Author Topic: 2007 double cab taco (and current issues)  (Read 5221 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
2007 double cab taco (and current issues)
« on: Nov 22, 2017, 06:28:41 PM »
I haven't said much about it, but I picked up a high mile double cab 07 taco from the original owner in june.  Condition was pretty good, but with a fair amount of small dings/scratches.  Seemed to run well but some issues had popped up directly after buying it.

There was a small vibration starting at about 29mph through 35, then again around 58-64 mph.  I rotated/rebalanced my tires hoping it'd go away, but it persisted.  I got tires a few weeks back (lt265/75r16C goodyear duratracs) and hoped it'd go away, but it didn't.  That said, it hasn't done it in the last couple weeks, so...

It's been a magnet for more door dings and scratches, the best being what appeared to be a fat person with a purse or backpack who had trouble squeezing between the truck and their car, stopping and restarting a few times for good measure.  PO had the hood and roof painted by a high end shop a while back, but sadly they missed the part above the driver door and the clearcoat has started to fade.

Interior is in good shape but has typical use stains from a lack of cleaning.  I've cleaned a little but not worried much about most.  I will eventually get some good floor matts and seat covers.  May also try to fab something of a makeshift back seat bed since part of the reason for buying it was to have room to sleep in it for fishing and hunting adventures, and the back seat is even tiny for me!

The most fun part, though, is when I was driving to the bank a couple weeks back and water dripped out of the headliner!  I rerouted the xm radio thing he'd run through the top of the 3rd brake light thinking water had run in there, then noticed at the end of last week that there was a swamp in the passenger floorboard.  It was so wet that the floormatt was completely soaked and water ran out of it for a few minutes when I removed it.  Been trying to dry if off on dry days and find a leak, to no avail.  I did see where water had run down the kick panel right in front of the door, and I could trace it as far as the lower corner of the dash, but that's where the trail ended.  I will be at Stocker's house tomorrow and we'll hopefully be able to get a good look at it.

I've talked with a glass shop and they're convinced it isn't the windshield seal leaking, but there are tons of threads out there on issues with the oe windshield seal leaking.  Sadly, the shop says there's no way to salvage the windshield if you hafta reseal it, but they might be able to spot-seal it from inside after doing a smoke test for leaks.  They also thought the drain/drains near the cowl could be leaking, or the seal for the fresh air intake.  I will drop it off for the day with them next week if Stocker and I can't find a fixable leak.

Another issue it's had since buying it is a slight clunk in the front end when I let off the brake to take off.  I thought it might be a tranny mount or something, but it has actually stopped doing it over the last couple weeks so  :dunno:

I don't plan any major mods, just a slight lift, better bumpers, winch (if dingman ever gets back to me), better brakes and probably some nicer wheels
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: 2007 double cab taco (and current issues)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2017, 06:56:25 PM »
Not a Toyota, but on my 64 Plymouth Valiant water would leak from the cowl into the kick panel because the drainage hole for the cowl was just above and outside of the kickpanel area.    Under certain conditions water wouldn't drip down the outside front of door like it was supposed to, but into the inside of the kickpanel area.

See if the cowl drain holes are clogged up.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2017, 07:48:43 PM »
That is on the agenda for tomorrow, thanks!  Always thought that was the problem on my hilux but haven't found a clog yet
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:02:23 PM »
I also plastic lined the openings behind the kickpanel.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2017, 02:31:26 PM »
If I had a vote I'd cast it on the urethane holding the windshield in. The paint will separate from the body and water will leak in. Seen it many many times on 05 up tacomas.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2017, 08:53:13 PM »
I agree, hopefully the glass place does too
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2017, 07:19:57 PM »
So they pressurized it and added smoke and found no leaks, then brought out the hose and saw it leaking in the top of the windshield.  Imagine that!  They were able to find the offending part and reseal it, but if it leaks again they're just gonna replace the windshield.  I am hoping to be done with this issue so I can move on to more fun things  :crossed:
RIP KYOTA

84toyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:13:49 AM »
A comment on the vibration and clunking - I have a 2007 Double cab as well... I just received a letter from Toyota stating that there was a “warranty extension” on the u-joints and possibly the driveline and other associated parts.  Enough people have had similar vibrations and clunking that they recognize there is a problem.  You need to take it to a dealer and start documenting the problem, before they’ll fix it...

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:29:45 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the heads up!  I keep meaning to call them with my vin and see if it’s due for any recalls
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2017, 04:10:13 PM »
Was scheduled to have my front oe struts swapped w/bilstein 5100s today but the shop ordered the wrong ones.  Awesome.  The counter guy kept trying really hard to get me to still do it, then when I finally said ok he starts backpedaling and tries talking me out of it.  This is why I try to only deal with the owner, who unfortunately was tucked into a project of tearing out the floor on one side of the shop.

Finally did the littlest bit of work on it the other day.  Did a well overdue oil change since I got the right combo of time off and a decent day to do so.  Forgot to snug the 2 little nuts holding on the engine cover, so I hafta see if lithia has those  :_oops:

Also got around to vacuuming out the floors.  Didn't look like it was working very well, but now that it's done it looks a lot better. 

I am not so patiently waiting to get my new seat covers, too.  I splurged and got ones more expensive (by quite a bit) than I ever thought I'd buy, but the deal was good and there are lots of good reviews on the covers.  Hoping for a warm, dry day to install them since I've read it can take a few hours to get them on right...
RIP KYOTA

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2017, 04:26:57 PM »
 :worthless:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:26:19 PM »
Some day I'll get around to finding an app to resize my iphone pics, then I'll get around to taking pics of my work...
RIP KYOTA

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:34:19 PM »
Some day I'll get around to finding an app to resize my iphone pics, then I'll get around to taking pics of my work...

lol dude. just go to the play store for android or app store for crapple and search "image resizing" or "image compressor". Just get one that doesn't bombard you with ads and works reasonably quickly. if they all bombard you with ads, turn on airplane mode, launch and use the app, and turn off airplane mode.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2017, 11:00:27 AM »

or send them to me and Ill host them up for you. :beerchug:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13