Author Topic: It starts An overland build with a 3RD gen 2016 Tacoma!  (Read 10622 times)

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
It starts An overland build with a 3RD gen 2016 Tacoma!
« on: Jun 22, 2017, 04:25:54 AM »
I am sure everyone knows the Basics of the 2016 Tacoma's Spec's so I'll just skip the long list of stuff. Last August I got a Magnetic gray  2016  Double Cab TRD SPORT with a Six Speed Manual.  Word is that my truck and Big Mike's Truck where the last two to roll off the line in TX. Yes mike I was offered your White access cab or my gray Double cab back in February of last year, bet your glad I took the gray one.

So after months of waiting for a call, dealer gets a surprise come in on the transport.  So here she is fresh off the trailer not even inspected and ready for pickup yet.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m3kXwC]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m3gx19]
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2021, 10:50:59 PM by V-Man »

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
After a nice trip out to the east coast for Vacation, it is time to start planning the build.  But with winter coming and promises of a good snow fall this year, a new set of shoes for the truck are on top of the list.
( photos to follow when I find them)

A few things I noticed over the winter was that the air dam on the front bumper would sound like it was being torn off every time there was slush or snow on the roads. Also the truck with only the V6 liked to break the rear tires loose, and was in need of some more weight.  300 pounds of sand bags stacked behind the rear wheels seemed to bolt the truck to the road and traction was great. 

With spring came a few changes to the truck, nothing major but first was the air dam.

With the dryer weather I was able to crawl under the truck, and do so real thinking. You know the bottom of the Air Dam sits 10 to 12 inches "BELOW" the top of the skid plate and 6 to 8 inches below the bottom of the skid plate. One snow bank or mud puddle and I'll be buying a new Air Dam.

Now I feel better driving down a trail to go fishing..

At least this way it's safe in the crate, not laying on the road or trail.
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2021, 11:06:19 PM by V-Man »

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Next was an upgrade to the rear springs to help carry the extra weight of all the gear, tent, rack, spare tires, Fuel tank, etc.
No pictures of the work and the upgrade, but this may impress...2000+ pounds of soil per load.

Click for video... :thumbs:
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2021, 11:15:33 PM by V-Man »

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Next we dropped the truck off at a shop in Burlington for a new Bumper, a winch and a 3 inch Lift.  After looking at all the options and ways to upgrade the front suspension to carry the add weight of the bumper and winch the lift was the best choice. New coils for the weight, new shocks and struts all around, and new upper control arms to make alignments easy and give more droop then stock. Just don't go anywhere if you don't keep the wheels on the ground.

So this.......

gets me this.

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2021, 11:30:43 PM by V-Man »

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
I think we now have enough ground clearance. :thumbs:

I am 5'11", and the 35's are not on the truck yet..
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2021, 11:33:03 PM by V-Man »

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
:popcorn: dig it. thats one crazy bumper.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
:popcorn: dig it. thats one crazy bumper.

I wanted to get as much front coverage as possible so a prerunner or a no guard bumper would not have worked as well.  Shop had to do some trim work on the fenders at the front but it all looks great.  Next option is to get an aluminum ladder rack to carry the truck top tent( 4 Person version just because I am old and fat and need extra room.).  I am hoping to mount a Smittybuilt XL overland tent at the front of the rack so that when I open the tent up the entrance will be over the rear of the truck box. That way you walk/climb into the bed and then your shoes and coats can hang off the rack below the tent. I will be adding a cover( just a cheap tarp) around the the outside of the truck bed so you have a small mud room that you can leave wet boots/shoes and clothes to dry.  enclosing it will also allow me to use a heater to help dry stuff, and warm air will rise into the tent.

I also have an aluminum 50 Gallon Reefer and steel mounts to add to the bed of the truck. I am going to make it easy to remove, and use a Pneumatic fuel transfer system. Or in simple terms, I will use air pressure to push fuel out the bottom of the tank and allow me to refill my truck tank..  Best part is that it is "tiny" compared to the "10" gas cans I don't have to carry.   :thumbsup:   My truck tank is only about 15 gallons. 

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Looking forward to this build, I've driven a few of the 6 speed Tacoma's, definitely on my wish list!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SO Teen

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -25
  • Male Posts: 110
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
I'm sure the build it's going great. I wish I could see the photos but for some reason it is saying that I need to pay photobucket.com $300 to allow 3rd party hosting photos. Does anyone know anything about this? I've never seen this on a post before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just looking for some help on building my first Yota!!!

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I'm sure the build it's going great. I wish I could see the photos but for some reason it is saying that I need to pay photobucket.com $300 to allow 3rd party hosting photos. Does anyone know anything about this? I've never seen this on a post before.

Get an account with imgur. It works well. Better in fact than photobucket.
Works in the same way with the linking and what not
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=102169.0
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

SO Teen

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
Get an account with imgur. It works well. Better in fact than photobucket.
Works in the same way with the linking and what not

This is all I see all through this entire post. Will the pictures on the post need to be changed or is there no way for me to see them?

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I dont use tapatalk, just google chrome.
Unfortunately you will have to upload to imgur and re link everything but on the flip side your thread is fairly fresh and not 22 pages long
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile

This is all I see all through this entire post. Will the pictures on the post need to be changed or is there no way for me to see them?

Yup will have to replace them all from another hosting site.

SO Teen

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
Sorry v man. You don't have to go back through and repost all the previous ones. But would love to see pictures from now on

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Sorry v man. You don't have to go back through and repost all the previous ones. But would love to see pictures from now on

Not a problem.. Photobucket are also making it very hard for me to download my albums. I can get one per day. I download an album and then I get an email saying my account has been restricted for excessive activities. Then the next day I can download one more and then get the email.

Sucks since I am only home one to two days a month right now.

pcyc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Apr '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Great build
IG: snicklephritz87

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Hey can't have a build thread without a couple cheesy poser shots.. :snapshot:

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Ok now back to the serious stuff.

10 and 14 foot kayaks don't fit in a 5.5 foot bed so here is a fat guy installing a roof rack.

The rack came in black, but I repainted it in red for a quick test and to add some color.

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Well I am building an Expedition/Overlander so I guess some trips are needed..

A tease of my trailer build...Yes that is a 5 gallon can next to the tire....She has some lift.

A quick video....Roads? Who needs a road?
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2021, 12:25:09 AM by V-Man »

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
What's going in the trailer?
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
What's going in the trailer?

I am converting it to a sleeping unit.  With the likely below freezing temperatures, possibility of snow on many of our trips into the backwoods a roof/trailer top tent is not going to work.  There will be a micro wood stove( will likely cook us out of the trailer) for heating, cooking and making hot water( with a custom built jacket around stove. 

There is not much done inside yet, except.a sleeping platform.  It's going to be a spartan layout, with the only permanent pieces being the storage wall and stove in the nose of the trailer.  I also want to install a canvas four sided floor-less awning that can be removed and stored inside. 

Having looked at various off road trailers and off road campers there is nothing I can buy that has an indoor kitchen, or heating that is not made to use a generator or power at a campsite.

I guess you could say I am blessed and cursed at the same time. Blessed because I will get to do the extreme overland thing by designing and building most of my own gear, or adapting stuff from other uses. Like building a system for carrying extra fuel from a Reefer tank and using a Pneumatic transfer system.  Cursed because except for bumper, racks, and recovery gear, one one makes anything that I need. 

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Sub'd.  pics as the progress continues please.  I read Expedition Portal for ideas.  Tsunami preparedness here, camping/road trips  on the mainland.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Sub'd.  pics as the progress continues please.  I read Expedition Portal for ideas.  Tsunami preparedness here, camping/road trips  on the mainland.

Well my advice would be climb...with a max high just over 5,200 feet you may get high enough.  :help:

Although I would guess most of the Volcano is Park land with no vehicles allowed.

How's the feral pig population?  Rifle, Shotgun, Bow or spear I have what it takes..

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Rifle, bow or knife.  Hounds and pit bulls for the pigs.  They are ruthless and smart.  They know that when a pit locks on with it's jaw they will head for water and hold it under to drown it.

S for tsunami...I won the science fair in fifth grade predicting to the day when it hit.  The last big one would have 80ft. of water.  That's 40 over my roof.

I'll stop sidetracking your thread now.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
A tease of my trailer build...Yes that is a 5 gallon can next to the tire....She has some lift.

If you find the trailer axle to be a clearance issue, they make Axle-Less trailer suspension kits.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

V-Man [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
If you find the trailer axle to be a clearance issue, they make Axle-Less trailer suspension kits.

With 15 inches under the axle it's hard to find anything high enough to hit.  That is a 5,000lbs axle and it has two great qualities.  One I can get them for just over a hundred CDN( w/o spindles ) and they are very difficult to hurt. Believe me Karen has tried.. :yesnod: