Author Topic: Newer master cylinders  (Read 3792 times)

clemsonjeep

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Newer master cylinders
« on: Jun 20, 2017, 05:36:55 AM »
What kind of trickery is going on in these newer style brake master cylinders?  I've been screwing around with my brake setup on my buggy and looking around the junk yard I'm seeing some things I'm not use to.  For example...on a 1998 4runner 3.4 V6 it lists a 1" bore size, but rather than looking like a normal master cylinder the main bore appears to split off at the end and come back around to where the ports are for the brake lines. 

Just curious if anyone has a working knowledge of what's going on inside as compared to the older, more traditional style.  Here are some pictures...

« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2017, 05:44:49 AM by clemsonjeep »

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 722
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
Re: Newer master cylinders
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2017, 10:46:16 AM »
Dont mess with that junk from Rock Auto, or something from a junkyard.  Check out the big bore fj80 master cylinder on Marlin's website.  https://www.marlincrawler.com/brake/master-cylinder/big-bore-fj80-brake-master-cylinder   .  Those work great. Known people to run them on everything from FJ40's to 3rd gen pick ups.
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,222
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2017, 04:43:38 AM »
Dont mess with that junk from Rock Auto, or something from a junkyard.  Check out the big bore fj80 master cylinder on Marlin's website.  https://www.marlincrawler.com/brake/master-cylinder/big-bore-fj80-brake-master-cylinder   .  Those work great. Known people to run them on everything from FJ40's to 3rd gen pick ups.

While I appreciate the “sales pitch”…. I have purchased high quality items from Rock Auto, Marlin Crawler, and gotten some incredibly low cost useable items from a junkyard.

It’s all a matter of opinion, perspective and cost.  There are lots of options and competitive prices.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2017, 05:49:18 PM »
Word of advice:

Don't trash the competition.   

Just state you have the part/solution.

My tendency is to NOT trust a salesperson that trashes the competition...........
(and to trust them MORE if they mention the competition also has a good/valid solution.........)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2017, 07:41:26 AM »
Word of advice:

Don't trash the competition.   

Just state you have the part/solution.

My tendency is to NOT trust a salesperson that trashes the competition...........
(and to trust them MORE if they mention the competition also has a good/valid solution.........)

I wasn't trying to trash competition.  and yes rock auto does have some good parts, i just bought an air intake boot from them a couple of days ago.  But my experience with them is you never know what quality part you're going to get.  Some are good, some are not so good.  For things like air intake boot, or things that can fail and cause no real harm, I'll buy from them, a junk yard, auto recycler, where ever i can get a part cheap that will work.  With brakes that could affect my life I personally don't take the chance and will pay the extra for a trusted and true part. But once again that was just my opinion.
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2017, 03:27:34 PM »

I wasn't trying to trash competition.  and yes rock auto does have some good parts, i just bought an air intake boot from them a couple of days ago.  But my experience with them is you never know what quality part you're going to get.  Some are good, some are not so good.  For things like air intake boot, or things that can fail and cause no real harm, I'll buy from them, a junk yard, auto recycler, where ever i can get a part cheap that will work.  With brakes that could affect my life I personally don't take the chance and will pay the extra for a trusted and true part. But once again that was just my opinion.

Hi tevorg6,

I’ll share some thoughts that may help your salesmanship.  I like salespeople and I like Marlin Crawler.

You can tell me to piss off, and it will not hurt my feelings.  :biggthumpup:

First, you did, in fact, blatantly trash the competition. As emsvitil so succintly put it...  Not trashing the competition is Sales 101 first day of class.

Your answer appears to lack an understanding of what the OP’s question is and his level of interest in buying anything, and especially a top quality, very high priced master brake cylinder as his solution.

Today, the psychology and data science of sales is deep water and one of the most researched and analyzed topics on the planet.

So, I’ll only dip the tip of my finger in the water…. In the typical sales process there are 3 VERY basic steps you need to go through:

1 – Know your target customer
2 – Qualify the need
3 – Sell the solution not the product

You missed the boat on all three.

I don’t know how old you are or how long you’ve been in a sales role.  I assume that you are new to sales, or have been very badly trained.

Marlin Crawler, like other Toyota niche suppliers has a reputation for high quality products.

Typically Rock Auto, a huge online distributor, offers several choices of brands and perceived quality level based on the selling price on almost all the items the sell. They offer some very well known high quality products.

Most of people I wheeled with for 20+ years were passionate about their vehicle and loved the sport of 4-wheeling. Most were your average working middle class people.  Some had a larger budget to spend on their hobby and vehicle.  Some had very limited budgets, so they were looking for a budget solution that would work, but not toast their checking account or melt their VISA card.

I would make a wild guess many of people who buy from Marlin are middle class working people that appreciate the quality products and are willing spend the extra money to get that quality.

Your second post referring to a safety issue regarding the braking system is a good point.  However, based on the OP’s post, I have no idea what his “buggy” is and what kind of braking “setup” his wants or “been screwing around with”… perhaps you had more information?

In the very early days of my sales career, an old school, very experienced and very successful salesman told me… “Remember… sales is just helping people”.

If I were in your shoes after reading the OP’s post, I would have asked the OP a few questions to gain an understanding of what his application is, what is he trying to do with this setup, and what his budget is.

THEN….. I might be able to offer him one of my products that would meet his needs.  BUT, if it turned out he is just needing some proportioning, and I didn’t have that product, then I might suggest a Rock Auto online search, a parts yard, or send him to my closest friendly reciprocating competitor.  To your reference to a “trusted” part, I would have thanked him for the opportunity to be of service, then I would have spotlighted my high quality brake parts for any future needs he might have.

If you have any questions about Sales, Marketing, or Advertising… let me know, I’ll be happy to share my experiences, or give you a few hot tips…. No charge.

That's just my opinion - it may be worthless.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 03:47:39 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

T-Revv

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2017, 04:01:17 PM »
thanks gnarls. i wasn't trying to launch a full on sales pitch on the guy, i was trying to help him out by showing that we have that option available, i was giving him the information to let him make a decision based on his needs and budget.  And i realize i did trash the "competition", my response was that i wasn't trying to, it wasn't my intention to, but that is how it came out.  it was a poor choice of words on my part. 

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2017, 04:34:17 PM »
thanks gnarls. i wasn't trying to launch a full on sales pitch on the guy, i was trying to help him out by showing that we have that option available, i was giving him the information to let him make a decision based on his needs and budget.  And i realize i did trash the "competition", my response was that i wasn't trying to, it wasn't my intention to, but that is how it came out.  it was a poor choice of words on my part. 

Hi trevorg6,

My poor choice of words bites me in the butt often, so I won’t hold that against you.  :gap:

“it wasn't my intention”….   I believe your intention was good….  :thumbs:

“Good intentions are not enough. They've never put an onion in the soup yet.”

~ Sonya Levien

Gnarls. :beerchug: