Author Topic: 1986 REAR DIFF PINION FLANGE SEAL  (Read 2091 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
1986 REAR DIFF PINION FLANGE SEAL
« on: Oct 18, 2017, 06:33:33 AM »
As I mentioned before, one of the disadvantages of owning Toyota vehicles is I don’t get to work on them much to do actual repairs… my trucks have been very reliable.  Before now, I’ve never had a diff leak.  Leaks, squeaks, rattles, and vibrations drive me nuts!

I will be removing and installing a new rear pinion flange seal on my 1986 XtraCab.  The R&R looks fairly straight forward and simple.

Questions….?

Are there any tricks I need to know or any precautions?  .

Any particular brand of seals I should NOT buy?

How deep of a groove in the pinion sleeve, where the seal rides, is acceptable before replacing the pinion flange?

Any comments, suggestions, or shared experiences will be appreciated.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 1986 REAR DIFF PINION FLANGE SEAL
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2017, 11:37:50 AM »
As I mentioned before, one of the disadvantages of owning Toyota vehicles is I don’t get to work on them much to do actual repairs… my trucks have been very reliable.  Before now, I’ve never had a diff leak.  Leaks, squeaks, rattles, and vibrations drive me nuts!

I will be removing and installing a new rear pinion flange seal on my 1986 XtraCab.  The R&R looks fairly straight forward and simple.

Questions….?

Are there any tricks I need to know or any precautions?  .

Any particular brand of seals I should NOT buy?

How deep of a groove in the pinion sleeve, where the seal rides, is acceptable before replacing the pinion flange?

Any comments, suggestions, or shared experiences will be appreciated.

Gnarls.

You need to be careful not to over crush the crush sleeve when you tighten the new pinion nut. Do Your research, You are good at it. Once the drive shaft is removed turn the flange By hand to make sure everything feels smooth and not gritty.
Please don't reuse the pinion nut.
If it leaks again after you replace the seal You have bigger fish to fry. Pinion bearing?
Just get a darn Toyota seal, You cheap Charlie.
Put orange FIPG under the washer and nut or it will leak past the splines. Trust me! seen it more times than I can count. Do not use the Right stuff instead (Good God!)
If You can feel the groove with your finger nail it's to deep.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2017, 12:21:03 PM »
You need to be careful not to over crush the crush sleeve when you tighten the new pinion nut. Do Your research, You are good at it. Once the drive shaft is removed turn the flange By hand to make sure everything feels smooth and not gritty.
Please don't reuse the pinion nut.
If it leaks again after you replace the seal You have bigger fish to fry. Pinion bearing?
Just get a darn Toyota seal, You cheap Charlie.
Put orange FIPG under the washer and nut or it will leak past the splines. Trust me! seen it more times than I can count. Do not use the Right stuff instead (Good God!)
If You can feel the groove with your finger nail it's to deep.

Hey :)bestgen4runner,

:bowdown:  Thank YOU!  I was hoping you would offer some hot tips and your experience.

I have not done ALL of my “research”, got a few people I would like to also get their input.  :thumbs:

I will take your advise and experience to heart!!  As you know me… I have a “trust but verify” kind of mentality -- For a couple reasons, 1 – because I really enjoy discussing things with other people, and 2 – because it gives me an opportunity to learn more.  :gap:

Here in the desert we call you a “TAD man”!!  Totally Awesome Dude!!  :beerchug:

Gnarls.  :spin:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

andykrow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2017, 02:19:57 PM »
Don't know if it's useful info or not (and it is totally anecdotal) but I have used the following technique a handful of times, with pinion nuts and output flanges on tcases:

iirc the advice was from ZUK, to use the same nut, and when tightening it back up pay attention to where the nut was staked, and tighten until that lines up with the notch on the pinion. That way you are very close to the torque setting that was used during the setup.

This has worked well for me. One diff I did this with has over 60k miles since we put a new seal in there. No problems or weird noises.

I have used Toyota and Marlin ecoseals with no issues.
85 4runner, 22re, 5spd, Ultimate crawler, Alcan lift that is too high, 35s, ARBs.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2017, 03:25:53 AM »
Don't know if it's useful info or not (and it is totally anecdotal) but I have used the following technique a handful of times, with pinion nuts and output flanges on tcases:

iirc the advice was from ZUK, to use the same nut, and when tightening it back up pay attention to where the nut was staked, and tighten until that lines up with the notch on the pinion. That way you are very close to the torque setting that was used during the setup.

This has worked well for me. One diff I did this with has over 60k miles since we put a new seal in there. No problems or weird noises.

I have used Toyota and Marlin ecoseals with no issues.

Thank you for the input.

I did a little more research on this R&R.

Like most things Toyota, there are a number of suggested ways on how to do it.  I spoke to my good friend who has done too many 3rd members for him to count.  Apparently the Toyota diffs came with either shims or crush sleeve.  Since it is difficult to re-crush a crush sleeve, that isn’t really a concern. The torque setting isn’t critical, but I will note the location of the nut based on the threads showing.  I can use the old nut.  Since the Toyota Dealer parts guy told me there are 3 different part numbers for the seal on a 1986 rear diff, I will give him my VIN# and buy a factory seal and new nut.  If the flange is worn at all, I’ll replace it.

My tranny is back in, but I still have to install the starter, drive shafts, and shifters.  The leaking rear diff seal will get done after I degrease the rear axle and diff and then drop the rear drive shaft and pull the flange.

Gnarls.