Author Topic: Life, powered by Toyota  (Read 5343 times)

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Life, powered by Toyota
« on: Nov 20, 2017, 07:26:01 PM »
So, the other day, as I was helping to haul some firewood, it occurred to me just how much of what I do is dependent on having a tough and sorta-kinda-maybe dependable pickup to do it with. Carrying firewood, chasing data, even just commuting through an 18" deep snowdrift now and then. It all has a common theme of needing the right pickup. Needless to say, the right pickup is a Toyota (or two):

Then, around the time I took this shot, it dawned on me that we need a slogan to put the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge guys in their place: Life, powered by Toyota.

Does Toyota power your life? Tell us all below, with pics to prove it!

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Life, powered by Toyota
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2017, 04:41:12 AM »
Hey Lewis,

So…. what has changed with your thinking?  :headscratch:

It wasn’t too long ago you posted your thoughts and tenaciously questioned whether or not a Toyota truck has a truly reliable reputation backed up by lots and lots of historical facts and years and years of automotive expert comparisons, and testimonials by owners.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=102294.0

You said:  “And my lack of convincement is no reflection on the arguments presented by anyone here..”

Regarding your statement:  “Then, around the time I took this shot, it dawned on me that we need a slogan to put the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge guys in their place: Life, powered by Toyota.”

While I understand the long standing brand rivalry – factual or anecdotal -  I don’t understand why we need to put the non-Toyota guys in their place.  Isn’t there enough discontentment in the world today?

From their perspective, the Ford guys can brag about their trucks:

http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/2017-Vehicle-Dependability-Study/1882ENG/Large-Light-Duty-Pickup/1124

The Chevy guys can brag about their trucks:

http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/2017-Vehicle-Dependability-Study/1882ENG/Large-Heavy-Duty-Pickup/1123

The RAM truck guys can brag about the brute power of the 3500 that will out tow any other pick up on the market.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ram/3500

Although not typically mentioned in a truck comparison…  The Honda guys can brag about beating out Nissan and Toyota:

http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/2017-Vehicle-Dependability-Study/1882ENG/Midsize-Pickup/1100

And in some overall rankings Toyota trucks are down on the list:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/full-size-pickup-trucks

What’s my point?  Remember, without the other guys…. Toyota would not look so good.  :gap:

It just comes down to your point of view.

Gnarls. :D

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2017, 06:09:32 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2017, 06:37:46 AM »
What changed with my thinking? I had some real life experiences :)

OK, this makes two off-topic posts. Back to business! :_order:

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2017, 08:20:16 AM »
You know I had to jump in here.  My lifestyle demands something like a Toyota.  Our house was built with Toyotas.  I don't even know where to begin.  The 1980 long bed I got years ago for $250 still hauls our water supply, 1,680 lbs per load, through an ice hole to our house.  The 4runner has had it's ups and downs but we constantly abuse it, towing WAY too much, commuting with it, using it for my work to access remote places, tractor duty, herding animals, vacations etc.

So yes indeed, Life, powered by Toyota...
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2017, 09:08:25 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2017, 06:32:37 AM »
Life powered by Toyota…

Well… in the beginning my life was powered by Chevy.

Since 1986 I’ve been powered by a Toyota, starting with my 1986 Longbed, and today I am still powered by a 1986 Toyota truck with my XtraCab.

I’m on my 14th Toyota vehicle, 4th Toyota truck.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2017, 12:58:38 PM »
we need a slogan to put the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge guys in their place: Life, powered by Toyota.
Okay, I have just been put in my place.  :gap:

No complaints about our Tacoma we bought new in 2005.... but in the 40+ years I have owned my K20, it's done all I asked of it, which has been quite a lot.   :thumbs:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2017, 03:38:08 AM »
What about the Tesla that can haul an F150?

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

LiveWire64

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2017, 09:35:28 AM »
My Toyotas have never let me down.

green200b

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 94
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Four doors for more whores!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2017, 11:16:53 AM »
Gnarly4x, I can't quote the picture but that first picture you have posted is awesome  :thumbs:  I'm guessing that's circa 1986?
green200b, aka Alistair

1982 Toyota Hilux 4WD - 350 Chev, G52, 4.3s, Detroit Locker, 33x12.5 mud tyres
1981 Mazda RX-7 Sport, 12A rotary - daily
1974 Mazda RX-2, 13B rotary - cruiser
1980 Datsun 200B - first car, now hibernating

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2017, 07:29:40 PM »
Gnarly4x, I can't quote the picture but that first picture you have posted is awesome  :thumbs:  I'm guessing that's circa 1986?

Hey green200b,

Thank you.

The photo was taken in 1992-93.  The truck was my first 1986 Longbed, 22RE, automatic, Doug Thorley header, 2" free-flow exhaust.

That was an incredible truck!  I 4-wheeled it all over California, Arizona, and Mexico.

The 2NARLY truck is my current 1986 XtraCab SR5, 22RE, 5-speed, I just rebuilt the engine. 

That photo was taken in 2006 right after I bought it.  It is in incredibly nice condition.

Gnarls.

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2019, 07:37:39 PM »
And with one simple build project that anyone can do with weeks of re-designing, days of welding, several calculated risks, and multiple visits to the scrap yard your Toyota can lift anything! (well almost)

With the advent of my flatbed things have to be lifted to waist level to get them on there, making logs and machinery difficult propositions. So I invented a Toyota-mounted crane, and built it without one single piece of new material. Even the chain hoist is one I found in the scrap pile and bought for $5.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2019, 02:24:31 AM »
And with one simple build project that anyone can do with weeks of re-designing, days of welding, several calculated risks, and multiple visits to the scrap yard your Toyota can lift anything! (well almost)

With the advent of my flatbed things have to be lifted to waist level to get them on there, making logs and machinery difficult propositions. So I invented a Toyota-mounted crane, and built it without one single piece of new material. Even the chain hoist is one I found in the scrap pile and bought for $5.

Wow.... MacGyver would be SO proud of you!!  :beerchug:

Gnarls.  :gap:

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2019, 08:49:56 PM »
 So a few days ago some big pigs came busting through our fence. So we installed hog wire, unrolling it from a pipe chained behind the pickup as we drove up the mountain aired down.

Didn't go all the way to the top, about to tree line. the 4.7:1 transfer case and 10 PSI are nice :thumbs:

anders089

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2019, 05:36:22 PM »
And I'm just interesting in installing a back camera on it. Would it worth it? I should consider about temperature and other things for now, just to be sure that it will work properly. Because I've been experiencing some issues with my old cameras as well. Few months ago I've decided to choose a new one and the best option I've found was model called iStrong (from here: https://carinmydna.com/best-wireless-backup-camera/), that can show you exact distance to the obstacle back to your car. Isn't it cool?

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1138
  • Male Posts: 534
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2019, 10:07:36 AM »
Life powered by Toyota huh? Yeah, started out with Chevy, but got my first Toyota in '86, a 1981 Celica. Had a love affair with the 22R ever since. That was my gateway Toyota. Since then I've mainlined 22R and 4AGE and experimented with several other Toyota engines. Memorable entries are 18RG/U, 2TG, 2/3TC 18RC, 5MGE, 7MGE, Hybrid 20/22R, 4/7AGE. So yeah, life powered by Toyota seems fitting as it has about a third priority in my thoughts. Wife comes first of course.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.