Author Topic: Elementary (hopefully) question with Toyota R154 Trans dissasembly  (Read 3542 times)

subtlecuddle

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hello, I am thankful to have found this resource! I recently bought a used R154 Transmission of unknown condition/mileage/etc. I wanted to open up the case to just inspect the gears, syncros, and shift forks. I had no trouble following the Toyota FSM procedure to pop of the back aluminum case half off the intermediate plate. But I cannot for the life of me get the front half case off of the intermediate plate. I have removed the two largest circlips as described in the FSM. The Toyota FSM says to just tap the aluminum case with a hammer and it will come off. i have been at this for almost 3 days now, trying all sorts of hammers, mallets, etc. I have also tried using small chisels to try and pry the case apart, nothing seems to work. i am trying to be careful not to use too much force. If i jam a chisel in the case, i can feel the bearings binding on the case and i know that can't be good.

Are there any known tricks for getting this case to pop apart? Thanks in advance. Here are some pics.. .

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Stand up verticle, place a piece of plywood on the floor, with a little force slam the input shaft down on the plywood. It should come apart. Obviously do not get rough enough to damage anything.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

subtlecuddle [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply . I tried this method last night , but to luck. I am just not sure how much force I can apply to this without damaging anything .

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Wooden shims.

Then wobble it off (pushing the shims in deeper as you go) like you do with stubborn transmissions from the engine.   
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

TURBO

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 65475
  • Male Posts: 706
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Capt. Insaino shows no mercy
    • View Profile
did you try hammering on the input an countershaft O.D. race? not too hard you can crack the bearing. but sometimes the housing gets stuck on the snap ring groove.

*make sure you have the front housing as far away from the center plate as it will go without too much force applied to it*
MY BUILDS: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=76463.0 :woohoo:

More than tread lightly, leave it like you were never there, nor anyone else.
I AM :screwy:!!!

"These dusty roads ain't streets of gold
But I'm a happy right where I'm at"

Marlin is like the Chuck Norris of the rock crawling world. 

subtlecuddle [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies guys, i will give these methods a try.

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 280
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
Hey , Trevor here from Marlin Crawler.  I had our builder take a look.  He said if that is as far as you can get it off, sometimes the lip where the snap rings sit hang up on the aluminum of the case.  In which case, tap the bearing in to pop it off of that lip so the rest can come off. Hope this helps you, and good luck with your build.   
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

subtlecuddle [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thank you .  I set this project aside for a little while because I couldn't move forward on it , but I plan to pick it back up in October

subtlecuddle [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
VERY LONG OVERDUE UPDATE:

What TRevv said did the trick, lightly tapping the bearing free'd up the two halves of the case. I actually found a 2 foot section of PVC that fit on the bearing perfectly. i tapped that with a hammer, and it came right apart. I was able to complete my trans repairs. A big thank you to all those that replied.

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 280
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
VERY LONG OVERDUE UPDATE:

What TRevv said did the trick, lightly tapping the bearing free'd up the two halves of the case. I actually found a 2 foot section of PVC that fit on the bearing perfectly. i tapped that with a hammer, and it came right apart. I was able to complete my trans repairs. A big thank you to all those that replied.

Glad to hear that worked for you.  Have fun building.
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."