Author Topic: Toybrota's 22R build  (Read 114860 times)

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Toybrota's 22R build
« Reply #60 on: Oct 18, 2017, 07:02:43 PM »
Ok! Got the whole kit laid out tonight to see what I've got and make sure everything is there.

Everything I can see, except the oil pump O-ring, is here. Even a drain plug gasket!

It also has a thermostat O ring gasket, and the water neck gasket itself. Great.

Also, anyone know why there is two different EGR cross over gaskets? (Might have the name wrong)

Something I noticed first hand, is how high quality the gaskets are, they are thick for one, compared to the thin timing cover gaskets that came with my OSK timing kit last time I did a timing job.

The head gasket itself looks great, don't necessarily know if it's gonna get used, it all depends on the condition of the head (which from my observation, is good) and the block. MLS head gaskets are really good and if need be, I'll use one.

And, the old style cork gasket for the pan, which I plan to use RTV on because cork gaskets leak from my experience.

Anyways, here's some pics. Super excited to get the ball rolling!!!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #61 on: Oct 19, 2017, 03:48:58 PM »
Painted the valve cover today, high heat engine primer and paint. Debating doing this to the timing cover as well. Definitely painting the block the same color.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #62 on: Oct 23, 2017, 04:31:35 PM »
Got the block today. They only bored it .020" over, which makes me believe even more that it's an original block never bored before this. They decked it .009", which is good!

Here's it getting some high heat engine primer before the paint.

I used the hammer technique to mask the areas off, it's so easy!! Also, the only time I will ever use a fram filter is to mask off the filter area.

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,499
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Oct 23, 2017, 05:06:38 PM »
 :beerchug: Looking good
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #64 on: Oct 23, 2017, 05:37:24 PM »
Looking nice and shiny! Looks like a marine diesel motor to me, the grey just gives it that look.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #65 on: Oct 23, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »
Finishing up with clear coat. I used high heat everything, primer, paint, and now clear gloss.

I also got some red paint on that classic yota logo, love the way it looks.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #66 on: Oct 23, 2017, 06:09:05 PM »
I masked everything EXCEPT both the water pipe ports on the side of the block... Is there a way to remove this paint or is it fine?

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #67 on: Oct 23, 2017, 06:38:13 PM »
I'd just run a tap down the bolt holes.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #68 on: Oct 23, 2017, 06:41:14 PM »
I'd just run a tap down the bolt holes.
Is it fine to put gaskets on it? I plan on running one through.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #69 on: Oct 23, 2017, 06:49:30 PM »
I masked everything EXCEPT both the water pipe ports on the side of the block... Is there a way to remove this paint or is it fine? ...

For the port hole...

I would NOT use a blade, scraper, or sandpaper to remove it.... don't want any of that getting into the coolant passages.

I would use lacquer thinner or MEK to soften and liquefy that paint and use a piece of cloth (t-shirt or shop rag) wrapped around the tip of phillips screwdriver, carefully pulling it out.

Before I'd run a tap through threads, I'd make sure they bottom out and NOT go through into the coolant passages.

Geezz.. great paint job... I wish I done that to my block.  That will probably last the life of your engine and withstand all the degreaser and carwash spray cleaning you can put it through.

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #70 on: Oct 23, 2017, 06:51:11 PM »
I would NOT use a blade, scraper, or sandpaper to remove it.... don't want any of that getting into the coolant passages.

I would use lacquer thinner or MEK to soften and liquefy that paint and use a piece of cloth (t-shirt or shop rag) wrapped around the tip of phillips screwdriver, carefully pulling it out.

Geezz.. great paint job... I wish I done that to my block.  That will probably last the life of your engine and withstand all the degreaser and carwash spray cleaning you can put it through.

Gnarls.
Thanks, appreciate it! I've just spent the last 2 hours painting it. I just want something that's clean and looks great.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #71 on: Oct 23, 2017, 06:57:31 PM »
I'd leave the paint on the flat portion where the gasket goes........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #72 on: Oct 23, 2017, 07:01:32 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Will do.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #73 on: Oct 23, 2017, 07:14:19 PM »

I'd probably leave the paint if its nice and smooth.  I'd use Optimum Grey on that pipe and gasket.  Be careful not to over torque those small bolts.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #74 on: Oct 23, 2017, 07:16:12 PM »
I'd probably leave the paint if its nice and smooth.  I'd use Optimum Grey on that pipe and gasket.  Be careful not to over torque those small bolts.

Gnarls.
Thanks again, I have a huge box of all the hardware, 90% still has the zinc plating on it! Super excited to drain my bank account.

