Author Topic: Extended Toyota maintenance schedule  (Read 2540 times)

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Extended Toyota maintenance schedule
« on: Aug 22, 2017, 07:37:57 PM »
Hey everyone,

It occurs to me that the Toyota service schedule is a little incomplete. All parts break eventually, but they only give replacement schedules for some of them. Therefore, for the good of the neophytes, I suggest we try to come up with a more complete schedule, including things like the alternator, starter, distributor, etcetera. The goal will to have most people replace said part just before it fails and strands them somewhere.

I will start with what I have picked up. Please add and correct as you see fit.

Timing chain at 100,000 (yes, widely known except to some neophytes)
Front axle seals at 180,000
Water pump at, say, 200,000
Thermostat at 200,000
Alternator at 100,000

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Extended Toyota maintenance schedule
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2017, 08:19:52 PM »
Alternator..........when it fails
Starter...........when it fails  (or if you have it out with the tranny,  inspect and replace the brushes and solenoid contacts (if necessary)and lube)
Distributor............when it fails
Water pump......... when it fails (or you've rebuilt the engine) or with some engines when it is easily accessible due to some other problem
Oil pump...........when if fails (or you've rebuilt the engine) or with some engines when it is easily accessible due to some other problem
Thermostat..........when it fails (or with the water pump, or the radiator)
Radiator..............when it fails or is hopelessly clogged up or you need more capacity (towing)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2017, 09:43:09 PM »
sadly emsvitil is right...It's only time when it fails. I like to upgrade systems on my truck. I did a flex fan from LCE and one of their cooler t-stats, but couldn't source a v6 radiator so I left that alone. now that I've blown up my engine I will be reusing my alternator (prolly has 50 miles on it), my starter, my distributor, my new thermostat and my flex fan. I will be replacing the water pump, oil pump (LCE high performance oil pump), and other odds and ends.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2017, 04:49:06 AM »
Why is it only time when it fails? Wouldn't it be less hassle to replace just before it fails? I mean, we do that with timing chain guides, belts, etc. because it causes much more expensive problems when they fail

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2017, 07:45:55 AM »
My solution it to collect lots of spares.  Then if something goes to heck you have a quick replacement to get you by.  I have started stocking a couple re-man alternators, I try to keep a few starters around.  PS pumps, ignitors, distributors etc.  Part out as many of these trucks as you can or scrounge wrecking yards for the bits and pieces.  Have a shed full of it. 

As far as things like the timing chain, water pump, probably when I do a rebuild most of the time unless something goes bad then I take the opportunity to refresh whatever I can justify when I have my engine opened up.  I plan to rebuild before spinning them out these days.

One thing on stuff like water pumps, fuel pumps, oil pumps, timing chains and tensioners:  I have tried the aftermarket ones and they fail pretty quick.  The Toyota stuff or at least higher quality Japanese will last like 4-5 times longer.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2017, 06:37:21 PM »
Well...

This is good advice, and I'll probably start up a parts shed of my own. I just feel nervous because I often take long-ish trips (>100 miles), and all the parts in the world don't help if they're back in the shed 100 miles away. My solution, I think, will have to be replace what and when I can preventively, and use the old part to stock the parts shed while running a new one on the truck.

That leaves the question: I'm at 220,000 miles and just had an ignitor failure. The alternator is nearly 15 years old with probably at least 80,000 on it. What's most likely to go next? What should be my highest priority for preventive replacement when I have spare cash for such things?

Lewis

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2017, 07:32:04 PM »
Lewis, going by your chart I will never have to change/fix anything on my rig again, last time I had it smog tested I had only put 800 miles from the time before, every two years!! :biggthumpup:
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2018, 06:07:05 PM »
Old thread, but I thought I'd add on the timing chain portion.
I think 100K miles is a completely realistic expectation for the dual row chain. I've had people express their experiences with the plastic guides themselves failing at 30K miles. I've also seen trucks with the original plastic guides with 340K + miles...

Makes one think, how long can the chain really go?...

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk