Author Topic: The all-new 1990 Daihatsu Rocky  (Read 67746 times)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: The all-new 1990 Daihatsu Rocky
« Reply #150 on: Oct 29, 2017, 05:38:37 PM »
Fortunately for me, the situation isn't so dire as your graph suggests. This is not the I3 993cc engine, but rather the I4 1296cc engine.
Oop's, didn't pay that close of attention.

So we see that the Charade engine has almost the same max power as the Rocky engine, but at 6000 RPM instead of 5000. The available HP falls off real fast at lower RPM.

I do most of my driving in the 2000-3000 RPM range, which yields 50-80 HP. To roughly equal that in the Charade-engined Rocky, I will have to rev between 4000 and 6500 RPM. Personally, I hate the idea of revving an engine that fast

Based on the hp/tq curves of the 1.3, if you have the overheating issue resolved, I would try running it at a higher rpm, w/higher shift points, and see how it runs, you aren't going to hurt it, and might just be able to maintain a little speed on hills.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Oct 29, 2017, 06:21:38 PM »
Based on the hp/tq curves of the 1.3, if you have the overheating issue resolved, I would try running it at a higher rpm, w/higher shift points, and see how it runs, you aren't going to hurt it, and might just be able to maintain a little speed on hills.

That's not a bad idea. I have a Charade timing belt coming from RockAuto, so when that gets here I'll put it all together and take it for a spin. I'm not terribly hopeful, to be honest, but it's worth a try.

One concern I have: I'm told that higher revving engines wear out faster, especially engines that get revved way up to pull things around. Won't I wear out this engine pretty quick revving so high all the time to pull a vehicle that weighs more than the one it came out of?

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #152 on: Oct 29, 2017, 07:34:33 PM »
Hey Lewis,

To see what Engine Analyzer will show, the following data is a start.

Bore
Stroke
Rod length
Valve Diameter Intake
Valve Diameter Exhaust
Chamber Style
Type of Intake
Type of Exhaust
Carb’d or FI – CFM rating
Camshaft specs
Compression Ratio

If you can provide that those specs and data, I can plug it in and see what we get.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: Oct 29, 2017, 07:40:52 PM »
Camshaft specs are going to be pretty hard to get. I'll dig around and see what there is, though.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Oct 29, 2017, 08:18:23 PM »
One concern I have: I'm told that higher revving engines wear out faster, especially engines that get revved way up to pull things around. Won't I wear out this engine pretty quick revving so high all the time to pull a vehicle that weighs more than the one it came out of?

Running engines for long periods in the upper 1/3 of their rpm range or constantly running them deep into the upper 1/3 before shifting is what causes them to wear out faster and/or fail.  With a 6500-7k redline, you shouldn't have any issues running/shifting at the rpm ranges I indicted, just listen to the engine, you should be able to hear when you are near the end of its happy rpm zone.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Nov 06, 2017, 03:48:14 PM »
OK, I finally got the new timing belt today, and got it installed. Working in the driving snow at 25*F is sub-fun, but at least it's all together now. In a couple days, I'll take it out for a definitive road test and see whether I think this Charade engine can pull it around or not. The fan sure moves a lot more air with the clutch re-done and a new belt on there, plus I got a lot of air out of the cooling system after filling it today, so I'm hopeful that the overheating problem is solved.

Meanwhile, I think this thing needs a name: It's now officially The Old Gospel Ship, after the Joan Baez recording

"...
I'm gonna take a trip in that old gospel ship
and go sailing through the air"

If this name makes no sense, remember that this is a vehicle with a short wheelbase, worn shocks, and a stiff suspension. Every time I drive it over my rocky driveway, I literally do go sailing through the air at every non-trivial bump.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #156 on: Nov 07, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »
OK, I finally got the new timing belt today, and got it installed. Working in the driving snow at 25*F is sub-fun, but at least it's all together now. In a couple days, I'll take it out for a definitive road test and see whether I think this Charade engine can pull it around or not. The fan sure moves a lot more air with the clutch re-done and a new belt on there, plus I got a lot of air out of the cooling system after filling it today, so I'm hopeful that the overheating problem is solved.

Meanwhile, I think this thing needs a name: It's now officially The Old Gospel Ship, after the Joan Baez recording

"...
I'm gonna take a trip in that old gospel ship
and go sailing through the air"

If this name makes no sense, remember that this is a vehicle with a short wheelbase, worn shocks, and a stiff suspension. Every time I drive it over my rocky driveway, I literally do go sailing through the air at every non-trivial bump.

did you pull a vacuum on the cooling system? this would insure no air in the system. you can rent the cooling vac kit from your local parts store
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Nov 17, 2017, 07:57:59 AM »
OK, I'm so late on this update.

