Author Topic: Toyota 4x4 Culture...  (Read 3440 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Toyota 4x4 Culture...
« on: Aug 09, 2017, 11:44:09 AM »
It has become apparent for me that the Toyota scene has matured to the point of being it's own kind of car culture/social structure, somewhat unique to others.  I have seen and experienced a lot of good will, support, enthusiasm, quirks, slang and traditions going along with owning and wheeling Toyota 4x4s.

I thought it deserved a thread for discussion.  It can be "You might be a Toyota 4x4 guy if..." or just a good story we can all relate to.  Toyota specific lingo, I don't now.

I have been on cross country road trips and had conversations with total strangers who speak the same Toyota language, been hooked up with free parts, free lodging, had the general feeling of having family, at least like a bunch of nice cousins, all over because of this Toyota thing in common.

Ever been caught under someone's truck in the parking lot checking something out and instead of asking what you are doing the owner just tells you about it?  I really think it's probably possible to drive clear across the country and have access to a Toyota shop or garage every day or so if you really tried to network.  Everybody is pretty much that nice too, or at least that sympathetic to the hobby.

Then there is the legendary slowness, the 22r that was the best thing for so long but the bane of our highway driving experience.  Only another Toyota 4x4 guy can appreciate the importance of a good tail wind or how hard it can be to pass a motor home going up the pass with too much tire.

So post up some Toyota specific anecdote or experience, good will, off road story, on road story, etc.  Maybe it's been done before but it should be fun...

:beer:
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2017, 01:42:51 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Toyota 4x4 Culture...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2017, 04:52:16 PM »
Momentum passing...........

Where you have to start the passing run way back to get enough speed and time it so that you can go into the opposite lane just before you would hit the car you're passing..........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2017, 05:00:20 AM »
Don't forget the legendary ride and handling of these trucks: The other day I bought some non-homogenized milk and tried to bring it home. It stayed milk for a little while but by the time I had it home (and especially up the mile-long rocky driveway) there was no longer any cream at the top. It had all turned into butter.

And an anecdote about the legendary racing potential of Toyotas...

When I was in Panama, our lab vehicle was a 2000s diesel hilux. The first time I drove it, I compared it to the 2WD '93 truck I've driven in the states and thought "Wow, this thing has zip!". Other people  commented to me that it was like driving a really slow sedan. Now that I have the 4x4 22R, every time I drive the 2WD I think "Wow, this thing has zip!". Thus, a 22R-powered 4x4 is slower than a vehicle that is slower than a slow vehicle. That's pretty slow, folks.

OK, so you might be a Toyota 4x4 guy if you:

-- Incessantly fix your 30 year old truck but talk about how reliable it is
 -- Get honked at by tractor-trailers for being too slow pulling away from a light
 -- Have races with other Toyotas to see whose ride is the slowest
 -- Lust after a longbed diesel Toyota dually
 -- Wish Toyota still sold real pickups (Hiluxes) in the US
 -- Get into friendly arguments about which generation looks coolest.
 -- Tell anecdotes about the legendary racing potential of Toyotas.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2017, 07:36:02 AM »
I love my milk like that!
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,217
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2017, 04:06:49 AM »
Early Toyota pickup and Runner ownership is a unique sub-culture.  There are many vehicle related clubs and “cultures”.  I think what makes Toyota different is you can use the vehicles to go off-road.  This opens the door for many activities beyond just belonging to a “car club” and driving on highway trip.

Performance modifications that are typical for car enthusiasts, like engine, exhaust, wheels is just a starting point for the modifications that are typical for a 4-wheel drive vehicle that goes off-road.  The camaraderie and fellowship that belonging to the Toyota 4-wheel drive community brings to an owner definitely provides opportunities for all kinds of experiences.

Then, of course there is the legendary reliability, durability, simple design (which makes it easier and enjoyable for the DIYer) and factory stock off-road capability.

A BIG THANKS to those, like Marlin, who have a culture-passion and genius to design and manufacturer parts to support the wants and needs of the 4-wheeling culture with aftermarket goodies.

Although my sand railing days will always be the best time of my early life, owning 4 Toyota trucks since 1986 has been the highlight of the last 31 years of my vehicle ownership.

Obviously, there are reams of pages of stories and experiences one can read about and many aspects to the “culture”.

Gnarls. :D

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2017, 04:16:35 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2017, 01:25:35 PM »
The smells are a topic on their own

passenger : do you smell gas/oil/antifreeze/exhaust?
nah, probably just one of these other cars :)

and then the burning smell is always fun. "am I on fire? I really don't wanna be on fire"...kinda do the rear view mirror check, no smoke, keep going! that happened a lot during my time in washington/idaho/montana...thought Old Red was about to burn to the ground but it was just the states that were on fire.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »
Just a little swagger....seems like I am always pulling out stuck jeeps.

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »
And of course "A BAD attitude" can develop. 

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2017, 11:22:21 AM »
I've never been able to relate to anything more than this.
My personal experiences with my 85 4x4, has been being passed my tractor trailers up parleys canyon in Salt lake.
And the constant saying of "My truck is reliable I swear!" As I break a motor mount on a bumpy road.

There really just is something about these trucks, no matter how bad of a day I could be having just hopping in my Yota brings a smile to my face.
First vehicle for me and hopefully I have it for a long time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2017, 07:37:32 PM »
Funny thing... That toyota is the same year, color and cab style as mine. Just curious Did you choose "Toybrota" on purpose to mean "broken toyota"? If so, yours is as reliable as mine besides being the same in other respects.

Perhaps we should start the brotherhood of the most holey order of the perpetually broken old red 1985 Toyota pickup. The initiation rite will to rebuild a 22R in the dead of winter 20 miles from cell service with nothing but two crescent wrenches and a hammer. I have never done this, but I just know the day is coming.

See? The sense of community generated by a bunch of flaky old pickups is just incredible! (Sorry, all of you whose Toyotas don't regularly break, aren't red, or were not made in '85 with an extra cab. You'll just have to start your own brotherhood)

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2017, 04:53:45 AM »
Within the 4x4 Toyota vehicle models, there are already sub-cultures.... pickups, 4Runners, and Cruisers.  Then of course, 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, etc.  All really cool because the sub-culture passion keeps the "old" alive.  :biggthumpup:

More culture clubs!  :beerchug:

Gnarls.  :D
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2017, 05:51:05 AM »
Funny thing... That toyota is the same year, color and cab style as mine. Just curious Did you choose "Toybrota" on purpose to mean "broken toyota"? If so, yours is as reliable as mine besides being the same in other respects.

Perhaps we should start the brotherhood of the most holey order of the perpetually broken old red 1985 Toyota pickup. The initiation rite will to rebuild a 22R in the dead of winter 20 miles from cell service with nothing but two crescent wrenches and a hammer. I have never done this, but I just know the day is coming.

See? The sense of community generated by a bunch of flaky old pickups is just incredible! (Sorry, all of you whose Toyotas don't regularly break, aren't red, or were not made in '85 with an extra cab. You'll just have to start your own brotherhood)
Love the idea, I haven't built an engine in the dead of winter, (yet) But I have done the drum brakes outside when it was 10 degrees, on the cold concrete.
I'd like to add, I'm good at drum brakes now haha.

Mine has been fairly reliable, took me to Moab, on trails that surprised even the most skilled Jeepers.

The Toyota culture just runs deep, anyone that has owned an old Yota will remember the noisy valves, the rust, the exhaust fumes that somehow get in no matter how much you try against it.  It's an experience

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2017, 11:45:25 AM »
In my club, I'm the "one of two" Toyotas, with mostly jeeps and a Scout.  They break down all the time on the trail, I maintain mine at home and don't see much of any trail problems at all, very reliable Toy!   :beer: :beer:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Aug 16, 2017, 05:52:37 AM »
...  anyone that has owned an old Yota will remember the noisy valves, the rust, the exhaust fumes that somehow get in no matter how much you try against it.  It's an experience

Well.... I've had pretty good luck at getting my rockers to quiet down by experimenting with the valve lash. :gap:

I've never had any issues with rust where I've lived.  :shakehead:

I have never had any issue with exhaust fumes.  :shakehead:

I have worked on my Toyota trucks when it's been 115d F here in sunny AZ!  :yikes:

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 16, 2017, 08:41:10 AM »
More culture clubs!  :beerchug:

I Remember pajama boy from the 80's.....no more culture club please!  :reg:

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #15 on: Aug 16, 2017, 08:44:01 AM »
Well.... I've had pretty good luck at getting my rockers to quiet down by experimenting with the valve lash. :gap:

I've never had any issues with rust where I've lived.  :shakehead:

I have never had any issue with exhaust fumes.  :shakehead:

I have worked on my Toyota trucks when it's been 115d F here in sunny AZ!  :yikes:

I've gotten my valves lashed right too, took about 5 times