Author Topic: 22ret horrible gas mileage?  (Read 9761 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,238
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: 22ret horrible gas mileage?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 01, 2018, 02:39:10 AM »
I fixed everything besides the temp sensor and it is getting 13-14 mpg which I'm thinking is still bad. I'm right at sea level, the engine is rebuilt and has 160 compression in each cylinder, spark plugs look perfect, I'm running 31" tires with the stock drivetrain. I have never had the engine tuned, but I have the timing and valve lash spot on. I'm also using 10w30 oil. I'm hoping that hooking up the temp sensor will help my gas mileage. I looked for the wire the other day but I'm going to probably have to trace it from the ecu.

Would does "fixed" mean?

For your 31" tires, when calculating gas mileage using your odometer reading on your instrument panel, you need to multiply the number of miles driven by 10% and add that to the total mileage driven - before dividing by the number gallons used.  Otherwise your calculated number for MPG will lower than it actually is.

Also, have you tested your odometer reading by driving down a road, noting the 000 on odometer, then between mile markers, note how many tenths have click off on the odometer?  I think you will find that your odometer reading on your instrument panel will be almost exactly 9/10ths.  You can do the same thing with a really cool free downloaded smart phone app called 69.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2018, 07:49:19 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Mar 01, 2018, 06:38:41 AM »
Is this your first "train wreck"?... Have you been on any other train wrecks in your last 536 posts? :dunno:

Gnarls.  :gap:

Dont let my measly 500 post fool you.  Ive been witness to plenty misinformation train wreck threads here and P4x4.
hold this. . .

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »
Dont let my measly 500 post fool you.  Ive been witness to plenty misinformation train wreck threads here and P4x4.

Naaahhh... there's no Bravo Sierra here!  :gap:

Gnarls. :blah:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Mar 01, 2018, 02:13:06 PM »
I don't know how many forums gnib is part of but I know has got some of the best posts on another forum I enjoy. He also has over 2k posts there. I'm sure has seen his fair share of train wreck threads.

In tech world, fix the temp switch otherwise you could be having a problem of the any never adjusting the fuel map from open loop to closed loop.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #34 on: Mar 01, 2018, 06:55:34 PM »
This thread is kind of a train wreck.

gnob,

I'm just curious.  Why do think "This thread is kind of a train wreck"?

And... what IS your definition of "a train wreck"?

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #35 on: Mar 01, 2018, 06:59:42 PM »
I don't know how many forums gnib is part of but I know has got some of the best posts on another forum I enjoy. He also has over 2k posts there. I'm sure has seen his fair share of train wreck threads.

So gnob on this forum and posting his "train wreck" is one of his "best posts"??  :thumbs:

Gnarls.  :blah:

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Mar 01, 2018, 08:33:01 PM »
So gnob on this forum and posting his "train wreck" is one of his "best posts"??  :thumbs:

Gnarls.  :blah:

Don't know where you got that assumption from. All I simply did was inform that he is a person with good knowledge. If he cares to share it he will. Sometimes those he say less are simply more helpful, sometimes not.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #38 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:38:05 AM »
Don't know where you got that assumption from. All I simply did was inform that he is a person with good knowledge. If he cares to share it he will. Sometimes those he say less are simply more helpful, sometimes not.

Mudder… are you gnob’s mouthpiece because he’s too busy posting his “good knowledge” somewhere else?

Here’s my “assumption”…. He posts a smart-a$$ comment, which infers that the rest of us ree-tards reading and posting in the thread don’t know what a train wreck looks like, the information is bogus, and the thread is just a waste of time.

In 19 years of being on automotive forums most of the train wrecks I’ve read are actually started by a post just like his!!  :dunno:

:bowdown:   I feel so much better now knowing we have a FAKE NEWS DETECTOR  here to alert us ree-tards what thread is a train wreck.

As you can read..... any ree-tard can post a smart-a$$ comment.  :gap:

Gnarls. :dancing:

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2018, 01:46:24 AM by Gnarly4X »

MrFatEggs [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Mar 06, 2018, 04:02:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply from everyone. Unfortunately I was not able to figure out the issue with the temp sensor so what I went ahead and did was put a bolt in the fuel rail blocking fuel from getting to the cold start injector. This increased my gas mileage to 20mpg but it just takes a few more cranks to start it when cold.

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26840
  • Male Posts: 3,508
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Mar 06, 2018, 05:53:53 PM »
If.., after plugging it, its getting better MPGs, it has to be: A: defaulty cold start injector. Or B: wiring going to CSI.  :headscratch: is it possible that CSI was leaking from the (4) crush washers   :dunno:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Mar 06, 2018, 07:17:19 PM »
A leaking CSI is my thought as well, as it should only fire when cranking the engine.  You might want to test the CSI and see if it is leaking, or continuing to fire when the ignition is the run position.

Not having the coolant temp sensor hooked up is going to still cause the engine to run rich.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod