Author Topic: Early Toyota trucks are disappearing from the USA!  (Read 7621 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Early Toyota trucks are disappearing from the USA!
« on: Jun 11, 2017, 04:41:51 PM »
If you have ever wondered why early Toyota trucks are getting hard to find…….

I’ve lived in Arizona for 26 years.  I’ve seen probably hundreds of Toyota trucks “In Tow” heading south to Mexico.

Since I live about 2 hours from the Mexico border, and daily travel Hwy 10 towards Tucson, I often see Toyota trucks In-Tow 2 or 3 times a month…. I’m only on the freeway about 35 minutes.

In the early years the trucks being towed were the 1st Gen, then the 2nd Gen, now they are really scarce, so the Tacos are being towed to Mexico now.

If I were a Mexican living in Mexico, I’d want to come here and bring back a legendary Toyota truck as well.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Nothing new. A lot of them end up in Guatemala not Mexico. I know a guy in the valley that buys them to take to Guatemala. Four trucks at a time.
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I see them at the wrecking yards galore when I drive to San Felipe every year. They are a desired vehicle down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
90'4runner......lots of goodies.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
damn bastids with their cool diesel ford rangers taking the only good trucks we have...
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
We should all be hording.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
When I was in Panama, I made a count of car makes during a half-hour bus ride. I think some of the results are relevant:

91 Cars surveyed, trucks, sedans, busses, you name it.
Toyota  28
Nissan  13
Hundai  9
Honda   8
Ford      8
Subaru  6
etcetera. Misc Mazda, Acura, Isuzu, BMW, and Cheverolet

See that bolded number? There were twice as many Toyotas on the road as any other single make.

The numbers in trucks were even more lopsided. I didn't count, but I'd guess 90% of the pickups were new-ish Hiluxes. Maybe a few Nissan. And if you saw a Chevy or Ford, you were practically assured that it said ACP on the side.

Moral: The US doesn't properly appreciate Toyotas. Therefore, we don't get the HiLux or HiAce nowadays, and those we have remaining go to places that do.

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
We passed those same guys on Saturday heading up HWY 58 out of Bakersfield (Tehachapi pass).  The poor green Taco was only going about 40 MPH.

19954Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -11
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Feb '14
  • slowly but surely
    • View Profile
2018 ford rangers will have diesels in them again in north America and Canada

damn bastids with their cool diesel ford rangers taking the only good trucks we have...
Toyotas owned
1982 longbed pickup 22R - sold
1995 4Runner w/ 22RTE - pulled engine and sold
1988 delux pickup  22RE - sold
1993 4Runner 3.0L - sold
1987 Pickup SR5 Turbo - current project
SAS, RUF, 63's, CT26 turbo

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
The drug traffickers love older Toyota trucks, parts are very interchangeable from one year to the next to keep things moving.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
The drug traffickers love older Toyota trucks, parts are very interchangeable from one year to the next to keep things moving.

Where did you find this out? It sounds believable and intriguing.

19954Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -11
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Feb '14
  • slowly but surely
    • View Profile
did you not see Narco's
Toyotas owned
1982 longbed pickup 22R - sold
1995 4Runner w/ 22RTE - pulled engine and sold
1988 delux pickup  22RE - sold
1993 4Runner 3.0L - sold
1987 Pickup SR5 Turbo - current project
SAS, RUF, 63's, CT26 turbo

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I've been approached by a buyer for them. 
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Interesting thread, makes me VERY worried as I'm heading to San Diego in a month, in my Toyota. These trucks get stolen all the time so I'm very worried about going down there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

gdmcondev

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Dec '16
  • Playing with my childhood TOY
    • View Profile
My TOY and I used to live in SD.  My Clifford alarm has saved it 3 times.  Pop the door handle, pop the keyway on column use a screwdriver to turn ignition.   I worry about it here too.  The truck attracts a lot of attention

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
My TOY and I used to live in SD.  My Clifford alarm has saved it 3 times.  Pop the door handle, pop the keyway on column use a screwdriver to turn ignition.   I worry about it here too.  The truck attracts a lot of attention
Good god, I'm getting real worried now. I have some kill switches I'm gonna wire in, probably sleep in the back too

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Good god, I'm getting real worried now. I have some kill switches I'm gonna wire in, probably sleep in the back too

I'm always worried about theft.  These truck are REALLY desired.  I have a steering wheel bar so that will slow a thief down for a few minutes.  A hidden kill switch also slows them down some.  The audible alarm probably helps deter a less sophisticated thief.

If the thief is the high caliber kind, and they want your vehicle bad enough, it doesn't matter what anti-theft devices you have installed, they will steal it.

Some years ago, my boss drove an $80,000 Porche. He parked it in an underground parking area, live guard at a gate, with walking security guards roaming the parking areas 24/7.  He had the most sophisticated alarm you could install at the time.  It was a very busy high rise business building in downtown Los Angeles.

Thieves got it in the middle of the day!

When I get my truck running right and driving it every day, I will be installing some anti-theft devices, just to give me some piece of mind.  There are some trace tracking devices I will be looking at.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2017, 03:08:47 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
More Toys going south of the border..

About 15 minutes after snapping those photos, I passed the Rest Stop and saw 6 to 8 more trucks parked together towing Toyotas!

Gnarls.  :yikes:

RB

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 93
  • Male Posts: 71
  • Member since Dec '10
  • Modify Everything
    • View Profile
snip...
Moral: The US doesn't properly appreciate Toyotas. Therefore, we don't get the HiLux or HiAce nowadays, and those we have remaining go to places that do.

Americans DO appreciate Toyotas as the success of the Taco on our roads clearly demonstrates(I swear in Maui every other car was a Taco), however we do not beat on our trucks the way the rest of the world does, and we repair our vehicles for the most part when they are damaged compared to the rest of the globe. Perhaps I should say that 'we' did not use the hilux to its full potential(according to Toyota marketing i guess), so they created the 'softer' Tacoma, compared to the Hilux. Personally, i think our Taco looks better than the Hilux, but everything else about the Hilux is more robust than than the Taco. I wonder if the demand for the Taco down south is due to reliability, and not necessarily heavy duty mini truck duties. Go to http://www.toyodiy.com/ and cross reference Taco and Hilux parts, it amazes me how many parts are not shared between models. towing and payload specs also tell the story.

I daily a 92' 22re  Pickup, in MD and have had many offers to buy my truck from gentlemen of south of the border. A neighboring office manager stopped me one day and asked what year my truck was, and that he used to own a similar long bed. He was from Guatemala, and told me that the those trucks are often hijacked at gunpoint. They take the truck, leave you on the side of the road and strip it to resell all the parts. Very bad men, as he explained. Funny, he drives an Escalade here in the states.
88' 4Runner
Build Thread

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
Americans DO appreciate Toyotas as the success of the Taco on our roads clearly demonstrates(I swear in Maui every other car was a Taco), however we do not beat on our trucks the way the rest of the world does, and we repair our vehicles for the most part when they are damaged compared to the rest of the globe.

Yes, I suppose we do. But in my opinion not nearly to the extent that some other parts of the world do, especially in minivans and trucks. Neglecting ACP vehicles (I think the ACP must have some kind of buying/supply arrangement with the US), it was always a surprise to me in Panama to see a truck that was not a HiLux. Or a 15-passenger van that was not a HiAce. Tacomas, Tundras, and Siennas were pretty much unknown. And I saw many trucks and vans.

Around here (WY) there are a good number of Tacomas and Tundras. But the don't reach anything like the ubiquity of the HiLuxes in Panama.

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
More Toys going south of the border..

About 15 minutes after snapping those photos, I passed the Rest Stop and saw 6 to 8 more trucks parked together towing Toyotas!

Gnarls.  :yikes:

It is obvious to me that there is only one option left us: Go to Mexico, Guatemala and other places in Central America and start a Toyota Cartel. We'll smuggle Hiluxes into the US inside loads of marijuana. :yupyup: