2wd/4wd shifter folded over to the point that I really couldn't shift it anymore.  I talked to Marlin Crawler pretty much on the spot and they overnighted a FROR replacement to me since their's were out of stock and the FROR was all they had laying around in the shop.  It got me through the rest of the trip and then BigMike handed me a new Marlin Crawler shifter at the roundup.  I opted to make the change at home and not take anything apart on the trail. 

The FROR twin stick was a solid unit, but it was too tall for my liking.  I'd buy it over TG any day simply because of the branding, but I much prefer the Marlin Crawler shifter.

The Marlin Crawler shifter broke because there was a small run of them that didn't get properly heat treated.  I also got an adapter for my dual cases that was part of a small run that had been machined incorrectly.  That once cost me two rebuilds before the issue was identified and due to the timing relative to a Moab trip and the adapters being out of stock is the reason that I actually have an Inchworm from case in front of my Marlin 4.70:1 rear case.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2018, 07:28:09 PM »
I have a 2" BL so it may be that I haven't noticed any height issue.
Time to go wheelin!

Dick Foster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2018, 03:29:52 PM »
When I did twin sticks none existed so I had to make my own. I just got tired of waiting. It wasn't that hard and I short shifted it while I was at it. A little girder work followed by a little filing and a tad of welding and that's all it took. It's been years and it's still working just dandy. I think I used a mill on the aluminum spacer block for short shift but that could have been done on a drill press with maybe a little filing. I did have to take the shift fingers out to a heat treater to get them case hardened. Probably the hardest part was taking the transfer case apart to mod it for twin shift but that wasn't all that hard so I did a spare T case just in case and it's still laying around in the garage somewhere.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2018, 10:08:40 PM »
I have a 2" BL so it may be that I haven't noticed any height issue.
I need to scope out the fror twin sticks You have next time I am around Abe
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.