A while ago, I changed the timing belts and got the cooling system working. I took it for another test drive, cruising around 3000-3500 and upshifting at 4500-5000. Thanks to the exhaust leaks and aftermarket intake, it made an incredible amount of noise at that RPM, and got the job done, sort of. On my commute to town, which is mostly downhill, it did fine. Coming home, mostly gentle uphill, I pretty much never got above 3rd gear. On the last mildly steep hill where the speed limit is 65 mph, I had to downshift to 2nd and rev waaaay up to get to 40 mph. Even then, I couldn't shift to 3rd.

Throughout, if I upshifted too soon or gave it too much throttle, the engine let me know very fast that I had done something wrong, with large amounts of pinging and a tremendous ruckus. Not wishing do destroy anything, I soon learned to keep it revved high and go very, very easy on the gas.

I conclude, therefore, that a 1.3 liter sedan engine cannot be expected to lug around a vehicle that would be kinda slow with a 22R.

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #158 on: Nov 17, 2017, 07:59:16 AM »
OK, I'm so late on this update.

A while ago, I changed the timing belts and got the cooling system working. I took it for another test drive, cruising around 3000-3500 and upshifting at 4500-5000. Thanks to the exhaust leaks and aftermarket intake, it made an incredible amount of noise at that RPM, and got the job done, sort of. On my commute to town, which is mostly downhill, it did fine. Coming home, mostly gentle uphill, I pretty much never got above 3rd gear. On the last mildly steep hill where the speed limit is 65 mph, I had to downshift to 2nd and rev waaaay up to get to 40 mph. Even then, I couldn't shift to 3rd.

Throughout, if I upshifted too soon or gave it too much throttle, the engine let me know very fast that I had done something wrong, with large amounts of pinging and a tremendous ruckus. Not wishing do destroy anything, I soon learned to keep it revved high and go very, very easy on the gas.

I conclude, therefore, that a 1.3 liter sedan engine cannot be expected to lug around a vehicle that would be kinda slow with a 22R. Wish I'd known that earlier, but
4BT swap.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Nov 17, 2017, 08:00:18 AM »
4BT swap.

I'm sooo tempted. Unfortunately, though, it doesn't look like I'll have time or facilities for an engine swap any time in the next few years.

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #160 on: Jan 08, 2018, 03:10:22 AM »
4BT swap.

you cant buy springs strong enough that are small enough to hold the front end up.

consider the 2.5 v6 out of a Grand Vitara small, light, got spunk.
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Jul 17, 2018, 04:42:10 PM »
Update: I kinda gave up on the Rocky. I let it sit while doing other things with my life for almost 8 months and figured it was headed to the junkyard. Then someone suggested that my troubles could be a plugged up cat, so I took a piece of sucker rod and a hammer and made it a high-flow cat  :laugh:. The result? It works! I can drive on the highway. I can zoom up hills at 45 in 3rd. It doesn't even want to overheat any more.

What's next? I dunno. A 2/3RZ would be cool if I had one...

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #162 on: Jul 17, 2018, 10:26:57 PM »

I like simple solutions

:qtip:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

utherjorge

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 142
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Two thirds is better than the whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Jul 28, 2018, 06:04:27 AM »
I think I've added to my thread here: mine is legal and in the road, and cruises at 65 where needed!

And then I may have blown the head gasket immediately after stopping when driving said speed. Never overheated, no loss of power...but a lot of sweet, white smoke.

There are a lot of threads for a lot of different swaps: Toyota 22s, 3.0 V6s, and so on. Any V-8s swapped in required either an inane lift to clear the oil pan or a reduction to 2wd.

However...who knows what else could be done

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Jul 28, 2018, 06:29:28 AM »
Yeah these engines seem to like blowing head gaskets. Mine had a blown HG when I got it. I've seen many advertised on Craigslist with the same. For all that they're mostly Toyota, they don't actually seem to be that good.

utherjorge

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 142
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Two thirds is better than the whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Jul 29, 2018, 08:59:30 AM »
The engines in these are all Daihatsu. Some of the overseas ones use Toyota motors, but not American Rockys.

