Author Topic: Anti-wrap or not to anti-wrap  (Read 6498 times)

Axlesnap

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
Anti-wrap or not to anti-wrap
« on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:59:44 AM »
So I have built a nice anti-wrap for my runner(not installed yet just making it perrtty). My question is, are you guys really running one? my runner sits on 3 inch all pro springs front and rear (the rears 9 inch longer then stock with 8 leaves) and 35 inch tires. Coming from Jeep Land, that's just what you do on a SWB and a SOA. I'm seeing a mix in the toy crowd some with, some without.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-wrap or not to anti-wrap
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2018, 10:08:55 AM »
I like to run a leaf top of the rear packs from the u-bolts forward and sandwich it under the front most spring clamp.  This trick pretty much eliminates axle wrap. I think the need for it really depends on your setup.  I would try it out and see if you need one.  If you have something ready to go I'm sure it won't hurt to run it.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:21:02 PM »
Anti-Wrap on a 4-wheeler??  :thumbdown:

Gnarls. :gap:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:35:33 PM »
I have a Bud Built traction bar to help stop my axle wrap. It’s really only a Moab issue where the traction is high and the angles steep. Didn’t get to really test it on the last trip because it was wet on the obstacles where I could really see how it worked.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:26:39 AM »
Having run a wrap bar on my old truck and now not. I currently run the 56" marlin/AP/Betts springs with the top wrap leaf as shown above.  I still have wrap.  I want to put on another anti wrap.
The biggest downfall of the antwrap bar is making work and travel with your suspension instead of binding or limiting travel.
I would ultimately like to do a rear 3link
hold this. . .

Dirt Mover

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 186
  • Male Posts: 355
  • Member since Sep '03
  • Chrome won't get you home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:52:01 PM »
I've been running a ruff stuff one for years and I believe in them. I notice the improvement when going up a vertical climb like a ledge.

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 03:26:12 PM »
Axle wrap is inherent in any leaf spring vehicle, and cause a lot of stress, bind, and bounce to your vehicle.  Anti wrap bars are a great thing as long you you find one that articulates with your suspension.  The Ruff Stuff anitwrap/ Traction bar is pretty good, it works off a shackle. 
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 04:50:42 AM »
Interesting topic…

Axle wrap, and anti-wrap was rarely a topic of discussion during my 20+ years of 4-wheeling.  Articulation, droop, shock mounts, limiting straps, etc. were words used during discussions of how to increase and control overall suspension articulation.  Suspension damage was mostly caused by something other than axle wrap.  In 20+ years of 4-wheeling I only had one (1) leaf spring break and it was probably 15 to 20 years old.

During my drag racing days, traction bars were discussed to help reduce axle wrap, but that control is not a major concern for rock crawling at practically zero MPH and extremely controlled torque and traction.

I’m sure controlling negative flex and potential failure mitigation in a suspension design is an important consideration.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Rix86

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2019, 02:59:55 PM »
Absolutely put one on. as long as it doesn't bind or do anything real funky and your geometry is anything close to correct.
INCREDIBLY RANDOM

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2019, 05:06:48 PM »
Install a anti-wrap leaf on the top of your springs, I have been wheeling the same Toyota PU since and never need a anti-wrap bar!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2019, 05:25:55 PM »
Install a anti-wrap leaf on the top of your springs, I have been wheeling the same Toyota PU since and never need a anti-wrap bar!!

Ive been planning to try this on my ruf/chevys. Do you want the anti wrap leaf pushing down on the pack or just laying there static? 
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2019, 05:47:01 PM »
Mine are just laying on top of the spring!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

DutchVDub

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 137
  • Member since Sep '20
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2020, 09:40:26 AM »
My YJ on tons had an antiwrap/traction bar on it.  I was using rally soft and long XJ springs backwards on it for a WB stretch.  I used RuffStuff's kit.

Groundpounder17

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2020, 06:44:58 PM »
I don’t think my old and tired 22R is strong enough do worry about this. 
‘82 Toyota RN38, mostly stock