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,499
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Oct 23, 2017, 07:17:42 PM »
Thanks, appreciate it! I've just spent the last 2 hours painting it. I just want something that's clean and looks great.

what color is it, I painted my 22re ford grey, kinda looks like it, love the attention to detail  :thumbs:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #76 on: Oct 23, 2017, 07:20:14 PM »
what color is it, I painted my 22re ford grey, kinda looks like it, love the attention to detail  :thumbs:
Exactly that color!! Ford Grey.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #77 on: Oct 24, 2017, 01:06:06 AM »
Got my kit!

Includes everything. And as requested, a picture of the head gasket. Also, what is this weird white fiber gasket?

I see a MLS headgasket with silicone embedded, and the white fluffy is for the stock exhaust manifold heat riser thing thats always tossed when you get that header from LCE
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Oct 24, 2017, 01:10:04 AM »
that thermostat o ring keeps the thermostat located in the hole and keeps coolant from getting passed it, use both it and the paper/fiber gasket.  I usually tell guys to drill a tiny 1/8 hole in the thermostat itself but seeing you are in Utah I wouldnt do that.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Oct 24, 2017, 01:18:38 AM »

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #80 on: Oct 24, 2017, 03:36:08 AM »
I also highly suggest a Marlin 1200 clutch  https://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/heavy-duty/clutch-hilux/1981-88-4cyl-1200-lb-clutch-kit

If you go to a heavy duty pressure plate and sticky clutch disc, you might consider getting a new clutch slave cylinder - and having a spare.  Several guys I knew experienced the slave cylinder failure.  This failure on the trail without a spare will be a trail run you won't forget.

Several guys I knew who installed the CentreForce and heavy duty pressure plates did not like the way they grabbed on engagement.  I don't know how Marlin's kit works.

In 20+ years of wheeling, I saw more slave cylinder failures than I did clutch disc failures.

That's my opinion - it may be worthless.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2017, 03:46:23 AM by Gnarly4X »

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #81 on: Oct 24, 2017, 03:41:58 AM »

In 20+ years of wheeling, I saw more slave cylinder failures than I did clutch disc failures.

That's why you occasionally practice clutchless shifting...........

:think:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #82 on: Oct 24, 2017, 03:48:19 AM »

That's why you occasionally practice clutchless shifting...........

:think:

LOL..... try practicing THAT on Fordyce or the Rubicon!!

Now... if and when you make it off the trail without toasting your starter.... then you get to do some serious practice "clutchless shifting", unless you are going to trailer it home.

Gnarls.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #83 on: Oct 24, 2017, 04:05:36 AM »
If you can clutchless shift on the street, you have a chance to clutchless shift on the trail...................
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Oct 24, 2017, 05:19:36 AM »
Regarding heavy-duty clutches, I think my experience may be relevant.

I've been around two different Toyota clutches; a 2WD with a normal clutch and mine with some kind of super-duper clutch. I have a love-hate relationship with mine. I love the heavy-duty clutch in mine because I can remember burning out the clutch on the 2WD with a winter of busting snowdrifts in and out. That was not a good year. I can dish out abuse to my 4WD clutch with way more confidence because it is a heavy-duty unit.

How do I know it's a heavy duty unit? Well, that's the reason I hate it. You rev the engine up to take off from a standstill, and start slowly letting the clutch in. Unless you're really careful, when the pedal is about halfway up the clutch grabs with a jerk and a ka-bang! and the truck shoots forward (on pavement) or spins a tire (on dirt) while the engine lugs down and almost stalls. After nearly 10 months of daily driving this clutch, I've got used to it somewhat, to the point where my love balances out my hate for it. But there's only so much "getting used to" can do.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #85 on: Oct 24, 2017, 06:02:19 AM »
I actually have a heavy duty Marlin clutch, when I blew out my trans awhile back, I put one in along with a new Aisin slave cylinder.
I love the clutch, I can't remember what load it is rated for.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #86 on: Oct 24, 2017, 06:21:31 AM »
I see a MLS headgasket with silicone embedded, and the white fluffy is for the stock exhaust manifold heat riser thing thats always tossed when you get that header from LCE
Thanks, I quickly researched and found out what they all belong to, it also has an oil cap O-ring, which is cool. It's got everything.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #87 on: Oct 24, 2017, 06:55:21 AM »
... I put one in along with a new Aisin slave cylinder.

I kept a spare slave cylinder in my parts kits that went with me every time I went wheel'n, along with a small bottle of brake fluid.

Gnarls.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #88 on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:01:39 AM »
I kept a spare slave cylinder in my parts kits that went with me every time I went wheel'n, along with a small bottle of brake fluid.

Gnarls.
I like the idea of that, these slave cylinders get works pretty hard.

Toybrota [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #89 on: Oct 24, 2017, 06:11:57 PM »
This seems like a dumb question, but can I follow my 1985 FSM to build this motor? I know the torque differences might be different. If so, I'll just buy a 82-83 FSM on eBay. I'd hate to, I just need the engine building section.