That having been said...I have oil in the coolant. Which means..... :maddest:

hobbs89

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Aug 01, 2018, 08:27:26 PM »
 :biggthumpup: NICE

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Aug 29, 2018, 11:42:32 AM »
 :worthless:
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Aug 30, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »
Here's another picture:

Any guesses as to what's going on with the Rocky?

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #170 on: Aug 30, 2018, 12:46:56 PM »
Here's another picture:

Any guesses as to what's going on with the Rocky?
No way!! That will be so cool when it's done. Perfect engine for it. Saw a rocky in Salt Lake yesterday for the first time.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: Aug 30, 2018, 12:59:21 PM »
For the record:

I've read through a number of 22R swap threads, some claiming that a SAS is needed, some saying suspension and/or body lift to fit the engine. It depends on how you want to do it, but I'm not going to need either. The front diff is about 1/2" below the oil pan. (IFS with non-moving diff, so that's fine). The hood will have space to close. The price for that is that there's no space for "real" motor mounts. I'm trying some rubber sandwiched between the engine and frame brackets: if that doesn't work I may have to get creative.

Also, the Rocky transmission has the shifter 26" back from the bell housing and the G52 has about 18". I see a real interesting shift linkage in my future, too.

I'm inventing stuff as I go here, so copy my techniques at your own risk.

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Aug 30, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »
For the record:

I've read through a number of 22R swap threads, some claiming that a SAS is needed, some saying suspension and/or body lift to fit the engine. It depends on how you want to do it, but I'm not going to need either. The front diff is about 1/2" below the oil pan. (IFS with non-moving diff, so that's fine). The hood will have space to close. The price for that is that there's no space for "real" motor mounts. I'm trying some rubber sandwiched between the engine and frame brackets: if that doesn't work I may have to get creative.

Also, the Rocky transmission has the shifter 26" back from the bell housing and the G52 has about 18". I see a real interesting shift linkage in my future, too.

I'm inventing stuff as I go here, so copy my techniques at your own risk.

Getting creative. I like it. this will be a cool build when its done and Im looking forward to seeing what you come up with. 
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Aug 30, 2018, 06:41:24 PM »
Details of the motor attachment:

This is not a motor mount: it may possibly serve the same purpose of letting the motor flex a little and isolating the vibration. All I can say is, we'll see.

The first step is to find a tire and cut a 4x3 inch piece of the tread. Then drill a 1/4" pilot hole and a 1/2" hole. Hammer a 12mm bolt through the hole like this:

That's our new motor pad. Now we bolt it loosely to the bracket on the motor :

The head of the bolt will stick right through the big hole in the bracket attached to the frame. Later, I'll fix that so it actually holds the motor to the frame. I lowered the motor carefully and had to tap lightly with a hammer to fine tune the position, but it sat down without any problem.

The motor is currently sitting like that awaiting further work. It almost looks like it belongs there!

Like I said before, this is an experiment, and I make no claim that it will work.

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Aug 30, 2018, 06:48:49 PM »
Look at that shift linkage on the transmission:

The shift handle pivots and drives the rod, which in turn operates a little box on top of the transmission by the bell housing, which does the actual shifting. Don't be surprised to see this setup, or maybe a copy thereof, placed on a G52 in the future, because I don't want a shifter that sticks up in the middle of the dash.

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Aug 30, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »
And one last post of the day: in Wyoming, we call this a redneck lift kit

The bobcat driver has to drive backwards at the same rate the other car drives forwards. Both spot each other :yupyup:

Or maybe I raised up one end of the Daihatsu and skidded the old transmission out from under. Take your pick; I like the first story better.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #176 on: Aug 31, 2018, 06:10:47 AM »
Wtf!!! The engine mounts line up? So this is literally a bolt in swap? That is crazy. Your still going to be transfering engine vibration through the bolt to the frame. Could you not cut an inch or so out of the frame mounts and weld them back on? Looks simple enough.

I see your skid steer lift and raise you an alabama version I use to clean with.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Aug 31, 2018, 06:26:12 AM »
Could you not cut an inch or so out of the frame mounts and weld them back on?

I could... if I had a welder.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #178 on: Aug 31, 2018, 07:04:13 PM »
Rubber sandwich on the bolt.

jam nut...nut....washer....rubber.....engine mount.....rubber.....frame mount.....rubber.....washer.....bolt head
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #179 on: Aug 31, 2018, 07:30:12 PM »
Your still going to be transfering engine vibration through the bolt to the frame.

easy fix, use a rubber bolt :cheese:
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...