Author Topic: Solid axle hub/wheel bearing question  (Read 2486 times)

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Solid axle hub/wheel bearing question
« on: Oct 15, 2017, 11:03:45 AM »
First the question.. I want to swap out hubs on my 84 with another pair of used hubs. Can I get away with just putting in new bearing races or even just leave the existing used races that came in these other hubs? The bearings in my existing hubs have very little use on them so I'm looking to avoid investing in a new set.

The back-story....

My 84 pickup has standard size, not metric wheel studs up front added by a PO, along with slip on 3/4" wheel spacers to equal the wms width of the IFS rear. I always thought the ifs rear was exactly 3" wider than the front based on everyone using 1.5" spacers, but my measurements show the 3/4" spacers actually make the front equal to the rear width.

Anyway, I'v wanted to switch to bolt on wheel spacers(1.5"), unfortunately the existing studs are too long, the threads don't continue close enough to the hub. I was able to buy a used pair of hubs, complete with decent (fj)rotors and the correct studs for less than new studs alone would have cost. This also gets rid of my current crappy (fj)rotors that had been soaked in brake fluid from leaking calipers for too long. I thought this would save $ and labor buto didn't consider the bearings.
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2017, 11:15:19 AM by 84Flatbed »

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Re: Solid axle hub/wheel bearing question
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2017, 12:41:43 PM »
If it where me, I would replace bearing and races at same time, however, I've seen worse things done to a truck. I would think not changing races, would prematurely wear out the bearings. Also look up ifs hub swap, will bring you out the desired width on front end, without spacers. You can find them on Craigslist for next to nothing
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

84Flatbed [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2017, 02:05:23 PM »
I am familiar with the IFS hub conversion. I like the idea but not a priority or a necessity imo. I have the spacers and thought having these complete hubs with the rotors would make for an easy remove and replace, as well as a $ savings, compared to my original thought of new rotors, all new studs and any labor expense in pressing the old out and new into my current hubs.

I spaced the part about the wheel bearings  :smack:. So, its either use my existing bearings that have very low miles, with these old, unknown races, or get new bearings, or eat what I paid for the used hub set and go back to my original plan.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:49:21 PM »
This may help you out!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

cporche

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09:00:18 AM »
This may help you out!!

This is some good info, im saving it for later!