Author Topic: Toybrota's 22R build  (Read 116028 times)

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Toybrota's 22R build
« Reply #120 on: Sep 11, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »
Hey T,

600 grit would not have been able to remove too much metal.  Based on the photo, it looks like there is still some surface micro corrosion or pitting.  The journals should be a mirror chrome-like finish. If 600 grit does not remove it, I’d have the shop re-polish it.  I believe H8PVMNT has done quit a bit of work on refreshing crankshafts, he would have some good input.

On seal sleeves… I’ve read mixed reviews on their use.  If the crankshaft has deep grooving on the rear crank where the seal rides, and you don’t want to replace the crankshaft, then the sleeve is an option.

So the “input shaft”… are you talking about the transmission input shaft?  If you haven’t already read it, check out my posts in the transmission section on the input shaft seal issue that I went through.

On the clutch kit, is the clutch disc contaminated with oil?  If not, I don’t believe you have enough miles on it to need replacing.  If you want to replace it with a kit, I’d go with M-Pact, LUK, Beck Arnley, or Aisin.  Although they are popular, I would NOT buy a heavy duty kit – I’ve never smoked a stock style clutch in any of my trucks.  Be sure to replace the pilot bearing.  Before installing the tranny into the bell housing, and before you install the new pilot bearing, be sure you slip the pilot bearing over the end of the input shaft to make sure it slips on the tip of the shaft easily.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,1985,pickup,2.4l+l4,1277300,transmission-manual,clutch+kit,1993

On installing the bolts for the water pump and timing cover, unless you know for sure, be sure to measure the depth of each bolt hole and note the location for each bolt, and know which ones also will hold a bracket when finally installed.

I may have missed something.   Please keep us posted on your progress.

Gnarls.
I'm taking the crank to get it polished today, I figured it's $40 so why not have the pros do it? I'm also taking my flywheel to be resurfaced today.
As far as the input shaft seal, I do mean on the transmission. This transmission is brand new, but I'm replacing the input shaft seal and gasket anyways. Good insurance after all.
In regards to the clutch, I currently have no idea what it's condition is. It grabs great, the truck still drives (With bad knocking) but I figured I might as well replace it when I'm in there. I'll try and source an Aisin pressure plate, but I'll do that Rock Auto clutch disc that you recommended last time since it works so good.

The crank is pretty grooved, hence my desire to install a sleeve. I'm going to see if the machine shop will install it for me, as they'd get it straight.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk